Are the best Taiwanese Players, as strong as the best from the Philippines?

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's how the hypothetical 10 v 10 would look according to Fargo:

Team Philippines
1. Dennis Orcollo 815
2. Carlo Biado 811
3. Lee Van Corteza 809
4. James Aranas 803
5. Jeffrey Ignacio 798
6. Jeffrey De Luna 796
7. Roland Garcia 796
8. Johann Chua 794
9. Anton Raga 794
10. Jerico Banares 793

Avg Fargo = 801.4

vs

Team Taiwan
1. Chang Jun Lin 817
2. Ko Pin Yi 815
3. Chang Yu Lung 807
4. Hsu Kai Lun 805
5. Ko Ping Chung 804
6. Cheng Yu Hsuan ("Kevin") 802
7. Fu Che Wei 796
8. Wu Kun Lin 796
9. Lo Li Wen 791
10. Yang Ching Shun 781

Avg Fargo = 800.9

So, essentially a dead heat through ten. .

I think if you include all games including one pocket and Banks, TPE still have a way to go. I’m sure they’ll get there.

Freddie

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
14.1 and 235 carom are also popular in Taiwan. Not so much in the Phillipines.

If we take a look at the list of the top 10 in Taiwan, do they have recognized accomplishments in 14.1, caroms, and Chinese 8-ball?

pooladdict

no doubt about it
Silver Member
I like that there are so many good Phillipines 1p players.

Have to disagree here, there are not "many" good 1p players in the Phillipines. The best rotation players have learned one pocket now the last couple of years, since thats where the money is. Just 3-4 years ago, it was only Efren and Django who really knew the game (and Alex if you count him as filipino)

Gambling wise, the filipinos never used to play 1p against eachother, only if they were forced to in order to win money from a foreign fish :smile:

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Just to add - The Phillipines has a population of about 104mm. Taiwan has a population around 23mm.

Eric

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is so funny because it’s not really true. I was in the front row of the DCC and was sitting next to a guy who would never been to one of these tournaments. And he’s from the Internet (last name is Manning). We are watching Jung Lin Chan play, and at one point the guy I am sitting with gasps.Literally gasped. I asked what’s up, I he said he can’t believe how much English this guy plays with even on what looks to be a simple shots . The gasp came on an extremely low left english to the edge of the cue ball, and the cueball was not going to a cushion. And this is Chang!, A player that everybody seems to believe has the best patterns because of his simplicity. And yet in the front row, you could see just how much English he actually uses. That’s the reality. I know everyone thinks he stays near the center. But he’s off-center over 60% of the shots, just like every other professional. And he goes to the “gobs of english “ well, just like every pro.

I think the Taiwanese stroke mechanics contuse people to make them believe they stay near the center. I read people say the same about Buddy Hall, but Buddy was the guy ai point to that used the most english I’d ever seen in my life at that point. Watching in person and with intent on their english use proves this over and over.

Freddie <~~~ in praise of reality

Yup. It's true the Taiwanese often play simpler patters, but they often MAKE them simple with loads of english. Wu is another one who spins the cueball like crazy to manufacture angles.

That said, I kinda agree that the top Taiwanese might be a hair above the top Philipinos. Not by much though. Would make an awesome Mosconi style match up. Who would like to see say Dennis, Carlo, James Aranas, Jeffrey DeLuna, and maybe Lee Van vs Chang Jung Lin, Wu, Hsu Kai Lun, Ko Pin Yi, and maybe Chang Yu Lung. That would be amazing.

KMRUNOUT

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yup. It's true the Taiwanese often play simpler patters, but they often MAKE them simple with loads of english. Wu is another one who spins the cueball like crazy to manufacture angles.

That said, I kinda agree that the top Taiwanese might be a hair above the top Philipinos. Not by much though. Would make an awesome Mosconi style match up. Who would like to see say Dennis, Carlo, James Aranas, Jeffrey DeLuna, and maybe Lee Van vs Chang Jung Lin, Wu, Hsu Kai Lun, Ko Pin Yi, and maybe Chang Yu Lung. That would be amazing.

KMRUNOUT
it happened within the last 6 months to a year.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is Taiwan on the same level, talent-wise?

