Glasses

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats super cheap considering my insurance will cover most of it.

With the non reflection coating and shipping it came to $130.24 USD.

Reading the reviews, I saw that most complaints were that the rims were kinda flimsy but most didn't seem to really care much since they were only using them for billiards and not wearing them for everyday wear. They appear to have a good satisfaction guarantee.

I think they look far better than the Canadian glasses but maybe not as good as the Curran glasses. I do think that Curran tries to get a pair of glasses that are more tailored to your exact position over the cue ball and such. For more casual playing I am not sure how much that matters considering the extra expense.

If I don't like these very much, I would go to the Curran glasses. We'll see how it goes.

hurricane145

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats super cheap considering my insurance will cover most of it.

That would be a good deal if insurance covers them!
I have already used up my insurance getting glasses before I retired. I could get them every 2 years which worked okay since I started needing them about 10 years ago. Could get just a checkup every year. Now retired so no coverage for glasses anymore. I don't need new ones very often anymore and just need +1 distance and +2.5 close for reading. My prescription hasn't changed much through the years.

Playing pool without any glasses everything looks blurred about the same at any distance. I haven't played much at all the last several years due to work and family etc. so had not given it much thought.

At one tournament I used to go to there was a guy with the worst "pop bottle glasses" I have ever seen and he played pretty good.
A good hustle...You might spend more time wondering how he could see ANYTHING rather than concentrating on your own game!!:grin:

hurricane145

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ordered the glasses from Spex4less on June 30th and they arrived today on July 9. That is pretty quick I would say from the UK.

They come in a good enough case. They are very light weight. I tried them on and they fit fine. I haven't been out to play pool with them yet but just checking them out looking out the top of them at different distances around the room all I can say so far is WOW!

I hope to get out later today or perhaps tomorrow and biff at balls for a while with them.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Add ALEX PAG to the list of players that wear them. A few guys in my room use them as well.

I myself may investigate them as my eyes are starting to degenerate. First to the eye doctor I go for an exam.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ordered the glasses from Spex4less on June 30th and they arrived today on July 9. That is pretty quick I would say from the UK.

They come in a good enough case. They are very light weight. I tried them on and they fit fine. I haven't been out to play pool with them yet but just checking them out looking out the top of them at different distances around the room all I can say so far is WOW!

I hope to get out later today or perhaps tomorrow and biff at balls for a while with them.

I haven’t gotten around to ordering them yet but thanks for the info.

LocalArtist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree, you'd be much better off playing with normal glasses that you use everyday. So you are used to the way the lens sits in front of your eyes. If you switch the focal center of the lens just a little bit (two pairs of glasses will not be the same) your shots will be off and you will feel out of line when you are shooting.

Alex P. has been wearing them recently but he spends his days and nights on the table so he can easily get used to the lenses. I guess you could wear them everyday to work if you wanted but be prepared to respond to some jerks. If you thought you were razzed when you started wearing a glove just wait until you go to the pool hall with these babys on your face.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I play with oversized frame progressive lens and they work for me. But I enjoy specialty glasses and going to Curran next week. I’ve been busy and could not get there. As for billiard eyewear we cant tell each other what is best or not good. It’s vital to have an optician that understands what you want and will work with you. Work with you meaning doing it over until it works out to your comfort. Doing it over until it is right.
The last optician I went to did not fully understand.... made a set... I said they are way off .... they replied we made what you asked for.

Last edited:

hurricane145

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you thought you were razzed when you started wearing a glove just wait until you go to the pool hall with these babys on your face.

Gloves? Wash yer freakin' hands once in a while!

But who gives a rat about what anyone thinks about you anyway?
Worries about that is a sign of your own insecurities.
The only thing that matters in a pool hall is how many balls you can make. I'll be out later today with the glasses to play some. Didn't get a chance yesterday.
My first impression is that they will require no time at all to get used to for playing pool. I have played my regular progressive lenses and other lenses I have and they don't work well at all. May as well not have any glasses on at all.

It's tougher when you played for 30 years not needing any glasses at all then take a few years break (job, family etc) and come back trying to deal with bad eyesight you never had before! There is no easing into that!

