What "Mods" have you made to your favorite playing cue and why?

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
So we all have a favorite playing cue. What modifications have you made to your cue and why?

For me, it's my 60" JossWest. Loved the feel of the handle but I did not like the standard 30" shafts because of the squirt. I also did not care for the feel of the leather wrap.

I had the wrap changed to stack leather and loved it. I played with a Predator 30" 314 for awhile, liked the way it played but did not like the balance (too light in front) . Royce sent me a 30" OB classic (12.75mm) to try and liked the feel a lot. Used this for about a year.

Finally tried a Tiger Pro X in beta format and decided this was my shaft. I went back to 29" for better stiffness. It took a few months to get used to the smaller tip (11.75mm) and lower squirt, but love the shaft. I've been with this for about 5 years now and my game has improved with it. No plans on changing at all.

What's your story?

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I play with a shawn putnam...

So we all have a favorite playing cue. What modifications have you made to your cue and why?

For me, it's my 60" JossWest. Loved the feel of the handle but I did not like the standard 30" shafts because of the squirt. I also did not care for the feel of the leather wrap.

I had the wrap changed to stack leather and loved it. I played with a Predator 30" 314 for awhile, liked the way it played but did not like the balance (too light in front) . Royce sent me a 30" OB classic (12.75mm) to try and liked the feel a lot. Used this for about a year.

Finally tried a Tiger Pro X in beta format and decided this was my shaft. I went back to 29" for better stiffness. It took a few months to get used to the smaller tip (11.75mm) and lower squirt, but love the shaft. I've been with this for about 5 years now and my game has improved with it. No plans on changing at all.

What's your story?

I converted the shaft it came with to my LD design with normal feel.

Jaden

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
I have two Vigus cues I play with. My favorite between them is the one that has Larry's break taper on it. It originally had deanoc' preferred taper on it, but it took a while to get used to.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
put a a kamui clear medium on my ron kilby custom carom sneaky pete`s 12mm shaft
56inch
18ounce

my other favorite is also a ron kilby small game carom cue,moori soft 11mm shaft
which i also play straight pool with, using that same shaft with the kamui clear medium
54inch
15.8 ounce

they need no modding for me

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
What "Mods" have you made to your favorite playing cue and why?

Had 2 new shafts made w/ black linen micarta ferrules & put the original shafts w/ivory ferrules on closet queen duty

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I put a Guido Orlandi "Conical Joint" in my Cue. It became a Magic Wand. I don't even play with my other cues anymore.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After being around this game pretty much my entire life, I think I finally nailed it...... Its the last cue Im having made anyhow...... :thumbup:
Im having this built right now in Pechauers shop, should have it in 2-3 weeks.

I picked one of their catalog cues to start, changed some colors etc
59" (30" shaft)
"Monkey" leather wrap
Pechauer P-Lite with a custom taper at 12mm
19.5 oz with their 'Pro' joint

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The sole change to any of my cues is a 1/4 oz. weight bolt I added to my cue that I able to position in the butt where it produced a very pleasing & subtle balance change to my Jerry R. cue.

Last edited:

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
After being around this game pretty much my entire life, I think I finally nailed it...... Its the last cue Im having made anyhow...... :thumbup:
Im having this built right now in Pechauers shop, should have it in 2-3 weeks.

I picked one of their catalog cues to start, changed some colors etc
59" (30" shaft)
"Monkey" leather wrap
Pechauer P-Lite with a custom taper at 12mm
19.5 oz with their 'Pro' joint

Monkey wrap huh? I'd like to see it when it's finished.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not much. Custom ordered my cue the way I like it but decided the shaft diameter was too thick at 12.75mm. Ordered a third shaft at 12mm and had one of my two 12.75mm shafts turned down to 12.25mm. The 12mm is my main playing shaft though, love it!

Other than that, taking the tip height down to about 1/3 of new on my playing shaft because that's how's I like it.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its just a pattern, not real monkey.....

That's good to know. Using monkey skin would really concern me.

As for mods, I use an old 314 shaft on my Olivier, and changed the linen wrap to cork.

And I just had it fitted to accommodate a Predator extension.

Gideon

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
I made it longer, then shorter. I made it lighter, then heavier. I tried a wrap, then wrapless. Did the low deflection thing, then not. Tried many tips, ferrules.

My game still sucks. Next step is to start practicing!

Larry

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I started with a low squirt cue and added mass to increase the squirt to level I liked.

The End

Freddie <~~~ my cue is squirtalicious (next hit song)

Okay, not the end. I am now reminded that I designed up an adapter for my Schuler weight system to accept the Tiger Extension.