The short answer - Yes! If their top players came over here and competed in our tournaments like so many Pinoys do, they would upset the apple cart so to speak. It would no longer be the same Filipino domination as we see now. It would be be Philippine-Taiwan domination and all the U.S. players would be left behind, except for Shane of course. Shane already has his hands full dealing with all the great Pinoy players who come here on a regular basis. They are his chief rivals. The above statements do not hold true for One Pocket events, which is the last domain of American pool players. Even here, the Pinoys pick up this game quickly and players like Alex and Dennis are threats in any One Pocket event they compete in, just like Efren and Bustie before them (who still play at a high level). The creativity of One Pocket is a good complement for the Pinoys who grew up playing Rotation. The Taiwanese players have not caught onto One Pocket yet for some reason and that's telling to me.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Good thread that underscores the quality of both Taiwan and the Philippines, and of Asian pool in general.

Yes, Josh Filler was the biggest story at the US Open in April. To me, though, nearly as big a story was that Asia captured six of the eight spots in the quarterfinals and three of the four spots in the semifinals.

Asian pool is scary good right now!

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to add - The Phillipines has a population of about 104mm. Taiwan has a population around 23mm.

Eric

Yes, and this is entirely under appreciated.

Taiwan is head and shoulders over anywhere else for pool talent.

It is about the size of Vermont and has about the population of Florida and yet it has 8 of the top 30 pool players on the planet and has 10 women rated over 700

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Yes, and this is entirely under appreciated.

Taiwan is head and shoulders over anywhere else for pool talent.

It is about the size of Vermont and has about the population of Florida and yet it has 8 of the top 30 pool players on the planet and has 10 women rated over 700

For sure. Statistically speaking, Taiwan is several standard deviations above the PI in Pool talent outliers. I figured you, if anyone, would appreciate that.

Eric >stats

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
If we take a look at the list of the top 10 in Taiwan, do they have recognized accomplishments in 14.1, caroms, and Chinese 8-ball?

What would you count as recognized accomplishments? 14.1 doesn't have any international events and 235 carom is a Taiwan-centric game (like one pocket is a US-centric game).

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
What would you count as recognized accomplishments? 14.1 doesn't have any international events and 235 carom is a Taiwan-centric game (like one pocket is a US-centric game).

Maybe I misunderstand what you're asking. I would consider deep runs in a 14.1 pro event as an accomplishment. Maybe someone has done a long run attempt. Are there any 200 ball runners? You said they play 14.1, so there must be tournaments of some kind? No? I don't recall Taiwan players doing well at the George Fels Challenge or at the Predator World 14.1. Maybe none have played.

Someone else mentioned Chinese 8-ball, so I was wondering if either Taiwan or the PI have any deep runs in those events.

Freddie

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Maybe I misunderstand what you're asking. I would consider deep runs in a 14.1 pro event as an accomplishment. Maybe someone has done a long run attempt. Are there any 200 ball runners? You said they play 14.1, so there must be tournaments of some kind? No? I don't recall Taiwan players doing well at the George Fels Challenge or at the Predator World 14.1. Maybe none have played.

Someone else mentioned Chinese 8-ball, so I was wondering if either Taiwan or the PI have any deep runs in those events.

Freddie

Chang Yu-Lung (9th/16th) and and Hsu Kai-Lun (17th/24th) finished in the money in the American Straight Pool Championship in 2017.

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member

Freddie

There is at least one 500 ball runner in taiwan and he placed 2nd in either a world 14.1 or 14.1 US open (first and only time he showed up), but he only plays 14.1. The mainstream Taiwanese don't come out to events in the US very often, but I am sure they have their own tournaments as does Japan.

Chinese 8 ball is honestly geared more towards snooker players. I don't think any american-style pool players will win an event and if they do it will be a fluke.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There is at least one 500 ball runner in taiwan and he placed 2nd in either a world 14.1 or 14.1 US open (first and only time he showed up), but he only plays 14.1. The mainstream Taiwanese don't come out to events in the US very often, but I am sure they have their own tournaments as does Japan.

Chin Min-Wai -- 2nd to Souquet in the 2000 U.S. Open Straight Pool Championship.

Can you tell us more about the run of 500+ -- when, where, table details, spectators, etc.? I have seen it listed on one website, but I know nothing about it.

Last edited: