Video Encyclopedia of Eight Ball (VEEB) example clips

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Pryme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a newcomer to the game and a "student", your material has taught me so much. Great work Dr Dave! And Thank You!

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good idea for a video set, with 8-ball such a popular league game. You and Bob do great work.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
As a newcomer to the game and a "student", your material has taught me so much. Great work Dr Dave! And Thank You!
Thank you for the positive feebdback. I'm glad to hear that you like and benefit from my stuff. Please help spread the word about my instructional products.

I aim to swerve, :grin-square:
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Good idea for a video set, with 8-ball such a popular league game. You and Bob do great work.
I think VEEB has the largest potential impact of any of the stuff I have worked on, assuming typical league players will be interested.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bob and I are curious about which of the sample clips you guys like the most (and are helpful), and which ones you like the least (or are least helpful).

Thank you,
Dave

Mooneye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like another great pool resource! Thanks Dr. Dave and Mr. Jewett. I liked the pocket blocker and key ball examples and the safety examples the most. The straight in shot options and 2nd ball break were probably what I was most familiar with...but they're all good! I ordered a set, like all your videos they're a great deal.

Thanks again,

Larry M

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
Bob and I are curious about which of the sample clips you guys like the most (and are helpful), and which ones you like the least (or are least helpful).

Thank you,
Dave

I shall watch all and get back to you. So far I like the second ball break and straight in position. I play a fair amount of one pocket so the first safety attempt you guys went over had me hoping he was going to bring the object ball back to the cue ball. That would have been a nice example if feathering wasn't an option!

Edit: Watched both racks 8 and 9, both were good outs. The breakout in rack 9 seemed a little too risky. I'm not saying it was the wrong shot, but what about the 7 ball being a pretty natural way to break out the 2? Obviously I'm not down on the table so I could very well be wrong. It almost looks like being on the left side of the seven offers top spin into the 14, pushing the 2 towards the corner and leaving shape for the 3 and 6. I will continue watching!

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Looks like another great pool resource! Thanks Dr. Dave and Mr. Jewett. I liked the pocket blocker and key ball examples and the safety examples the most. The straight in shot options and 2nd ball break were probably what I was most familiar with...but they're all good! I ordered a set, like all your videos they're a great deal.
Thanks Larry. I hope you like them. Whether you do or not, please let us know.

Thanks again,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I shall watch all and get back to you.
Thanks. We look forward to hearing what you and others think about our work.

So far I like the second ball break
That's one of my favorites also since we cover it in more detail than I've seen elsewhere. (We also discuss and demonstrate the 3rd-ball break on the DVD).

and straight in position. I play a fair amount of one pocket so the first safety attempt you guys went over had me hoping he was going to bring the object ball back to the cue ball. That would have been a nice example if feathering wasn't an option!
Agreed. That would have been good to include.

Catch you later,
Dave

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
Thanks. We look forward to hearing what you and others think about our work.

That's one of my favorites also since we cover it in more detail than I've seen elsewhere. (We also discuss and demonstrate the 3rd-ball break on the DVD).

Agreed. That would have been good to include.

Catch you later,
Dave

Watched both racks 8 and 9, both were good outs. The breakout in rack 9 seemed a little too risky. I'm not saying it was the wrong shot, but what about the 7 ball being a pretty natural way to break out the 2? Obviously I'm not down on the table so I could very well be wrong. It almost looks like being on the left side of the seven offers top spin into the 14, pushing the 2 towards the corner and leaving shape for the 3 and 6. I will continue watching!

The drag video was very good and you may have talked about this in the DVD, however I hope you mentioned inside drag in order to hold the cueball of the rail.

Watched the throw video as well and am glad you encourage its use on shots in this range. I have a bad habit of throwing certain shots in when it isn't necessary.

Safety video was perfect.

End game video was perfect.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Watched both racks 8 and 9, both were good outs. The breakout in rack 9 seemed a little too risky. I'm not saying it was the wrong shot, but what about the 7 ball being a pretty natural way to break out the 2? Obviously I'm not down on the table so I could very well be wrong. It almost looks like being on the left side of the seven offers top spin into the 14, pushing the 2 towards the corner and leaving shape for the 3 and 6. I will continue watching!
I agree that my break-out was a little risky. Although, it would have been a little tricky to get position on the 7; otherwise, I agree.

The drag video was very good and you may have talked about this in the DVD, however I hope you mentioned inside drag in order to hold the cueball of the rail.
We have a couple of position-play examples elsewhere in the DVDs that use inside to help hold the CB, but not in the drag section. I agree with you that an example in the drag section would have been good.

Watched the throw video as well and am glad you encourage its use on shots in this range. I have a bad habit of throwing certain shots in when it isn't necessary.
You're not the only one; although, outside can help limit cling/skid/kick, so it's not always a bad idea on slow-stun hold shots, even at larger distances.

Safety video was perfect.

End game video was perfect.
Thanks!

I appreciate your thorough feedback and good suggestions.

Best Regards,
Dave

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very good stuff. I really am going to have to buy some of your DVDs!

One thing that I did not see was much discussion of different options depending on the skill level of (a) the shooter; and (b) the opponent. This is really obvious if you play in a league that allows a time out - sometimes you see an advanced player suggesting the "best" safety (or offensive) option (which is best for an advanced player) where the beginning player really should be advised to shoot an easier safety (or offensive shot) even though the result will not be ideal.

The skill level of the opponent is similarly a factor. Can he jump balls? How well can she kick?

This is something that each player deals with in many games, and can sometimes overlap with discussions of the best shot (e.g., Option A is not a lock-up safe, but has a larger margin for error, Option B is a lock-up, but harder) but I think when we discuss strategy we tend to look at one option as being the best, whereas what is best changes with the skill level of both players. The old 8-ball advice of "don't run your balls unless you can get out", or "attack your problem balls early" is excellence advice to a good player against another good player, but not for two low level players.

Gideon<----Not getting into a safety battle with Efren.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would like to see you use a more difficult table. Missing doesn't look possible.
An 8' table is ideal for filming a project like this, providing a happy medium between a 9-footer and a bar box. It is also very easy to get close-up camera views that include the entire table. Also, it is much easier to film the really tough stuff (e.g., in VEPS), that would take 10-times as long (with many more "takes") on a bigger table with tighter pockets.

But I agree with you that compared to a tight 9' table, my table (TDF = 0.84) plays very easy.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Very good stuff. I really am going to have to buy some of your DVDs!
Thank you. I'll keep an eye out for your order.

One thing that I did not see was much discussion of different options depending on the skill level of (a) the shooter; and (b) the opponent. This is really obvious if you play in a league that allows a time out - sometimes you see an advanced player suggesting the "best" safety (or offensive) option (which is best for an advanced player) where the beginning player really should be advised to shoot an easier safety (or offensive shot) even though the result will not be ideal.

The skill level of the opponent is similarly a factor. Can he jump balls? How well can she kick?

This is something that each player deals with in many games, and can sometimes overlap with discussions of the best shot (e.g., Option A is not a lock-up safe, but has a larger margin for error, Option B is a lock-up, but harder) but I think when we discuss strategy we tend to look at one option as being the best, whereas what is best changes with the skill level of both players. The old 8-ball advice of "don't run your balls unless you can get out", or "attack your problem balls early" is excellence advice to a good player against another good player, but not for two low level players.
Excellent point. We don't address this in any of the sample clips posted, but we do discuss this sort of thing throughout the entire series.

Regards,
Dave

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I am proud to announce that Bob Jewett and I ...
Sold.

Every volume in Dr. Dave & Bob's "Video Encyclopedia" series is the most densely packed, authoritative and reliable information available anywhere, presented in the clearest and most useful way. They're building a real encyclopedia of pool instruction and knowledge.

If everybody bought the whole series nobody would ever lose again.

pj <- totally biased
chgo

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks Pat!

We should hire you as our Marketing Director (without pay, of course). :grin:

I hope all of the 8-ball league players out there who really want to get better share your enthusiasm.

Catch you later,
Dave

Sold.

Every volume in Dr. Dave & Bob's "Video Encyclopedia" series is the most densely packed, authoritative and reliable information available anywhere, presented in the clearest and most useful way. They're building a real encyclopedia of pool instruction and knowledge.

If everybody bought the whole series nobody would ever lose again.

pj <- totally biased
chgo

Last edited: