Shane vs. 5 Filipinos at the Open

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
The murderers row of the pool world.

It's really hard to pull for one over the other.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I think it would only be Shane vs. a couple Filipinos because he doesn't have to play all five of them. :)

It is amazing though that the Chinese contingent didn't finish higher nor did any of the other top players from around the world. Five of the top six is impressive seen from a country perspective.

Guess the Chinese might be feeling a little bit of what the foreigners feel when they come to China, jet lag coupled with different conditions. The Filipinos are used to the conditions. I feel a bit bad for Daz though as a three peat would have been historical.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember during one of the IPT tournaments they had a group picture of all these pinoys standing in a line. I believe the only one missing from the picture is Marlon Manalo.

EDIT: Oh, and Busty was also in the pic.

Last edited:

vincentwu817

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it would only be Shane vs. a couple Filipinos because he doesn't have to play all five of them. :)

It is amazing though that the Chinese contingent didn't finish higher nor did any of the other top players from around the world. Five of the top six is impressive seen from a country perspective.

Guess the Chinese might be feeling a little bit of what the foreigners feel when they come to China, jet lag coupled with different conditions. The Filipinos are used to the conditions. I feel a bit bad for Daz though as a three peat would have been historical.

I think the Filipinos are simply just more comfortable in different situations just because they are more used to travelling and playing in all types of environments. Chang Jung Lin from Taiwan had a good finish though considering that the people he lost to are Alex and Ronnie. If it was a format of magic rack with side breaks, I would give the edge to Chang to take it all, but the Filipinos are definitely more versatile to different playing conditions and formats.

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
at the beginning of the open i had ronnie, dennis, busty, and carlo biado as my favorites. even though i was all wrong, no surprise its still the men from the PI standing. they all play very well it's like an "any given sunday" type situation.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I think the Filipinos are simply just more comfortable in different situations just because they are more used to travelling and playing in all types of environments. Chang Jung Lin from Taiwan had a good finish though considering that the people he lost to are Alex and Ronnie. If it was a format of magic rack with side breaks, I would give the edge to Chang to take it all, but the Filipinos are definitely more versatile to different playing conditions and formats.

I agree. That was also my point, them going to many different places to play puts them into a better to position to excel despite the conditions.

I really expected to see some of the Chinese and Taiwanese do better but I think it's due to the conditions and the jet lag that they didn't do better. I talked with Oscar Dominguez and he said all the guys he has played in China are invited to come to his house and play on his tables for as much as they carry. He just feels like the conditions in China vs. the USA are worth several games at the minimum.

He ought to know. FWIW though I also think that Filipinos also have a natural disposition to not caring too much about the conditions and adapting to them. Nothing wrong with the US Open conditions just saying that I think that they have the attitude that they can walk into any situation and PLAY.

Now having said that, when Luat was here a month or so ago he played a couple low stakes matches and one of them on Chinese conditions, super fast cloth with weird reactions off the rails he lost because he could not keep control of the cue ball. The next night he played on an old Gold Crown with slower cloth and he won.

But really, to end up with five of the top six spots!!!

Someone needs to get the American pros together and put them through constant match play like the Filipinos in Manila. I wish I had the money, I would back an American team and do just that. Not because I think that the Americans would dominate, those days are over now that the rest of the world has caught up, but because I think that Americans are simply too soft right now due to lack of constant competition for pecking order.

vincentwu817

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree. That was also my point, them going to many different places to play puts them into a better to position to excel despite the conditions.

I really expected to see some of the Chinese and Taiwanese do better but I think it's due to the conditions and the jet lag that they didn't do better. I talked with Oscar Dominguez and he said all the guys he has played in China are invited to come to his house and play on his tables for as much as they carry. He just feels like the conditions in China vs. the USA are worth several games at the minimum.

He ought to know. FWIW though I also think that Filipinos also have a natural disposition to not caring too much about the conditions and adapting to them. Nothing wrong with the US Open conditions just saying that I think that they have the attitude that they can walk into any situation and PLAY.

Now having said that, when Luat was here a month or so ago he played a couple low stakes matches and one of them on Chinese conditions, super fast cloth with weird reactions off the rails he lost because he could not keep control of the cue ball. The next night he played on an old Gold Crown with slower cloth and he won.

But really, to end up with five of the top six spots!!!

Someone needs to get the American pros together and put them through constant match play like the Filipinos in Manila. I wish I had the money, I would back an American team and do just that. Not because I think that the Americans would dominate, those days are over now that the rest of the world has caught up, but because I think that Americans are simply too soft right now due to lack of constant competition for pecking order.

It is definitely tough to adjust when most of the tournaments in Asia are played on brand new table conditions on fast cloth with the magic rack. The "break box" concept I am sure is very foreign to the players from Taiwan/China and I feel like that is one reason why they didn't finish as high as we expected them to. With the magic rack being the rack of choice in Asia, the game has turned into people stringing multiple racks and that is the strength of those players.

However, with the players that are left in the tournament, I don't find it surprising that none of the Taiwanese and Chinese players finished higher. The field is pretty strong, and the strong Filipino players are playing extremely well.

With that said, I've always wished, and I am sure it is the same with everyone that the payout for pool tournaments were higher. If that is the case, we will actually see fields with the best players in the world in every major tournament.

Appreciate your input John.