So, are the old Gandy Big G tables really all that bad?

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or is it just that the GCs are that much better?

I grew up in GA in the late '60s and Big Gs were pretty much the standard table in this area. And I later had 2 different ones in my homes over the years. Heck, we all thought they were great but maybe we just didn't know any better.

Anyway, I'll be looking for a 9 foot table soon for our retirement home now under construction and naturally I thought I'd just find an older Big G and have a good mechanic set it up right. That is, until I started reading this forum!

I'm of course aware of the Gold Crowns, but I would have thought that the real slate on the Gandys would easily trump the Brunstone on the GCs. That doesn't seem to bother anyone though, so maybe I need to think again.

Opinions with first-hand knowledge would sure be appreciated.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
During their time they were not bad, maybe even better than GC BUT NOTHING CAN TOUCH A DIAMOND THESE DAYS

Not even close to GC.
GC's had the Monarch and Super Speed cushions .
Better than any of the K66 on G's.
The frames of G's are not nowhere near GC's frames.
Big G's vibrated too much. You bump a Gandy, you see a table shake.
You bump a GC, nothing happens.
The slates on the GC I and II were pinned.
Gandy's, doubt it.
They were also infamous for warped frames and rails here.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

I grew up in GA in the late '60s and Big Gs were pretty much the standard table in this area. And I later had 2 different ones in my homes over the years. Heck, we all thought they were great but maybe we just didn't know any better.

Anyway, I'll be looking for a 9 foot table soon for our retirement home now under construction and naturally I thought I'd just find an older Big G and have a good mechanic set it up right. That is, until I started reading this forum!

I'm of course aware of the Gold Crowns, but I would have thought that the real slate on the Gandys would easily trump the Brunstone on the GCs. That doesn't seem to bother anyone though, so maybe I need to think again.

The .ain reason they were acceptable to play on was because the pocmet shelf was so shallow you couldn't miss pocketing a ball and have it still sitting in the jaws of the pockets....so pocketing balls made everyone's game look better. As far as construction goes, they were not even close to a GC.

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
Like everything else, the answers are all subjective. In my experience the Gandy Big G tables weren't horrible, they were a solid C- to C table...but the Gold Crowns are in the solid B+ to A- range...with the Diamond tables being A++ and in a class all by themselves.

Prior to Diamond, there was the Robertson Black Max. IMHO it smoked GCs all day long. This boom time Pool Hall on Bainbridge Ave in the Bronx had them, they were flipping amamzing. I've heard other people give them similar reviews. The Robertson Pool Table manufacturing (of Tampa, FL) factory burnt to the ground a bunch a years ago and the owners elected not to rebuild...I think they just do standard billiard supplies now. Anyways, if you get the chance to play on one, by all means do so. They're the only table that I've ever found that come anywhere close to a Diamond.

With all this being said, I'm of the belief and experience that the table mechanic that installs the table factors heavily into how the table performs, regardless of the brand. -Z-

DSC00172.jpg

mcd_broc_F.jpg

DSC00175.jpg

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Would this be somewhat offset by some of the GCs having the problem with end frame sag?

Gandy was out of business before the GC4 even came out, and the 4 could be fixed real easy, but there's no fix for the cheaper built Gandy.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Like everything else, the answers are all subjective. In my experience the Gandy Big G tables weren't horrible, they were a solid C- to C table...but the Gold Crowns are in the solid B+ to A- range...with the Diamond tables being A++ and in a class all by themselves.

Prior to Diamond, there was the Robertson Black Max. IMHO it smoked GCs all day long. This boom time Pool Hall on Bainbridge Ave in the Bronx had them, they were flipping amamzing. I've heard other people give them similar reviews. The Robertson Pool Table manufacturing (of Tampa, FL) factory burnt to the ground a bunch a years ago and the owners elected not to rebuild...I think they just do standard billiard supplies now. Anyways, if you get the chance to play on one, by all means do so. They're the only table that I've ever found that come anywhere close to a Diamond.

With all this being said, I'm of the belief and experience that the table mechanic that installs the table factors heavily into how the table performs, regardless of the brand. -Z-

DSC00172.jpg

mcd_broc_F.jpg

DSC00175.jpg

I have played on a few Robertson tables and I will agree they are solid and play well.
If looking for a decent table and a Robertson was available I'd buy without hesitation.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Well, Gandy Big Gs may not have been held in the high regard that Gold Crown and Diamond are, but they were good enough to play on in Bill (Weenie Beanie) Staton's Jack and Jill pool room in Arlington Virginia until 1980 when it closed. Some great action and tournaments there. You might recognize a few, including Mizerak, Margo, and the Dove Cue.

