Does anyone have any dvd's of Willie Mosconi

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

I was hoping someone may have some Dvd's of Willie Mosocni , I really enjoyed watching the match between him and fats on the special and would like to find a copy of dvd if possible, I was hoping someone may have transferred it from vhs to dvd or have a dvd version of it, also any other Mosconi match's. I really enjoy watching him play. Thanks

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

I was hoping someone may have some Dvd's of Willie Mosocni , I really enjoyed watching the match between him and fats on the special and would like to find a copy of dvd if possible, I was hoping someone may have transferred it from vhs to dvd or have a dvd version of it, also any other matches. I really enjoy watching him play. Thanks
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not DVDs, but you may enjoy these somewhat rare selections with Willie on Youtube:

Mosconi/Caras 40 minutes of Straight Pool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JCdJ08_M3Y

Elderly Mosconi/Caras decades later (part 1):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv9E2ijKGNE

Elderly Mosconi/Caras decades later (part 2):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIE5AOayYvI

Arnaldo

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recall watching his matches with Babe Cranfield, Fats and Jimmy Moore from 1982 ESPN Legends of Pocket Billiards. I think he beat Jimmy in the finals. I don’t think I still have the tapes but would love to see these matches again if anyone had them converted to DVD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recall watching his matches with Babe Cranfield, Fats and Jimmy Moore from 1982 ESPN Legends of Pocket Billiards. I think he beat Jimmy in the finals. I don’t think I still have the tapes but would love to see these matches again if anyone had them converted to DVD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen them on u tube.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
pre stroke Mosconi

Most of the video is from after Willie had a stroke or only a minute or two. There was a match on TV of a young Mosconi playing somebody tall and thin compared to Mosconi, could have been a small handful of players. I saw this one time in about 1972, I assume filler on Wide World of Sports but I'm not sure. It was old video then, I think from early or mid-sixties.

Willie was on his game and he was playing sensationally. Nothing fancy, just running balls like water and the cue ball was following his every whim. Some of the best pool I have ever seen. Absolutely boring for the average viewer, Willie didn't pocket a ball a bar room banger couldn't. The trick was this was the only kind of shot he ever had to take. When Willie was rolling I would bet on over 80% of his shots being sixteen inches to thirty inches. You just don't miss much at that distance!

Hu

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most of the video is from after Willie had a stroke or only a minute or two. There was a match on TV of a young Mosconi playing somebody tall and thin compared to Mosconi, could have been a small handful of players. I saw this one time in about 1972, I assume filler on Wide World of Sports but I'm not sure. It was old video then, I think from early or mid-sixties.

Willie was on his game and he was playing sensationally. Nothing fancy, just running balls like water and the cue ball was following his every whim. Some of the best pool I have ever seen. Absolutely boring for the average viewer, Willie didn't pocket a ball a bar room banger couldn't. The trick was this was the only kind of shot he ever had to take. When Willie was rolling I would bet on over 80% of his shots being sixteen inches to thirty inches. You just don't miss much at that distance!

Hu

If only we could find that time machine!! …… Ooops, wait a minute.. I'm kind of scared of the 'terminator'.:eek:

I'd love to see THAT video. Too bad so much went unrecorded from the early days
of video.

td

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
changed my idea of what was possible

If only we could find that time machine!! …… Ooops, wait a minute.. I'm kind of scared of the 'terminator'.:eek:

I'd love to see THAT video. Too bad so much went unrecorded from the early days
of video.

td

Saw it once, never again. However, while Willie dominated the match and the air time it might have been fifteen or twenty minutes time of him shooting. Before watching that I was playing area shape, wide sloppy area shape. Willie showed me spot shape was possible. I put in about five thousand hours on spot shape before I felt like I had mastered it for the vast majority of the time. After that, particularly bar tables were just painting pictures.

There was about twenty years between the time I saw that video and when I saw video of Efren. Nobody in between changed my idea of what was possible on a pool table. Efren was and is a master of a different style of play. I just watched in amazement, heard announcers miscalling what he had tried to do even after the shot! I didn't have the time or the drive to put in another five thousand hours. Besides, I don't think Efren ever played better than Willie, or vice-versa for that matter, two different ways of achieving the same goals.

Hu

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've said it on here before... the shot that inspired my game... not so overly impressive
if you follow 3c, but opened my mind to what is possible... sending CB 5 rails to a spot
the size of a quarter on a bar box. Blew my mind that someone could do that!

Now with all the footage available to view, I can only imagine what all the younger
or newer players can aspire to. It's hard to learn in a vacuum, but seeing the magic
just once can open up a world.

td

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Thanks Arnoldo

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not DVDs, but you may enjoy these somewhat rare selections with Willie on Youtube:

Mosconi/Caras 40 minutes of Straight Pool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JCdJ08_M3Y

Elderly Mosconi/Caras decades later (part 1):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv9E2ijKGNE

Elderly Mosconi/Caras decades later (part 2):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIE5AOayYvI

Arnaldo

I had never seen the top video before. Would have been weird to have that ref waving his hand over the shot. Thanks again for posting this.