cue join type

joseph595-tca

I have this older cue. Seems like a high end one with cool inlays
it needs a new shaft but I can't identify the type of joint this is
it looks like the oposite of how all the cues are made. The male is in the shaft and the female in the butt. Any ideas

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpeg
    thumbnail.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 489
  • thumbnail (1).jpeg
    thumbnail (1).jpeg
    119.8 KB · Views: 495
  • thumbnail (2).jpeg
    thumbnail (2).jpeg
    145.1 KB · Views: 497

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The first clue about a low end cue is the use of Ramin wood, which your cue is. The joint is a strange import style, probably from the 1970’s. I would not spend any money on having a new shaft made. It is not worth it. I believe your “inlays” are actually paint or stickers.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have this older cue. Seems like a high end one with cool inlays
it needs a new shaft but I can't identify the type of joint this is
it looks like the oposite of how all the cues are made. The male is in the shaft and the female in the butt. Any ideas
$20 Taiwan special. Makes better tomato stakes.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
This is just a guess on my part but Im thinking this thread was supposed to land in the "ask a cue maker" section and not the mechanic section????:):):confused::confused:

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've played with a schmelke with that joint before. Boy is it different. I'd say that's one joint where you know for sure something is different in the cue

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very popular for Schmelke. I read they offer 6 different joint screws but I've seen the 1/2x24 the most where I'm located.

I ordered my Schmelke with a 3/8x10 joint.
I figured if I wanted an aftermarket shaft pretty much everybody makes a 3/8x10.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ordered my Schmelke with a 3/8x10 joint.
I figured if I wanted an aftermarket shaft pretty much everybody makes a 3/8x10.

Great choice. If you decide to go with an after market shaft, you might want to ask Schmelke if an .840 joint is an option.