MIZERAK "DOVE BALABUSHKA" All of Steve's cues tucked in the family closet now seen

HighEndCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
those cues shot some of the best pool ever. I wonder if they'll ever see the light again.
great collection
Steve over the years has let Dennis Searing play with the "Dove" many times. Dennis told me how incredible the hit was, so I had to see for myself. I chalked it up and played with it for a while, and it lived up all that was said about it, and more.

One fact I forgot to mention about the cue.
The "Dove" is a FULLSPLICE CUE. This is very rare for an Ebony point cue. The Ebony runs right though the handle.
It has been seen in Rosewood Bushka's.
Best,
Ken.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Those are some great cues. I did not read the whole thread if I missed the answers to my questions, but I am curious if we know who built the point blanks for those cues?

Elsewhere, the owner noted that it is a full splice. That would seem to indicate Burton Spain, as I'm not aware that Gus S. did full splices for others. But this could still be an unknown?

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Elsewhere, the owner noted that it is a full splice. That would seem to indicate Burton Spain, as I'm not aware that Gus S. did full splices for others. But this could still be an unknown?

Prongs not Gus's... Most likely Spain but outside chance Davis... Under the wrap could tell the tale... Dennis may know if he did a rewrap with refinish

JoshStodola

My stroke is garbage
Silver Member
One last peak at history

Thanks so much for sharing! I can only imagine how
much money you paid for this :eek: :groucho:

"The Miz" was before my time. I wish there was more
footage available online. The only video I could find
was on YouTube from the early 80s where Earl played
flawlessly and just totally whooped his ass.

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Steve asked for 59 inch Cues when he ordered them

He also never paid for a Cue. Only offering to reimburse when the Cue was sold. Keeping his fair share of course.
I think he was using this particular Cue when my buddy Dick Hunzicker busted him in his Pensacola poolroom. Willie Mosconi told Steve before he came down not to play Dick, adding whatever you do,do not play that man no straight pool.
Steve didn't listen. He replied what are you nuts I am the best in the world. I'll play him anything. Dick busted him playing 9 ball.
Willie told Dick about his advice to Steve after Steve had found out about the real for reals dead eye Dick.
But to be fair all the champs thought the same thing before coming down and getting light up.
No way a stupid rebel is beating me. Dick actually was from Sarycuse. Cranfield and Crane wouldn't have anything to do with Dick on a pool table. He tourtured them when they were young. Dick only played for money in New York. Mob backed. By 16 no one could best him .He did say he never got a chance to play Lassiter or Johnny Irish Red. He did like how the Red man played a lot.
Dick told Mezz's brother I will play any swinging dick that walks in that door. His brother or at least he told Dick he was used to go ahead of Steve making and finding games for him. Adding, I beat Champeens. I don't think Steve ever got over it.
Steve was way ahead of the times with his 59 inch Cue.
Dick beat him with playing a steel joint Muecci that Bob built for himin his garage when he was first getting started. It was 21.4 ozs. and 13.25 mm at the tip. St Louie Louie took him there telling Bob you got to build this man a Cue he is the best in the world.
I liked when Allen Kiel would talk about Astro Physics with Steve and how it related to billiards. Before I saw Dick play they were the 2 best straight players I had ever watched. I had been to a few New York straight pool State Championships before I was 14 but nothing came near to Dick Hunzicker on a table for the cash before he started wearing glasses. Even then not much changed.
Steve was offered a rematch any time he wanted to play again. He never took Dick up on that. Dick I believe paid for Steve's bus ride home. He always kept the players Cues until they paid to get them back. I asked why didn't you keep the Balabushka's and to my amazement he replied he didn't like the way the things hit.
Real Gentleman. Dick and Steve both.
Thanks for the memories,
Nick :)

Hal2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve did pay for a cue

Miz had to pay Pete Tascarella for a cue, but got a slight discount. Pete told me that he later saw Miz on T.V. shooting against Steve Davis in Europe using his cue. Davis beat Miz at straight pool and Miz beat Davis at ? Can't recall if it was nine ball or

Badbeat13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow

Can't believe I missed this thread until now.
The Dove Bushka is unbelievable, made by
a legend, for a legend. Thanks Ken, you
just don't see jaw dropping threads like this
very often, if ever.

I had the pleasure of meeting The Miz a few
times at Grover's Hip Pocket in West Palm
Beach in the late eighties and early nineties.
It was a thrill for a 17 year old kid that ate,
slept, and breathed pool to be in the presence
of a legend.

Thanks for a one of a kind thread Ken and
thanks for all the great photos of history
and greatness.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
BTW the dove inlay is shown in the Billiard Encyclopedia Third Edition, page 500. As a catalog inlay from HL Wild in NYC. You'll see a lot of Palmer inlays also...

JV

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I Understand There Are a Few Repros Underway.....

This is a wonderful design and I'd certainly be delighted to own a reproduction cue but naturally I'd order it with a ivory joint.

I still find it odd there's only a single dove inlay in this design and since there's four points/veneers, if I was having a repro made, and I understand there are a few being made, mine would definitely have four (4) dove inlays rather than just one (1) on Steve Mizserak's cue.

Heck, if I were going to have this cue made a different joint, well, I might as well personalize this great design that, at least for me, seems off kilter with only one dove inlay.

Matt B.

Last edited:

arkla

Registered
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=44e51714eb4135ed0c6410a7e8e7e01a&oe=568625EB

I had the great pleasure of having Pete Tascarella make a beautiful copy of the Mizerak cue for me. Here I am next to the original. Suffice to say Pete did a great job! As a side note - Pete still use Balabushka's old lathe so both cues were created on the same machine. A special thanks to Pete Jr for hand carving the dove. An amazing job on his part !

Last edited: