One Of The Best Ever - Victim Of Covid-19

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Indiscriminate shitty virus takes an absolute legend. :(

Some of you I'm sure know his work, if you don't, I would strongly urge that you take the time to get to know him a little. Prolific singer/songwriter John Prine died last month from Covid-19. This guy is irreplaceable.

Apparently he liked hitting balls, too. :thumbup: This picture was reportedly from an Indiana room, maybe someone will recognize it.

Here's a few samples of his music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8tTwXv4glY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmgYCI3OWw4&list=PLmwenebgo4Pt7k5JTWT4-Q2aIf_uGkC6B

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Rkm_dqm7A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XLaIFTmJF8&list=PL-ABBXKgi-9bAJjlY_QhHSZwfwo_eflIL&index=2

RIP John Prine.

best,
brian kc

Attachments

• John-Prine-snooker.jpg
    John-Prine-snooker.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 1,662

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Stay safe and sheltered.

Well said, Hank. Challenging times are these and encouraging each other to do everything possible to steer clear of the virus is, indeed, part of the solution.

I am not familiar with this musician, but mourn the loss of anybody to the virus that has shaken all of our lives.

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He has performed in CoMO.

I suspect decades of substance abuse were a factor.

poolandpokerman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw that a while ago, I loved John Prine's music, I was raised real close to Central City Ky, that is where the song Paradise came from, Mr. Peabody's coal train took it away. His song Sam Stone,is one of the saddest songs I have ever heard.
Tom

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am a fan of a lot of different styles of music. John Prine was one of my absolute favorites. For most music, I listen for the melody and hope the artist doesn’t ruin it with amateurish lyrics. More than any other songwriter, for John, my attention is drawn to the lyrics first and then to his melodies, which fortunately are always also great. I was fortunate to see him perform live once around the time of the In Spite Of Ourselves album. The audience was pretty much my age and older. It was basically a sing-along concert. Everybody knew the words to all the songs.

The third link you posted is outstanding. The folks who were crammed into that small setting were pretty damn lucky. Last night, YouTube broadcast a tribute show to John and his music. It is worth your time if you missed it. https://youtu.be/jv05dPfmx40

Great thread. Thanks.

Scrunge19

Registered
Moving to Seattle Hank to be with your people?

Going out today, like every day. No afraid of Big Bad Wolf, it a Hoax to remove our POPTUS.

Why must you bring politics into every discussion on here? This post, like many of yours, adds absolutely nothing to the current discussion and only seeks to turn it into a place to peddle your political nonsense and conspiracy theories. That's assuming any intelligent person can even decipher what dribble you've posted. 99% of your posts are rife with enough spelling, capitalization, and grammatical errors that they almost appear to have been funneled through an enigma machine.

So before you grace us with your next 30,000 posts, ask yourself two questions. 1. Does what I just typed contribute to the conversation the thread was made over? 2. Have I proofread my post for proper spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc so that people will understand I put thought into my comments as opposed to just spewing the first thought that popped into my head.

In summary, if you don't have anything to say that is on topic nor can you be bothered to take the time to make sure your post makes sense, do us all a favor and skip posting.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I used to go see Prine in the 70s at the Earl of Old Town here in the Chicago. He'd often share the stage with other up-and-comers like Steve Goodman, Bonnie Raitt, Linda Ronstadt, etc. He was my favorite.

Good times (what I remember of them).

pj
chgo

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why must you bring politics into every discussion on here? This post, like many of yours, adds absolutely nothing to the current discussion and only seeks to turn it into a place to peddle your political nonsense and conspiracy theories. That's assuming any intelligent person can even decipher what dribble you've posted. 99% of your posts are rife with enough spelling, capitalization, and grammatical errors that they almost appear to have been funneled through an enigma machine.

So before you grace us with your next 30,000 posts, ask yourself two questions. 1. Does what I just typed contribute to the conversation the thread was made over? 2. Have I proofread my post for proper spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc so that people will understand I put thought into my comments as opposed to just spewing the first thought that popped into my head.

In summary, if you don't have anything to say that is on topic nor can you be bothered to take the time to make sure your post makes sense, do us all a favor and skip posting.
franklin-s-nelson-haha-1.jpg

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Add to that, 73 years old, immunocompromised, cancer survivor. But hey, the Rona got him...

Great singer though!

Right - and the decades of substance was likely the root of all of that. 100 year old people have beaten the Rona.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Darn...

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Scrunge19 again."

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does it really matter what may have contributed to John Prine's death? It doesn't to me.

In the end, Covid-19 delivered the knockout punch.

I like that just like us, he enjoyed shooting pool.

He was an American original and a legend who will be greatly missed.

People should study the lyrics on the link Poolbum posted just above. Could be a learning moment...

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
https://youtu.be/TxKgj7w3tBU

I liked this song by David Akan Coe...didn’t know Mr Prine had something to do with it.

What I’ve liked about John Prine, Bob Dylan, Lyle Lovett, and a bunch more, is the WAY they sing.
They don’t play little tricks with their voices to imply they could’ve been an opera singer or something...
...they got something to tell you, and they deliver it.

Comments on another channel about John.....
..”Some people should get a pass from dying.”

Last edited: