Am I now just an old guy?

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last night in our league I played a solid B player. I feel that if I play well I can play with him and beat him. In fact I have several times. However my ego was tweaked because the league dropped me to a 6. So, I need to beat this guy just to let everyone know they are wrong and I still have it. Now here is the frustrating part. I beat him on the table but lost because of end game strategy. I shot when I should have played safe and I played safe when I should have been aggressive and shot. On two occasions I missed key shots that weren't hangers but I should have made. As my old partner would say I was guilty of "stinkin' thinkin' " I should have beaten him 5-2 and instead I lost 5-3.

Over the years I watched older guys play great and make that one critical mistake that costs them. I guess I have reached that state. I tried, I really tried to bring back the "I ain't losin' to this guy" feeling but I just couldn't get it to manifest itself.

So, is this what I have to look forward too? Do I just now get to beat up the other 6's but lose to someone that is slightly better? Or is that my problem, thinking that someone is "slightly better"?

Come on you older guys, what is suddenly going on?

Bob

Last edited:

Jodacus

Shoot...don't talk
Silver Member
Instead of feeling "I ain't losing to this guy".

I think "I'm gonna teach this youngster how to play".

It works for me.

Good Luck
Old Joe

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Instead of feeling "I ain't losing to this guy".

I think "I'm gonna teach this youngster how to play".

It works for me.

Good Luck
Old Joe

sigh...that's how I used to be. And there is no sweeter feeling in pool than doing that to someone you know is thinking that you represent an easy win for him because you are an old timer.

Bob

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
People have good and bad days and do stupid things at any age. I wouldn't sell the farm just yet. However, I doubt it was just one bad night that got you down to a 6 so maybe you are just old now.

:)

j/k

Albatross Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find the older I get, the bigger the pool table needs to be, so I can stay sharp.
Next year I am investing in a 6x12, let those youngsters try to beat me then.lol

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People have good and bad days and do stupid things at any age. I wouldn't sell the farm just yet. However, I doubt it was just one bad night that got you down to a 6 so maybe you are just old now.

:)

j/k

I'm old (64) and I am a realist. I know the slide is coming. Just thought I would rant where at least people empathize. Can't talk to the wife about this kind of stuff. Her eyes glaze over and I get the ummmm-huh's

Bob

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
I'm old (64) and I am a realist. I know the slide is coming. Just thought I would rant where at least people empathize. Can't talk to the wife about this kind of stuff. Her eyes glaze over and I get the ummmm-huh's

Bob

This is the time though, where you start using all those years of experience over the whipper snapper know it alls.

;)

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
I may not be old enough to weigh in on this discussion, but I have witnessed, and had conversations with, some of my older pool playing friends. I have witnessed a decline in the game of many aging veterans of the game, whom I have long respected. Though I have not reached this point, myself, I certainly understand that I will, one day.

Everyone's game changes as they age. Some for the better, some for the worse. You can attribute a decline in your game to a number of things: diminishing eye sight, lack of practice, change in rules/equipment...

You have to be honest with yourself, and understand your current strengths and weaknesses. I believe that it is incredibly important to keep your ego in check. Instead of recalling 'the way it used to be', understand 'the way it is now'. If you are currently struggling with a specific shot, it is important to be aware of that, and address it differently. I don't believe that you have to necessarily be the better player, to win a set, but I believe that the player who truly understands his strengths and weaknesses has the stronger advantage.

Good luck.

oldplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Bob

sorry to advise....at 70 yrs old it is not so much as a "slide" as it is a straight drop down, more like jumping out of a plane......:sorry:

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds to me, age has nothing to do with it. With age, you can lose some fine motor skills, which means you lose a little "touch" in the game. Maybe lose some eyesight too. But, you don't forget how to play the game until dementia sets in. You stated that you flat out made wrong choices. Sorry, but that is just lack of knowledge, not age. But, you did learn you made the wrong choices, so you aren't to old yet to learn new things!

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At what age are you considered an older guy?

I'm 72 & I still play pretty good. I have 2 busted up legs, 2 bad eyes, a broken crooked spine & my shooting elbow won't open up straight for a longer stroke.

With all that, I still compete & win. I can't play with the Pros, but I'm a competitor with 7 & 8 Speeds in Tulsa, OK

Just last month, I played in 8 tournaments with 7 & 8 Speeds. I won half the tournaments & was in the money in the rest.

I see problems with the mind trying to pump me up or deflate my positive attitude, so I try hard to prevent that. With all that is said, I feel it is meaningful practice, feeling good at the time, because of good rest & blanking as much thinking out as is possible. I believe in the phrase, "One shot at a time".

And of course, I have a new Guido Orlandi "Shoot Straight" Cue

I hate to lose

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm 67 and have been playing at a fairly high level for over 50 years.
I have always been a gun slinger which means my head says play safe but I fire at it anyway.
So getting older those real tough shots have gotten harder but my gun slinger side says I can still make the shot.
It's gotten harder to play the safe instead of firing ..................................................
I still want to fire :banghead:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Bob

at 60 years old i have those thoughts also when i lose games i feel i should have not lost.

i lost tue night playoffs 4-2 in a 4-4 race. i gave him 3 racks due to mistakes a person at my level should not make.

then again i have nights where i play way above my level.

last 2 weeks of 9 ball i won 19-1 vs a 4 and 18-2 vs a 5. won my last 2 weeks of 8 ball ...both races were 4-4 and i won 4-0 and 4-2.

i have just learned to accept the fact that there are just gonna be some nights where you cant do nothing right and some nights where you cant do nothing wrong.

duckie

GregH
Silver Member

Bob

With this mindset, you already lost before you got to the table.

Play the table........not the person.

You thought yourself into losing.

FWIW, I'll be 61 in march and haven't reached my peak in playing pool. The best is yet to come.

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With this mindset, you already lost before you got to the table.

Play the table........not the person.

You thought yourself into losing.

FWIW, I'll be 61 in march and haven't reached my peak in playing pool. The best is yet to come.

Duckie that is exactly what my conclusion has been. I shot better than him. I still make a long cut up the rail that the young guys have no idea is coming, or make 3 or 4 rail perfect position. I'm just really ticked that I lost because of...me. That "stinkin' thinkin' " I was talking about.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm 72 & I still play pretty good. I have 2 busted up legs, 2 bad eyes, a broken crooked spine & my shooting elbow won't open up straight for a longer stroke.

With all that, I still compete & win. I can't play with the Pros, but I'm a competitor with 7 & 8 Speeds in Tulsa, OK

Just last month, I played in 8 tournaments with 7 & 8 Speeds. I won half the tournaments & was in the money in the rest.

I see problems with the mind trying to pump me up or deflate my positive attitude, so I try hard to prevent that. With all that is said, I feel it is meaningful practice, feeling good at the time, because of good rest & blanking as much thinking out as is possible. I believe in the phrase, "One shot at a time".

I hate to lose

Thanks for the clarification on what constitutes old. I'm 63. Older than some younger than others. Played avidly in poolrooms from the age of 14 to 20 when I left for college and was considered pretty good. Took the game up 9 months ago after 40 some years away and I think I'm now as good as I ever was and am looking to improve. When I got back I still "saw the table." That never goes away I don't think but the execution took some time. I will say this I have exercised all of my life and still hit the gym hard 4 days a week. You should try it for staying sharp. In my opinion there is only two things in life that are real magic: exercise and compound interest. Just try it for a couple of months. I bet you will see a difference.

dougster26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I hate to lose

Damn, I'm 72 and I don't shoot that great ! Do you think if I got into a car wreck that that would help my game any?

Jim Baxter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll be 71 in April , and on my team the youngster is 56 , Everyone is 65 or older and 1 is 74 . We won our championship year before last and 2ed last yr. and are tied for 1 this yr .so far , league over in April , I expect 1st or 2ed , again . Tight league , 14 teams . We never push out or call safties , No reason to , we do not play ball in hand , call pocket 8 all is our game .

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Damn, I'm 72 and I don't shoot that great ! Do you think if I got into a car wreck that that would help my game any?

Well, I used to play even better, but my stamina isn't what it used to be.

As far as playing better after a car wreck, I can attest to that. It's amazing what your "WANT TO" can do, if you really want something bad enough.

You have to gauge your accident though, too much & you'll be dead. I was standing between my trailer & my SUV, when a drunk hit my trailer at 65 mph. That almost broke my back again & tore my leg off, just below the knee. It was awful looking..

Good Luck to you...