Which Wax To Use on Shafts???

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RenaissanceWax is pretty darn good stuff. 15bux for a 65gram can on Amazon. Will last you a Lonnnnnnng time.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
RenaissanceWax is pretty darn good stuff. 15bux for a 65gram can on Amazon. Will last you a Lonnnnnnng time.

if you ask this question in the ask the cuemaker section renaissance wax
gets high praises

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
if you ask this question in the ask the cuemaker section renaissance wax
gets high praises

I saw a comment by Garczar @ 6 months ago, ordered it from Amazon, have used it at least 10 times or more since, on at least 5 or 6 shafts and it works like a charm. There is no color residue or residue of any kind. I put a tiny bit of water on one of the shafts and it just beads and rolls off. Great stuff.

CAN-editted.jpg

ChopStick

Unsane Poster
Silver Member
Renaissance is pretty good but it sure has a strong smell.

Molinari is my favorite. I tried them all. They also make the best gloves.

cue-wax.png

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I saw a comment by Garczar @ 6 months ago, ordered it from Amazon, have used it at least 10 times or more since, on at least 5 or 6 shafts and it works like a charm. There is no color residue or residue of any kind. I put a tiny bit of water on one of the shafts and it just beads and rolls off. Great stuff.

View attachment 515679

i have given renaissance wax to cue mechanics when getting a new tip and clean ,seal ,wax a shaft who dont have it/use it
2 for 2 have converted to using it

ChopStick

Unsane Poster
Silver Member
you can smell it on your shaft when playing????:confused::confused:

Yes it's pretty strong. It goes away after a while. I didn't use it for that long before I discovered the Molinari which I have been using ever since.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A couple of years ago I posted a thread about Craftsman Cue Wax from Binghamton, England.
Absolutely the best cue wax but hard to acquire in the USA. As a substitute, Renaissance Wax
is almost just as good and I strongly endorse using either cue wax product. I’m currently using
Renaissance for the past year and it does a terrific job.

Lynch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably a dumb question, but I'm going to ask anyways. With the Renaissance Wax for instance (or any of them), are you using it on the shaft with a lathe or just applying it on the shaft in general without a lathe? I ask because I don't have a lathe, but would love to put something on my shafts to help keep them slick. Whenever I get a new tip put on for instance, I always give it to someone with a lathe and the shaft feels slick and perfect. Then after a while it starts to not feel as slick, which I assume just happens naturally after chalk, oil, and other residue buildup. If I could apply something like this from time to time and it will keep it slick and not hurt the wood, I would be an extremely happy camper.

Imotv8u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It might sound crazy but I’ve been using Arimith ball cleaner for about 6 months and it works great in my opinion.

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Johnsons Paste Wax, McQuires, California Gold, Mothers (all automobile Wax)

waxing a cue shaft or a cue once awhile is a good thing to do, diapers make good cloth wipes to work off the residue of wax.

does anyone polish the wood until it gets hot?

neolux

Registered
Check out some AZ forums on shaft care and maintenance. It seems that many people have many different opinions and methods for cleaning shafts. Don't know if one is better than another. I have talked to many custom cue makers (in Los Angeles area) over the years and each have their own opinion/method of cleaning shafts. Cue wax is usually applied after the shaft has been cleaned and stripped of dirt, grime, chalk, etc. The wax (or similar product) is used to feed the wood and seal the shaft. I have used denatured alcohol to strip/clean my old Jim Buss shafts, and then fed the shafts with Longoni cue wax. After I let the wax stay on the shaft for a few minutes, I wiped off the excess wax and then hand burnished with a leather burnisher. Made the shaft(s) nice and smooth. This is my method..I have only done this a few times over the years. All shafts/woods are different. All opinions are different. Hope this helps!!!

Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sometimes i use molinari (fluid), other times longoni (classic wax), sometimes i don't bother because i know that upcoming playing circumstances will call for a thorough cleaning afterwards