JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
All that hardware on a toy lathe ?
He should have done that on a South Bend . :smile:

ComptonCustomCues

Quality Handcrafted Cues
Silver Member
I have a couple of those toy lathes and I totally agree....a waste for all that time expense and energy. I do like mine but they arn't on the same level as a metal lathe. All though that would make a great tapering machine
Here is the same guy machine some parts....wait till the end when he takes a picture of his lathe and accessories....wow....money money money.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6WI0MIzlHE&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I used a Taig lathe for my last cnc taperer.
The runout on that 3-jaw chuck is easily .003".
I had to shim the dead center/driver to get it down to .0003".
It spun fine after that. It's high speed is quite nice b/c you can really hog out wood.
I could taper 1" dowels to .950"-650" cones in two passes at less than 6 minutes .
I've switched to manual for now as it keeps the shop cleaner and I had issues with my stepper and controller . They weren't dead-on accurate. Can't beat manual when it comes down to getting down .002" away from sanding mandrel size imo.
Unless I go servo, gecko and thk actuators, I won't do it again.

ComptonCustomCues

Quality Handcrafted Cues
Silver Member
Do you mean manually turning the carriage or useing powerfeed? And I have a small taig headstock that has the collets. You can get much better accuracy out of a dead center in a collet. I machined my dead center on that lathe so it runs dead true. But the chucks I would not count on for extreme accuracy. I have to admit that lathe in the video, both even would be great for making your own pins