55 inch pool cue & Bob Jewett question

Leigh

Registered
Hello pool friends, I posted a video a couple of months ago asking for help with my stroke fundamentals (its title was "stroke follow through for smaller players"). I had a lot of great responses - thanks, Pool Community! After incorporating some of the suggestions I received, when my arm is perfectly perpendicular, even with my slightly longer than average bridge length, my arm is HIGH on the cue... almost a foot of useless cue behind my hand...so the balance is too far back when I am positioned correctly. Bob Jewett made the suggestion that my pool cue may be too long. Does anyone know where I can buy or try an inexpensive shorter (55inches or so) pool cue? I found a 52 inch. While the balance point is MUCH better for me, I would like a couple more inches (insert stupid joke here.)
Allison Fisher's pool cues (made by OB, I think) can be custom made to specific lengths, but I do not want to make an investment unless I know what length I like.

Side note: after posting my previous video, one of the members of the forum, Scott Lee, got in touch with me and gave me an hour lesson over the phone... I am so grateful to the generosity of this community. His lesson and everyone's posts really helped.
Thanks,
Leigh

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Does anyone know where I can buy or try an inexpensive shorter (55inches or so) pool cue?...
If you can find a local cue maker, he should be able to either make a new shaft that is shorter or cut down a shaft that is longer than you need -- remove a couple of inches and put on an inexpensive ferrule and maybe remove another inch or two....

There is no point in doing that with an expensive cue. I recommend getting the McDermott beginner's kit cue which is $70 plus shipping or $140 for two including shipping. I have tried two of them and they hit the ball better than the much more expensive cues that were available in the store where I tried them. http://www.mcdermottcue.com/kit5.php

Leigh

Registered
Muchas gracias! I never thought about having one cut down. Thank you for the advice.
Leigh

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For stroke problems Scott is excellent. Pat Flemming plays with a short cue.
If the extra cue is not hindering your stroke, why deal with it. There will be many shots where you need an extension.
If you are going to have someone cut some butt off I suggest keeping the cut off piece. Have joint added to the piece and on the end of the butt. Quick release. Now you have an extension.

Leigh

Registered
The extra length isn’t the problem, it’s the balance. When my right hand is in the proper perpendicular angle, I am very close to the balance point. With an open bridge it almost feels like the tip wants to come up.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The extra length isn’t the problem, it’s the balance. When my right hand is in the proper perpendicular angle, I am very close to the balance point. With an open bridge it almost feels like the tip wants to come up.
Then you really need to have the shaft shortened.

I'm a strong believer in the principle that the cue length should more or less match the size of the player. I have seen some beginners about your height fitted out by their "friends" with extra-long cues so they would be able to reach more shots. I think that's exactly the wrong way to go as your experience indicates. I suppose it would be possible to use balsa wood for the last 10 inches but no body seems to do that. Make the mechanical bridge your friend.:wink:

Leigh

Registered
Thank you, Bob!
I am still stunned that there are people like you with such amazing pool experience take the time to write a newbie... thank you!
I just posted this on another forum: I am on cloud nine. I am having a lesson with Jerry Briesath tomorrow and I can't wait!!

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Leigh

Registered
I read those forums and I totally agree! Balance point doesn’t matter at all if you’re tall. But if you’re 5 feet and one inch tall it matters! I realize that this is why I play with such a long bridge because it puts me further back on the cue which makes it feel weighted properly for me. When I do an average 10 inch bridge length my hand barely touches the leather! Thank you for sending the link. I’m going to have one of my shafts cut down 3 inches and I will reach out to you and let you know how it goes. FYI Allyson Fisher plays with a 56 inch cue.
Now let’s have a moment of appreciation for the great Allison Fisher…

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I read those forums and I totally agree! Balance point doesn’t matter at all if you’re tall. But if you’re 5 feet and one inch tall it matters! I realize that this is why I play with such a long bridge because it puts me further back on the cue which makes it feel weighted properly for me. When I do an average 10 inch bridge length my hand barely touches the leather! Thank you for sending the link. I’m going to have one of my shafts cut down 3 inches and I will reach out to you and let you know how it goes. FYI Allyson Fisher plays with a 56 inch cue.
Now let’s have a moment of appreciation for the great Allison Fisher…
Has anybody yet mentioned the possibility of moving the balance point of your existing cue forward - by either removing/reducing the rear weight bolt and/or adding weight at the joint?

pj
chgo