Is player A a nit if...

fan-tum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
he wins 3 sets, $20 a set. Player B wants to play one more set for $80, but A will only play for $60. B calls A a nit.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
he wins 3 sets, $20 a set. Player B wants to play one more set for $80, but A will only play for $60. B calls A a nit.

No.

Why should the winner have to submit to the whims of the loser?

If the sets were close, the law of averages will eventually kick in and the odds will favor the player who hasn't won a set yet.

If the matches were not close, then the winner may want to go ahead and take his other $80.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No

If a player wins three sets in a row and is up $60 why play the last one for $80. Player A has spent all this time getting ahead why throw it away and come out loser after you have worked this hard to get ahead. Even at $60 on the last set he might just break even and lose money on the table time but that’s the same as just practicing. Even though it’s not a lot of money if I’m ahead I’m not going to throw it all at one set when it took me three to get it.

mnb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if he can't afford to risk losing 20 for a chance of winning 140, maybe he shouldn't be gambling to begin with

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
if he can't afford to risk losing 20 for a chance of winning 140, maybe he shouldn't be gambling to begin with

Nope..he's already up $60...he's now risking $80 to win $80.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
it has no bearing whether you are up or down if a proposed bet is a positive one for you you should take it. unless you can steer him into a better one for yourself. that is smart gambling to give yourself the highest expected win rate.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Your math is strange to me? If I have $60 winnings IN MY POCKET, and I gamble someone for $80- I risk losing all $80 for an additional $80 IN MY POCKET- so my gamble is now $80 for $80 not $20 for $140! Somehow you consider money won as NOT real money in your pocket? No wonder some gamblers are always broke!

You owe the guy nothing- but to offer someone an opportunity to win back money lost in 3 matches all in one match is a very fair offer. Any confident person would accept that offer if they wanted to get back to even- at their own risk of losing an additional $60.

Now we get into someone in a pool room making personal remarks to another person's face, see, all of this kind of stuff is why we are sitting here online instead of playing in big beautiful 40 table rooms spread out across the entire USA. Most people have no tolerance for so many of the idiots who inhabit the world of pool.

canwin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it has no bearing whether you are up or down if a proposed bet is a positive one for you you should take it. unless you can steer him into a better one for yourself. that is smart gambling to give yourself the highest expected win rate.

So the guy who is up 60 wants to bet 60 and not 80..why? Is he scared to gamble 20 if he loses which is what each set was worth in the first place? Who's the gambler and who's the nit?

canwin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your math is strange to me? If I have $60 winnings IN MY POCKET, and I gamble someone for $80- I risk losing all $80 for an additional $80 IN MY POCKET- so my gamble is now $80 for $80 not $20 for $140! Somehow you consider money won as NOT real money in your pocket? No wonder some gamblers are always broke!

You owe the guy nothing- but to offer someone an opportunity to win back money lost in 3 matches all in one match is a very fair offer. Any confident person would accept that offer if they wanted to get back to even- at their own risk of losing an additional $60.

Now we get into someone in a pool room making personal remarks to another person's face, see, all of this kind of stuff is why we are sitting here online instead of playing in big beautiful 40 table rooms spread out across the entire USA. Most people have no tolerance for so many of the idiots who inhabit the world of pool.

Spoken like a true nit!

Nullus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Play better pool, or don't gamble at all if you can't afford to lose it. Calling player A a nit because they were better than you and took your money and are going to walk with it (without a predetermined arrangement of who can call it quits and when), is just sad. If, on the other hand, player B thought they were hustling player A just to eventually win $20, then they're a bad hustler, because player B should have just won the first twenty and been done with it.

This is all just crybaby stuff. If you're going to gamble, then be prepared to lose when you're down and your opponent walks with your money.

As for whomever commented above about $20 not being considered gambling, not everyone is loaded with a bankroll to play for big money. Some folks have a life outside of pool with families, bills, and regular jobs, but still like to gamble for small stakes. $20 can be a legitimate bet for those folks. Don't judge folks. They're still enjoying the industry we all love and supporting it by playing on the level they can afford to play on.

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
If I'm up $60 bucks and don't like the game, I leave, go get a beer, a burger, and tip my waitress. Call me whatever you want. My belly's full and it didn't "cost" me anything.
I'll be a "nit" for that.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Spoken like a true nit!
What's the time limit on nitness? If he kept his winnings and they met again next day, a week later, a year later, would he still be a nit if he didn't play for $80?

How long before the money he won becomes his money?

pj
chgo

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is called 'enterprise betting'.

El oh El.