Colored Epoxy for inlays?

ComptonCustomCues

Quality Handcrafted Cues
Silver Member
I have heard and seen cue makers use epoxy for inlays....white black and even colors....I'm needing black that is truly black and doesn't look bad when dried. And white as well. Its for 1/16 dot inlays in nickle silver dots. Any suggestions? I have even seen another local cue maker use the stuff for small points:eek:

ComptonCustomCues

Quality Handcrafted Cues
Silver Member
.....I am needing it for a 1/16 round inlay inside a 1/8 round inlay.... I have heard and seen some big cue makers useing ebony dust and super glue for this but I wanted to know about epoxy options and opinions. I know they make color for epoxy but I wonder if the bubbles you see in epoxy would make it not look like a solid black or white but a tinted clear instead.

Last edited:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For that small of a dot inside silver epoxy dyed black will work fine.

Trent

Banned
you can get all diffrent kinds of epoxy dye at woodcraft i have a store local that i picked up some, i use it with a slow epoxy for glueing in my inlays i have brown black and white white works very well for not making a noticable glue line near the ferrule.

Good luck

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
you can get all diffrent kinds of epoxy dye at woodcraft i have a store local that i picked up some, i use it with a slow epoxy for glueing in my inlays i have brown black and white white works very well for not making a noticable glue line near the ferrule.

Good luck

While I'm not passing judgment on your use of a white pigment added to the epoxy
for mounting a ferrule, I would be willing to share my opinion regarding it's use
with respect to Predator ferrules.

At the time that the Gen-2 Predator shafts were initially released, someone in the
manufacturing process had the idea to do exactly as you are suggesting; adding a white pigment
to the epoxy to hide the glue-line.
If you recall, many of these ferrules had problems of de-bonding and cracking.
I replaced many of these ferrules.
On every one of these de-bonded/cracked ferrules that I had replaced, white pigment had been
used in the epoxy. While the pigmented epoxy provided an ALMOST adequate
bond to the wooden tenon, it did prove to be lacking in it's ability to bond to the
interior wall of the ferrule. Many felt that the composition of the ferrule mtrl.
itself was to blame and it was about the same time that the ferrule mtrl. was replaced with what it is now.
IIRC, the transition was from Titan to Max-lite.

I've had to replace very few of the ferrules made of the current mtrl. but I'm very leery to suggest
that the problem was solely that of the ferrule mtrl. itself.
I'm leaning towards the position that it was a combination of factors, that of both the ferrule mtrl.
and the addition of the white pigment.
I'm not privy to the amount of pigment that was used with the initial ferrule mtrl.
but the residual epoxy that was still left on the tenon was very white.
In a lot of cases it would literally peel off.

I'm not much concerned with a glue-line at the base of the ferrule because if your
machining of the ferrule and it's corresponding shoulder on the shaft are accurate,
there is very little if any glue-line visible.
There are however, instances where it's unavoidable, such as when the epoxy will wick
into the end-grain of the shaft. Quick setting epoxies may have an advantage here
but maybe not. You want the epoxy to wick into the surface of the tenon but not the
end-grain of the shaft's shoulder. Quite a conundrum.

The pigment has no bonding properties and as such will dilute the epoxy.
So I guess that in this case anyway, it comes down to a trade-off.
Do you compromise the bonding properties of the epoxy by adding a pigment to it or do you leave it
in full-strength form and rely on accurate machining to minimize a glue-line?
Use the epoxy pigment if you must, just use it sparingly.

Last edited:

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Great Informational Post KJ,

You address this point in great detail with information to support your observations and thinking, thanks for sharing! Paying attention to details like this times 100 different situations is what makes a great Cue Maker. A detailed questioning attitude, beta testing, field observation, and peer check & review is the secret to success.

I always use very little pigment on my ferrule installs and replacements using G5. I have found that just a very small dab on the end of the toothpick is enough the hide the fine tan line that occurs in the transition zone. You don't need for it to be white like Elmers Glue but a translucent tone works just fine.

After reading your post, I think it may be better to epoxy the ferrule on with out the pigment on, then mix a drop of white pigment in the left over epoxy. Slide the ferrule back a little and put the pigment epoxy on the machined flat face, then apply pressure and let set.

Because of your thread and sharing of experience, I am revising my QA/QC Manual to modify the ferrule install.

Thanks,

Rick

Last edited:

ComptonCustomCues

Quality Handcrafted Cues
Silver Member
Thanks everyone. I received some very helpfull replies and pms as well as one very helpfull cue maker that gave me a call. Many thanks to you. I found the coloring at woodcraft. I will do some test batches to see how the black comes out. Has anyone tried the west system white coloring theysell for their epoxy? Is it truly white....??Again many thanks to everyone on here that took the time to help. When I get the cue done I'll post pictures in this thread so you all can see how it turned out.....(fingers crossed).lol

Last edited:

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
Another consequence of using too much pigment in such a tiny volume of epoxy (1/16" dot) is that you may dilute the mixture, and the material may not ever harden. At least with the dye that I'm using, it takes FAR less dye than you think to get the job done. Less is more.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks everyone. I received some very helpfull replies and pms as well as one very helpfull cue maker that gave me a call. Many thanks to you. I found the coloring at woodcraft. I will do some test batches to see how the black comes out. Has anyone tried the west system white coloring theysell for their epoxy? Is it truly white....??Again many thanks to everyone on here that took the time to help. When I get the cue done I'll post pictures in this thread so you all can see how it turned out.....(fingers crossed).lol

an inexpensive product that works fine is Tints-all. You can find it at most Home Depots, Lowes or any paint supply. It is like $2.00 a tube.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/tints-all-universal-tinting-colorant-1-1-2-oz-tube.aspx

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't know if you got my PM... although I've never tried it, I've seen Inlace used in custom pens and small bowls: http://www.inlaceonline.com/text/products/kits.html. I don't mock it, different strokes for different folks and certainly for some applications (such as yours), I would certainly consider it. Good luck and if you try it, I'd like to see the results :grin:.
That is funny you mention that stuff. I was on a plane with the inventor/market and he sent me a sample kit. I think he is a doctor or something because when I called him it was his office number. I believe the stuff is what they use to plug bowling balls when they re drill them. I never got around to trying it but in reality is is not that different then people who do Turquoise inlay by mixing a bunch of chips with glue.