All the best,
WW

Attachments

• Jack & Jills.JPG
    Jack & Jills.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 4,390

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gandy was out of business before the GC4 even came out, and the 4 could be fixed real easy, but there's no fix for the cheaper built Gandy.

That certainly makes sense.

I was never aware of the Big G frame problems. To a completely untrained eye the frames seemed to look pretty stout, and I guess I was lucky enough to have never developed a problem with one.

I appreciate this information.

LIAKOS27

NOT banned (yet)
Silver Member
Boy I'll tell ya! Reading these threads makes me realize I must totally suck as a pool player. I just hit the balls and figure out how a table plays!

As long as all the rails play the same and the table rolls fairly straight, I'm shooting!

I've played gandys, GC's 1,2,3,4's, diamonds(I don't know which ones) valleys, and a bunch of others I can't think of! And I can't tell the difference for the most part!

That's why I must suck:(

Oh well,life goes on!

Eli

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
Boy I'll tell ya! Reading these threads makes me realize I must totally suck as a pool player. I just hit the balls and figure out how a table plays!
As long as all the rails play the same and the table rolls fairly straight, I'm shooting!
I've played gandys, GC's 1,2,3,4's, diamonds(I don't know which ones) valleys, and a bunch of others I can't think of! And I can't tell the difference for the most part!
That's why I must suck:( Oh well,life goes on! Eli

Eli, you make a good point (aIthough I don't know you, so I can neither agree or disagree with your self report that you suck). Playing on a table is one thing. From the tone of the article, I think people we're also speaking in reference to owning a table...in which case, the quality of a table is extremely relevant. -Z-

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Well, Gandy Big Gs may not have been held in the high regard that Gold Crown and Diamond are, but they were good enough to play on in Bill (Weenie Beanie) Staton's Jack and Jill pool room in Arlington Virginia until 1980 when it closed. Some great action and tournaments there. You might recognize a few, including Mizerak, Margo, and the Dove Cue.

All the best,
WW

And the people that got them for their pool rooms regretted not getting GC's if they could have afforded it .
A pool hall here ( Players ) had G's back in the 90's.
He had to dump them to get GC's so he could compete with Hard Times.
They really sucked if you like one-pocket. Balls just fall off the hole if they are near the jaw .:D
There were a ton of used Murrays and Big G's for sale here back then.
They were easily half the price of old GC2's.

LIAKOS27

NOT banned (yet)
Silver Member
Eli, you make a good point (aIthough I don't know you, so I can neither agree or disagree with your self report that you suck). Playing on a table is one thing. From the tone of the article, I think people we're also speaking in reference to owning a table...in which case, the quality of a table is extremely relevant. -Z-

I do suck! I once made 2 balls in a row twice in a 2 hr practice session a couple yrs ago!

I haven't been able to repeat that spectacular day of play since!

Although, I have made shots, many shots in my time:)

Eli

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
I do not regret my purchase of a GC 3 in the least. There was a 9' Big G available at the time I bought my table and while it was nice and in great shape, it didnt hold a candle to the Brunswick. I also play on Big Gs every Sunday in my league. If it were the only option I had I wouldnt hesitate to buy one, they are solid, but if I were you Id hold out for a GC or at worst a Medalist or Sport King above the Big G.

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And the people that got them for their pool rooms regretted not getting GC's if they could have afforded it .
A pool hall here ( Players ) had G's back in the 90's.
He had to dump them to get GC's so he could compete with Hard Times.
They really sucked if you like one-pocket. Balls just fall off the hole if they are near the jaw .:D
There were a ton of used Murrays and Big G's for sale here back then.
They were easily half the price of old GC2's.

I should have been more specific in saying "older" Big G. I would have been looking for one from substantially before the '90s when they sold out. I'm not sure when they first came out but I bought my first one in around '72 or '73 and it had been in a room for a good while before that. I recall it as having been a good table.

freds

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not all were so shallow?

My oversized 8 Big G has a pretty deep shelf. No idea of its vintage though:

Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 11.42.35 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 11.43.52 AM.jpg

middleofnowhere

Registered

I owned 22 of them and they were pretty bad.