Aiming systems???

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
Oh man, why you do that. I was going to as your post as a example between real world pool shot making with shot making done under idea situations. There is a difference.

I mean like this whole idea of using 2d and "disc", fractional, (what fraction of the rail are you gonna hit), double the distance, back of the ball and a few other systems for aiming really goes out the window on the first pic, a simple rail first.....a real world shot that comes up alot in 8 ball and it of great use when you have a ball in the pocket but can not get the angle you need for the next shot unless you go rail first. Pretty common in the real world of pool that is outside the game of 9 ball.

And as for trying to use any alignment system, well the second pic, another real world shot, shows the the limitations of that idea. For a right handed shooter and trying the cut the 9 in the corner will challenge how well you can get into a non standard stance.

And for those that think that where you hit the pocket is not important, the third real world shot shows how important it is to be able to put the OB anywhere you want and to be able to bridge over anything and at any distance and not try to use a "ideal" bridge length.

There are things that you can set up in the lab to make a system fail, that will never happen in the real world. In the same sense, you can set up tests to show how well the system works.....under ideal situations. This is what alot of system marketing does....show how the system works under ideal situations, but in the real world of shot making, things are not always ideal.

The value of any system is how well it works in the extremes and not just under ideal situations.

There is only one way to learn that rail first shot, set it up and do it. And not rail first shots are the same, so it takes practice to get a feel for how the CB will come of the rail and downs goes your chances for a win. I won a tough game because I was able to do a two rail kick. Those require practice cause there is no system that gives you the feel for that type of shot.

If you do not practice placing the OB exactly where you want and being able to use any type of bridge or stroke, your odds for making that shot in the second pic goes way down and also your chances of a win.

The third pci really shows that one stance does not work for all shots and in the rel world of shot making, there are some ball positions that really test your flexibility.

What I notice the most is that most players do not know how to practice. I watch alot of players practice and none practice those types of shots I posted. Most just put 9 balls out there and go at it. If they miss a shot, they do not set it up again until it is made.

It is proper practice that will lead to more wins.

In 8ball, around here, there is the ole block the pocket shot. This is where the person you are playing will block a pocket with their ball in order to prevent you from using that pocket for one of your balls. You must practice how to unblock that pocket with your ball and do one of two things- follow your opponents ball in the pocket with yours or, block the pocket with your ball. There ain't a system around that can teach that and if all you ever play is 9 ball, I don't think you will see this much.

In 14.1, one type of safety is to bury the CB in a cluster of balls where the rack is. If done right, there is no where to place your bridge hand, hence one handed or a air bridge is needed plus knowing how to stroke in that kinda a situation, ie, not the ideal stance. How many practice this?

Of course, in the real world Ghost ball works on the shots I posted. First pic, figure where the GB contact patch needs to be to make the OB go center pocket and if you were to use the arrow, you could place is at the 8ball to give a real world aim point to practice with, and work backwards to the rail then to the CB.

Same with the shot in the second pic.

To be a consistent winner goes beyond being a player that uses a system. And this is what pool is all about-winning.

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Duckie>>
Your post shows a fundamental lack of understanding of the topic you're trying to debate.

I'll just leave it at that. Have fun.

Last edited: