Billiards in Vietnam?
Old
  (#1)
DynoDan
AzB Silver Member
DynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Billiards in Vietnam? - 06-25-2020, 07:59 PM

While the totalitarian/communist gov. there has embraced some capitalistic enterprises, I assume they likely still wouldn’t encourage anything associated with previous (French) imperialist cultural activities?
My only ever serious strait-rail competition was with a native teenager on a (tented) outdoor table in Nhatrang ca.1966 (I lost). I was a fair pool player for my age, and even though my hometown room had a carom table, we only played 3-cushion. Just wondering? Can anyone illucidate?

Old
  (#2)
CocoboloCowboy
Cowboys are my heros.
CocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1538

06-25-2020, 08:25 PM

We have serveral member here for the New Unified Vietnam.

“Pool is geometry, in its most challenging form, the science of precise angles, and forces" - Quote from: A Game of Pool, The Twilight Zone 1961 Television Show.

Old
  (#3)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-25-2020, 08:30 PM

The Vietnamese players have been one of the major developments in 3C in the past decade. Here are the current world rankings for 3C from the UMB website. Five in the top 30 including number 7.

The US has no one in the top 100.

Name:  CropperCapture[553].png
Views: 107
Size:  115.2 KB

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#4)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline
Texas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond repute

06-25-2020, 08:40 PM

I think trying to get straight rail out of Vietnam would be like trying to eradicate the invasive Burmese python from Florida

Thing Kent last yr opened a new club and had 2 Europeans come in for exhibitions

The swiss and eruo champ Xavier gretillat
And the young Dutch champ up and comer Sam can etten

To add to this ho chi Minh City holds a 3cushion world cup week long event yearly

So probably not trying to discourage too much

3 cushion has killed carom
Royal Pro
the revolution in billiard cloth
-"look how hard this easy game is!"

Last edited by Texas Carom Club; 06-25-2020 at 08:47 PM.

Old
  (#5)
DynoDan
AzB Silver Member
DynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond repute

06-25-2020, 08:52 PM

Just curious, but I thought pre-20’s era American competition had made traditional straight-rail passé? Do the foreigners play ‘Balkline’now? (pardon my ignorance).

Old
  (#6)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline
Texas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond repute

06-25-2020, 09:03 PM

for the elite players, its too easy, but not so much for the rest of us, try to see how many you can run and youll see how easy it is, said hoppe
then see if you can get that position from the break, by bringing all the balls to the position, its VERY hard, as hoppe will tell you in his book, or the first time you try the game, its very apparent how hard it really is
most in vietnam play straight rail, balkline and 1 cushion are catching on with kents play and him bringing the pros to help grow those games
and of course many play 3c

Royal Pro

Old
  (#7)
DynoDan
AzB Silver Member

06-25-2020, 09:32 PM

Tell me about it! As I said, I was a fairly decent pool player, but that Vietnamese kid trounced me. He knew how to trap those (ivory?) balls in a corner. I suppose the humid playing conditions made it easier to keep them there.
He told me (broken English) his main ambition in life was to get to America. I hope he made it.

Old
  (#8)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline

06-25-2020, 09:40 PM

the viets dont really play with the corner zones marked off where you have to walk the balls up the lines like the europeans do to make it a bit harder

here is caudron showing and talking about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-sJiAjnUaE

aka freegame in europe

Royal Pro

Old
  (#9)
SpiderWeb
iisgone@yahoo.com
SpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-25-2020, 10:35 PM

They play 3-C there at a world class level.

Old
  (#10)
DynoDan
AzB Silver Member

06-26-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Carom Club View Post
the viets dont really play with the corner zones marked off where you have to walk the balls up the lines like the europeans do to make it a bit harder

here is caudron showing and talking about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-sJiAjnUaE

aka freegame in europe
WOW! I had never before seen a top pro straight-rail player work. What a touch he has. A talent that would certainly come in handy when taking an intentional foul in 14.1 while minimizing the change in ball positions. He is obviously performing a legal stroke on each shot, and yet the balls barely move at times.

Old
  (#11)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline

06-26-2020, 01:32 PM

Holding the cue at the balance gives you the greatest control over the speed, as well can cueing below center can help to further deaden the balls as I read in hopped book and tried myself.

But caudron actually kicks them both infront the perfect amount each time, what I find most entertaining is seeing him walk them along the corner line

Royal Pro

Old
  (#12)
Dean_H
luv the small modalities
Dean_H has a reputation beyond reputeDean_H has a reputation beyond reputeDean_H has a reputation beyond reputeDean_H has a reputation beyond reputeDean_H has a reputation beyond reputeDean_H has a reputation beyond reputeDean_H has a reputation beyond reputeDean_H has a reputation beyond reputeDean_H has a reputation beyond reputeDean_H has a reputation beyond reputeDean_H has a reputation beyond repute

06-26-2020, 07:06 PM

They still like french bread as thier sandwhiches are pretty tasty.

Old
  (#13)
maldito
AzB Silver Member
maldito has a reputation beyond reputemaldito has a reputation beyond reputemaldito has a reputation beyond reputemaldito has a reputation beyond reputemaldito has a reputation beyond reputemaldito has a reputation beyond reputemaldito has a reputation beyond reputemaldito has a reputation beyond reputemaldito has a reputation beyond reputemaldito has a reputation beyond reputemaldito has a reputation beyond repute

06-26-2020, 07:08 PM

I would say the equipment today is much faster than that was used yrs ago and that of course contributes to greater runs .

The toughest shot on the table is the one you just missed......Myron Zownir

I've been watching guys tilt the rack before you were born ... Earl Strickland

Even If Donald Trump wins all of the toss up States He can't win ...... Rachel Madow

Kamala Harris …………. would you ??

Old
  (#14)
DynoDan
AzB Silver Member

06-27-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_H View Post
They still like french bread as thier sandwhiches are pretty tasty.
I had never tried French bread before I got to Vietnam. I hated it (grew up eating soft Wonderbread).

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: