How to get marks out of balls

burger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a homemade polisher that polishes great, the problem is it doesn’t seem to get the black marks off that I am assuming are coming from the pockets. Any suggestions on how to get them out ??
575baf89c7b37458f207162830a107f5.jpg

4ff556984a48e8f2c45eb10926df967b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a homemade polisher that polishes great, the problem is it doesn’t seem to get the black marks off that I am assuming are coming from the pockets. Any suggestions on how to get them out ??

Try hand sanitizer.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You need to buy some Aramith Ball Cleaner.

Squirt a little on a rag (I use a micro-fiber cloth) and individually rub down each ball before putting it in the polisher. It doesn't take much rubbing or time.

Lou Figueroa

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
624a64024c4132158c65e9e33c7f8053.jpg

The BEST answer: ARAMITH Billiard Ball Cleaner. And it can be at your door within days.

If you really don’t care one way or another how your prized Centennials look or play, then go for the other replies.

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Squirt a little on a rag (I use a micro-fiber cloth) and individually rub down each ball before putting it in the polisher. It doesn't take much rubbing or time.

Lou Figueroa

Best answer here.

However, I miss the good ole days when RKC would pounce in here and tell everyone how he designed the Diamond machine to work best with automotive car wax.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

Almost what I'd suggest...but I say put the ball in a plastic sandwich bag, then a drop of aramith polisher on the ball and lightly rub the mark.

Quick wipedown with soft cloth, then stick it in the machine.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All the abovementioned cleaning suggestions work well. I'd add that an often overlooked contributory cause of black marks on the balls is the table Spots, when in normal play the CBs and OBs forcefully skid over many brands of table Spots.

Arnaldo

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Automobile bug and tar remover will do it easily

Agree. All of 5 seconds to remove it.

Added hint. I toss a couple of paper paper towels in the pockets. Keeps balls and tables a bit cleaner...also I sweep the table with a brush towards the pockets. I then just take out the paper towells and replace with clean ones.

An added bonus. The towels muffle the sound if playing at home.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try Bar Keepers Friend

Try Bar Keepers Friend and a new sponge ........it’s in the section where household cleaning
products like Comet is located. When using it, dampen the ball first and apply the Bar Keepers
Friend directly on the ball. Using a damp sponge, start rubbing the marks away. It’s almost like
you’re compounding a car’s exterior paint. Be sure to have a good polish, like Aramith, to use
afterward as cleaning the marks may likely dull the finish where the marks were or the entire ball.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All the abovementioned cleaning suggestions work well. I'd add that an often overlooked contributory cause of black marks on the balls is the table Spots, when in normal play the CBs and OBs forcefully skid over many brands of table Spots.

Arnaldo
I know for a fact that this was exactly what was causing spots particularly on our 1-balls when using the Simonis spots that come with Simonis cloth. Master spots not nearly as bad. Even though I’ve had a long time account with them, when I called and stated this to them, they claimed it was the first they’d ever heard this complaint.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I know for a fact that this was exactly what was causing spots particularly on our 1-balls when using the Simonis spots that come with Simonis cloth. Master spots not nearly as bad. Even though I’ve had a long time account with them, when I called and stated this to them, they claimed it was the first they’d ever heard this complaint.

First time they heard it from you! :D

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Try tooth paste. It will remove permanent magic marker

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member

Rub with liquid car polish and a rag.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So many bad replies.:(

Use Aramith ball polish. Wash the balls in clean water and dry them after you use the polish.

Do not use wax.

Fix your table.

Automotive products can increase throw by a factor of two. If you don't care about that, go ahead with some rubbing compound while you're at it.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
(Not exactly about the pocket spots of the OP....)

Sometimes after a miscue there is a nasty spot on the cue ball that doesn't wipe off. In case you don't carry Aramith polish, here is an emergency method to get rid of marks like that.

Get a worn piece of chalk. Chalk your thumb. Rub your thumb firmly on the spot. Wipe off any chalk residue.

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't have this issue, but been experimenting the last couple weeks with cleaning my balls. lol
I've been using Wolfgang Uber Rinseless Wash as a quick detailer for automotive detailing. If it's safe for paint and won't strip wax because it's PH neutral, it can't hurt the balls. Placed balls in bucket, a light spray and they come out looking really clean. I have some HD Poxy I'm going to try on them next after cleaning them. HD Poxy has Montana wax in it and it has a high melting point. I have 2 bottles of the Aramith ball cleaner, but just been trying out different things.

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So many bad replies.:(

Use Aramith ball polish. Wash the balls in clean water and dry them after you use the polish.

Do not use wax.

Fix your table.

Automotive products can increase throw by a factor of two. If you don't care about that, go ahead with some rubbing compound while you're at it.

I just read this. Why not use wax? I'm having a feeling mine was also a bad reply. LOL