How much more accurate are the REVO shafts?

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
All I know is this, I would play the Revo even if it deflected more than the 314 and was less "accurate"
only because I love the hit of it and also the feeling of how smoothly it glides through your fingers.

My game has stepped up, both ball pocketing and position.

I'll second this. No only does it have extreme low deflection, I love the fact that it's never going to get dinged up. The tip that comes with is a great tip. All in all, a very nice shaft. I had to wait so I could get the radial joint model.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
About a month ago, I got a chance to play with a Predator Revo cue that Evan Lunda uses for well over an hour by myself and it is in a class by itself.

The quote from Predator's website that I used to start this thread may be an understatement about the 5-10% "accuracy" or "precision" improvement over their third generation shafts..

I try not to get bogged down in terminology and try to let the cue's performance do the talking.

JoeyA

I really think "more accurate" is a poor choice of words......
...shades of Meucci's claim of "deflectionless shafts" 30 years ago.

I think both would've been wiser to use the term "user friendly"......

...and 'user friendly' is a very subjective term...for me, LD gives me the opposite problem
that the old 13 mm shafts with ivory ferrules did...they MASSÉ too much on slow spin.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll second this. No only does it have extreme low deflection, I love the fact that it's never going to get dinged up. The tip that comes with is a great tip. All in all, a very nice shaft. I had to wait so I could get the radial joint model.

Yes dang it.....I LOVE that Predator soft tip.
I've played a lot with my Revo and it's only gotten marginally harder.
So little you can hardly notice it and I break all the time with it.
A soft or super soft Kamui would hit like a phenolic by now....lol

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am surprised by the lack of available joint configurations. Perhaps they will add more in time.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am surprised by the lack of available joint configurations. Perhaps they will add more in time.

They're just doing the two Uni-Loc's right now.
Don't know why.
Was Predator involved in inventing or marketing them?

JoeyA

Silver Member

I agree, hopefully they will add more in time. At this time, I believe they have limited capacity for production.

JoeyA

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seeing this cited I went to the web site to see what Predator says...

Predator REVO shafts are on average 5-10% more accurate than Predator’s third-generation shafts, depending on the velocity of the cue ball, distance to the object ball, and amount of spin used.

This kind of claim from a product manufacturer has the distinct whiff of BS. 5-10% more accurate than what exactly? What measurements were made? What kind of shots were hit? What scale was used? How were "accuracy" and "precision" defined?

Then to add all the "depending" caveats makes it even more BS-y.

You can market a shaft without using statistics that sound made up from whole cloth.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
it keeps the suckers updating their equipment.

golf has done it for decades. every year they come out with new clubs that hit it 10% farther and more accurately. after all this time drives would be a thousand or more yards if their claims were true. yet the suckers buy a new set for a thousand or more every year and believe it helps their game.

JoeyA

Silver Member
TOP PLAYERs are ordering REVO shafts. I think that is important.

JoeyA

Seeing this cited I went to the web site to see what Predator says...

Predator REVO shafts are on average 5-10% more accurate than Predator’s third-generation shafts, depending on the velocity of the cue ball, distance to the object ball, and amount of spin used.

This kind of claim from a product manufacturer has the distinct whiff of BS. 5-10% more accurate than what exactly? What measurements were made? What kind of shots were hit? What scale was used? How were "accuracy" and "precision" defined?

Then to add all the "depending" caveats makes it even more BS-y.

You can market a shaft without using statistics that sound made up from whole cloth.

golf has done it for decades. every year they come out with new clubs that hit it 10% farther and more accurately. after all this time drives would be a thousand or more yards if their claims were true. yet the suckers buy a new set for a thousand or more every year and believe it helps their game.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member

I believe I heard that they only plan on making it uni-lock & radial. I have 2 uni-lock 12.4mm & love them to death. I shoot with one & break with the other. Both have improved my game & I couldn't believe it since I was never a fan of ld shafts.

If they were to make other joint configurations in the future, I would definitely buy a 3/8x10 as all my customs have that pin.

I honestly bought a revo out of boredom & wanted to give it a try before I picked on it & the gimmick but I promise you it is awesome & made every aspect of my game better. I have 4 customs due to me this year & unless they make a 3/8x10 pin revo shaft by then, these 4 customs will spend most of their time in my 10x20 case at home.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TOP PLAYERs are ordering REVO shafts. I think that is important.

JoeyA
Sure, the likelihood of knowledgeable people to use a product can be important. That doesn't have anything to do with contesting bizarre claims of a "percentage" improvement with no supporting evidence.

Last edited:

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
When Predator made the claim that their Revo shafts were more accurate than their 3rd generation shafts, I have to believe that they have some data to back that up.

I'm sure Predator does have data...the question is how did they arrive at that data, or as it's known to those familiar with scientific research, what is their methodology behind the data at which they arrived. Did they have Mike Sigel play with a Revo and then Stevie Wonder with a regular a 3rd Generation shaft? Hyberbole to be sure, but you get get my point.

I would imagine that technology and R&D has allowed them to make a shaft that's superior in its structural integrity and therefore (I guess) its consistency, but how that translates into the numbers they're using is a whole big, fat unanswered question. -Z-

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm sure Predator does have data...the question is how did they arrive at that data, or as it's known to those familiar with scientific research, what is their methodology behind the data at which they arrived. Did they have Mike Sigel play with a Revo and then Stevie Wonder with a regular a 3rd Generation shaft? Hyberbole to be sure, but you get get my point.

I would imagine that technology and R&D has allowed them to make a shaft that's superior in its structural integrity and therefore (I guess) its consistency, but how that translates into the numbers they're using is a whole big, fat unanswered question. -Z-
Exactly.

"Less deflection" - believable. "More durable" - great. "More accurate" - what does that even mean? "5% more accurate" - give me a break.

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member

JoeyA

::: An admiring tip of the fedora :::

Well played, Sir.
Well played indeed.

Lesh

CVlP2fm.png

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm developing a new shaft with an awesomeness factor of 65. It's spingolity is 34 and the Kaibash-Nagasaki coefficient is 14.6! Can you believe that? I mean the spingolity alone makes it a true Cretaloan shaft, but with the Kaibash-Nagasaki being what it is, it makes it almost completely Cranilific!
Covfefe. Definitely Covfefe.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with a solid hard maple shaft. I went the LD route and went back to maple for good. Why complicate a complicated game? I am not being smart when I say I calculate the thinness of a cut with my eyes, not my shaft and I don't see where english has anything to do with it. I use the english to get to where I want to go. I look for the spot on the object ball that is furthest from the pocket. If I consider deflection it is done unconsciously through hitting a million balls.

Ignorance is bliss I guess lol

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

So how much time have you spent playing with it that you know it's b.s. ? I didn't update to the 314/3 because I felt it wasn't any better. Slightly different hit but not worth spending $300 for a new shaft. This is not a marginal increase. This is like golf going from wooden heads clubs to metal. Lol this is going from the old small head drivers to the new over sized head. There is a big difference

JoeyA

Silver Member
I guess I have to wonder why some of THE BEST POOL PLAYERS IN THE WORLD are using REVO shafts.

I thought it was the Indian and not the Arrow. :D:D

JoeyA

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
I guess I have to wonder why some of THE BEST POOL PLAYERS IN THE WORLD are using REVO shafts.
I thought it was the Indian and not the Arrow. :D:D JoeyA

How many of those Pros are part of Team Predator either straight up on contract or via the payola type perks of Influence Marketing? Then there's the goal of marketing. I'm not saying this is a case of the Emporer's New Clothes, but who isn't looking for an edge? Predator has the budget & the expertise to reach player's and flex their cred. Those of the means are usually willing to spend to get an edge, even if they only believe half of a products claim.

Now to their credit, Predator has brought the cuestick from the dark ages and feature cues that are on par (bad pun) with the equivalent technology that's advanced the performance of today's golf clubs. It seems to me every other cuestick manufacturer out there is chasing Predator's advances. So for those out there who are old enough to remember, Predator is like E.F. Hutton, when they talk, people listen. That being said, I still would like to read the methodology behind the percentage claims. -Z-

Last edited: