"... within a couple weeks" - cue refinish frustration

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FYI, when payment is paid in full up front, sadly with some people there is then little incentive to complete the job. I’ve heard stories of this occurring quite often, in various labor intensive type professions.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
The cuemakers I worked with , Tim Scruggs, Jerry R, and Scott Sherbine.

I never had a bad experience with any of them.

A better question would be:

"Has anyone here NOT had a bad / horrible experience with getting their cue refinished whether it be price? Time frame? Horrible work?"

Pool players and cue collectors are reluctant to post anything negative about cue makers as the person or people relating bad experiences are usually crucified by personal friends of the cue maker.

Even the most notoriously bad cue makers have their defenders.

Logandgriff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Schon Refinish

I had a banged up STL 3 refinished by Schon earlier this year. They said they were running on an 8-10 week schedule when I ordered the refinish but I got the refinished cue back in under four weeks. The cue looks brand new. Heck, it might even be brand new, there is no way to tell. Very satisfied customer.

BigAlbert333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Update... Built myself up to ask for an update on my cue this morning...

The response I got was, "Send me your address and I'll ship it out next week, I'm almost done"

I replied with, "If the cue is not done by next Friday, just send it back as is finished or not with a tracking number"

I think I've been more than courteous, patient and direct and what's done is done. If I have to send it to Proficient Billiards, so be it. We'll see what comes back next week... A broom stick ����...

Thanks again for the input ��

snowmon34

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You may as well name the guy. It looks like you lost your money and cue. I feel bad for you.

Just another cue builder putting you on ice because he's been prepaid ...
Your best move is to out this POS!!

I placed an order with Mike Bender for 2 cues on September 8 2013.

I sent him down payment, I've talked to him a handful of times 2015-2018.

Mike always had an excuse for why the cues weren't completed.. Mike told me he would email some progress pictures but never did.

I haven't heard from this Mother F()@&eR in over 2 years.

Sept 8, 2020 will be 7 years lol

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Just another cue builder putting you on ice because he's been prepaid ...
Your best move is to out this POS!!

I placed an order with Mike Bender for 2 cues on September 8 2013.

I sent him down payment, I've talked to him a handful of times 2015-2018.

Mike always had an excuse for why the cues weren't completed.. Mike told me he would email some progress pictures but never did.

I haven't heard from this Mother F()@&eR in over 2 years.

Sept 8, 2020 will be 7 years lol

7 years for a couple of cues and still not done??? How many inlays are you getting?????:banghead::banghead::banghead:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
one a year!

7 years for a couple of cues and still not done??? How many inlays are you getting?????:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Sounds like about one inlay a year. A shame, one of the finest cues I have ever seen and shot with was a Bender.

Hu

snowmon34

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

No Inlays, players cues made with standard woods..

Wrapless PJ with rings.
2 shafts

5 point 4 veneer with rings at the joint.
2 shafts

Mike told me approx 2 years since the cues were simple builds. So I figured 2-3 years. 6 years 11 months later we must be getting close??? ��

As I said I haven't talked to him in over 2 years..

Good news is the unfinished cues must be really stable.. lol

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cue makers are like contractors. You can take the time estimate and double it. ...
The rule of thumb where I worked (on projects that were part of larger projects) was to take the time estimate from the engineers, triple it and also take the next higher unit of time:

2 weeks --> 6 weeks --> 6 months

It was accurate distressingly often.

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
From a Cue maker realisticly?

4-6 months depending on when they are finishing a batch getting ready to spray. Up to 2 months to spray and buff no sandpaper. Repair shop? Two-four weeks. Sandpaper and sweat. Not a $600 finish but nice work.
Get what you pay for . Sometimes speedy work is just that. Speedy.
Tim Scruggs personally liked the Proficient Billiards work when he saw one of his Cues don by them.
It was not a $600 or even $400 refinish but good enough for Tim to compliment on.
Nick :)

Last edited:

BigAlbert333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
*** UPDATE *** and conclusion...

I finally had enough and contacted the cue maker. Aug 8th. I asked him status of the cue. His response was to send him my address and it'd be shipped the following week. I kindly told him that if the cue wasn't done BY Friday, to send it back AS IS.

One week had gone by and never got a messag that cue was shipped. Again I reached out and was persistent in asking if the cue had been shipped. I was told that he was out of of the town and he'd ship it when he'd get back...

Finally, two weeks later he reached out that'd he'd ship it. He had a few choice of words for me as I did for him. We kept it civil but direct and to the point. We were never disrespectful towards one another but our choice was of words were firm. I do feel that he tried to hold me accountable due his high demand in cue work. But hey I look at it like this. Why take on another project if your hands are tied up with "all these other projects"

Fortunately, I won't be contacting him anymore whatsoever for any work. Kinda sad... I chose his cue out of many but hey we learn and move on.

My cue was finally on it's way not knowing exactly what I'd receive once I opened it. Not to mention USPS. Delivered it 2 days later than expected. So upon receiving the package... The cue came in 100% finished! I couldn't be happier with the work. Even the engraving on the butt was better than expected... I'm extremely satisfied despite having to haggle him for it. Kinda bummed things ended the way they did. But finally my cue is in my possession.

Thank you all for the valuable advice and Patrick too!

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good for you. I'm glad it worked out.

I wonder if you hadn't given him an ultimatum, how much longer would it have gone on. :eek:

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
*** UPDATE *** and conclusion...

I finally had enough and contacted the cue maker. Aug 8th. I asked him status of the cue. His response was to send him my address and it'd be shipped the following week. I kindly told him that if the cue wasn't done BY Friday, to send it back AS IS.

One week had gone by and never got a messag that cue was shipped. Again I reached out and was persistent in asking if the cue had been shipped. I was told that he was out of of the town and he'd ship it when he'd get back...

Finally, two weeks later he reached out that'd he'd ship it. He had a few choice of words for me as I did for him. We kept it civil but direct and to the point. We were never disrespectful towards one another but our choice was of words were firm. I do feel that he tried to hold me accountable due his high demand in cue work. But hey I look at it like this. Why take on another project if your hands are tied up with "all these other projects"

Fortunately, I won't be contacting him anymore whatsoever for any work. Kinda sad... I chose his cue out of many but hey we learn and move on.

My cue was finally on it's way not knowing exactly what I'd receive once I opened it. Not to mention USPS. Delivered it 2 days later than expected. So upon receiving the package... The cue came in 100% finished! I couldn't be happier with the work. Even the engraving on the butt was better than expected... I'm extremely satisfied despite having to haggle him for it. Kinda bummed things ended the way they did. But finally my cue is in my possession.

Thank you all for the valuable advice and Patrick too!

glad you got your cue and it's looking good

best,
brian kc

Last edited: