Bank Finals Update

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It was quite an amazing, or perhaps strange is a better word, finals.

John was undefeated entering the finals, and Shane had one loss; so Shane would have to beat John twice.

Shane won the first set 3-2, with both players playing well. The shooter made more than one bank in a row 10 times in the set.

So, on to set 2.

- Game 1. With Shane ahead 2-0, John ran 5 in a row for the win.

- Game 2. With Shane ahead 4-3 and shooting a spot shot from near a far corner pocket, he made the shot 2 rails. Many people thought it was the game-winning shot, and Shane even picked up the cue ball. But then he disclosed that he had called 4 rails, not 2. So the game was awarded to John since Shane picked up the CB (unsportsmanlike conduct).

- Game 3. A "normal" game, with Shane winning 5-2.

- Game 4. Shane took a 4-2 lead and then managed to foul 3 times and hang the winning shot who knows how many times. John was at a disadvantage forever, yet still made the final 2 banks for the win when Shane was forced to open up 3 spotted balls.

The play in set 2 was quite ragged, and it took 2 hours for the 4 games. The shooter made more than 1 bank in a row only 5 times.

mnShooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wanted to see a replay of the end of game 2. It was so surreal. It looked like Shane tried to shoot the ball straight in the corner and then it went in 2 rails and then all of a sudden the rack was over. I'm not sure how the balls got on the table so fast for the next rack. They were putting the balls in a ball rack behind each player's chair. I'm not sure what happened.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Why on earth would Shane be calling a 4 rail bank on essentially a spot shot and then pick up the cue ball like that?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Why on earth would Shane be calling a 4 rail bank on essentially a spot shot and then pick up the cue ball like that?

Because John, right after Shane picked up the 7 ball out of the corner pocket...to spot the ball, John came up to the table with the balls he'd scored with and placed them on the table...in the confusion, Shane thought he'd won because of that...so he then picked up the cue ball as Ken came to the table with the rest of the balls...only to discover that...he'd been forfeited because he'd picked up the cue ball, but only AFTER John had brought his 4 balls to the table and placed them on the table......hmmmm;)

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The DCC website posts results of all the matches. Here's John Morra's path to the 9-Ball Bank title, by round of play:

1. Les Howard
2. Brian Wilson
3. Clyde Netzley IV
4. Larry Miller
5. Shawn Collins
6. Josh Smith
7. Christopher Lawson
8. Joshua Oneal
9. Louis Ulrich
10. Charles Bryant
11. John Brumback
12. bye
13. Shane Van Boening (lost)
14. Shane Van Boening

Congrats, John Morra!

TorranceChris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That would have been a bit too much of a shock to my system to have SVB win the Banks ?!!! Winning one-pocket last year then this ? Has he even won the 9-ball division before ?! I see he came in 2nd last year to Orcullo. :cool:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That would have been a bit too much of a shock to my system to have SVB win the Banks ?!!! Winning one-pocket last year then this ? Has he even won the 9-ball division before ?! I see he came in 2nd last year to Orcullo. :cool:

Shane won the 9-ball in 2009.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
The DCC website posts results of all the matches. Here's John Morra's path to the 9-Ball Bank title, by round of play:

1. Les Howard
2. Brian Wilson
3. Clyde Netzley IV
4. Larry Miller
5. Shawn Collins
6. Josh Smith
7. Christopher Lawson
8. Joshua Oneal
9. Louis Ulrich
10. Charles Bryant
11. John Brumback
12. bye
13. Shane Van Boening (lost)
14. Shane Van Boening

Congrats, John Morra!

So Morra got a bye in the hot seat match? Isn't that a little unusual to have a bye so deep in the event?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I sat ringside for this one and let me confirm what I saw and give you my interpretation of what happened.

First of all, I heard Shane call four rails shooting from the kitchen at a ball that was on or near the spot during the second set with Morra leading 1-0. When Shane made that ball two rails, he raked the cue ball as if he'd won the rack. Morra then, quite correctly, commented that the call had been four rails and not two. Referee Ken Schuman asked Shane whether he had called the shot four rails and Shane said yes. As the balls had been raked by Shane, the rack was correctly awarded to Morra. Ken showed a firm grasp of the rules that applied to the situation and Shane, knowing he had erred, did not complain and, in my opinion, exhibited a high level of professionalism in moving on to the next rack. Shane continued to fight hard and pulled to within 2-1 quickly. He then led 4 balls to 3 in the next rack when a long bank on the four ball appeared to roll off on him, denying him a double hill score. Subsequently, a couple of scratches by Shane played Morra back into the rack, and Morra made a couple of phenomenal shots to get out of the rack and win the title.

Morra showed a very high gear in the banks event from beginning to end and was a worthy champion.

Shane's runnerup finish, I suspect, will put him in prime position to defend his all-around title here at the Derby, so his fine effort may well go to good use.

It was John Morra's day, and all I can say is well played, John!

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So Morra got a bye in the hot seat match? Isn't that a little unusual to have a bye so deep in the event?

They re-draw for every round of play. So in any round where an odd number of players are left, someone gets a bye.

This event came down to 3 players -- Van Boening, Shuff, and Morra. John got lucky in drawing the bye.

If I'm not mistaken, someone a few years ago drew byes twice in the late rounds.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
They re-draw for every round of play. So in any round where an odd number of players are left, someone gets a bye.

This event came down to 3 players -- Van Boening, Shuff, and Morra. John got lucky in drawing the bye.

If I'm not mistaken, someone a few years ago drew byes twice in the late rounds.

Thanks, I knew about the redraws but just didn't realize there might still be byes so deep.

====

I'd like to see a diagram of the layout when Shane called that 4 rail bank.