I have had a couple friends in the past that played with their regular glasses that they needed most all of their life and they played well with them but back then there was no choice. They all had a more upright stance. Couldn't get down on a ball very well. One who was a very good player took an inordinate amount of time to shoot. Whatever bracket he was in for the tournament was always far behind the other. He did very well in spite of it.

Last edited:

hurricane145

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The last optician I went to did not fully understand.... made a set... I said they are way off .... they replied we made what you asked for.

There are always doctors etc. that just want to do the easy stuff. But there are those who are willing to take on a challenge and see it through to the end.
Those are the good guys.
Guys like Curran know the problem and how to make it work for you. They have a willingness to go out of their way a bit and help out a group of people in a small niche others wouldn't bother with. Sure there is some money in it but I doubt it is a big part of their money flow.
I had a girlfriend once that worked for a couple orthopedic doctors. She said all they want is the broken arms and legs. No back problems and difficult stuff.

Not much of a doctor. Maybe a good golfer though!!:grin:

hurricane145

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spex4less glasses review.

I got out for a while and played using the glasses yesterday. I was on a 9 ft table that sits a little lower than most. The glasses are a big improvement but not perfect. The focus at the cue ball is better and tolerable. The focus at any pocket distance is very good. I was impressed with that.

With some side pocket shots that are mostly perpendicular to the side rail, I noticed some concave curvature of the side rail off to the left and right of the pocket but the pocket was where it was supposed to be! Odd to see it that way but easy to get used to.

The glasses are very light weight. You hardly know you are wearing them for that, very comfortable. I didn't need to push them up my nose very often. They cover what you want to see very well when down on a ball and probably more so on a 7 or 8 ft table. Having no frame at the top of the lens is a good thing if your eyes do need to go up that far for some reason.

The horizontal nose bridge is a bit annoying when you are just standing around. Down on a ball I didn't notice them. The glasses (at least for me) are problematic when chalking if you are looking at what you are doing. Too out of focus that close in. I think that the Curran glasses would be good with some magnification at the bottom like a bifocal for reading score sheets, chalking etc. That would be a worthwhile improvement for me.

I think that these glasses are good for more casual play and not trying to win a big tournament, going for high runs, high stakes gambling etc.

I would guess that the Curran glasses have adjusted for some of the annoyances of these glasses that I found.

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... With some side pocket shots that are mostly perpendicular to the side rail, I noticed some concave curvature of the side rail off to the left and right of the pocket but the pocket was where it was supposed to be! Odd to see it that way but easy to get used to. ...

See post #20 above.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
I wear progressives so my choices for contacts our limited.

Not sure if the "progressive" part of your prescriptionis necessary for playing pool. I've always had horrible eyesight, but capable of putting up 3-5 packs in 9 ball with contacts. Just gotta have em tuned for the shot distance you have the most issues with.

I had a pair of the pool glasses, and hated them. They warp parts of your vision, and it's like having to learn to shoot pool all over again.

RandyinHawaii

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just got my billiard glasses from Spex4less. I had another pair that I paid quite a bit more for. I won't say the Spex4less are better, but they are not worse either and for the price they will be my go to place for billiard glasses.

I went with the Dennis Taylor model as my previous glasses were rimless(drilled through lenses) and found them to be pretty fragile.

Anyhow, just my thoughts.

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I need glasses to play (just got my first prescription a year ago) but refused to spend a lot of $.

I've started buying all my glasses from eyebuydirect.com and the prices are ridiculous. I get titaniums on a 2-for-1 sale for like $180 for both. I also buy beaters to lose/abuse for like $30 each. I've gotten both progressives and non-progressives and been happy with both. Service is kind of sub-par but the prices make it worth it.

Recently I got a couple oversized frames thinking they'd be good for billiards, and they have. They were around $30 each for the frames, and also fell under a 2-for-1 sale. Note that in the picture with the gold frames those are billiard balls, not pool balls, and so slightly larger. My titaniums are next to them for comparison:

Attachments

• glasses4.JPG
    glasses4.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 143

Buster Jones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure if the "progressive" part of your prescriptionis necessary for playing pool. I've always had horrible eyesight, but capable of putting up 3-5 packs in 9 ball with contacts. Just gotta have em tuned for the shot distance you have the most issues with.

I had a pair of the pool glasses, and hated them. They warp parts of your vision, and it's like having to learn to shoot pool all over again.

For me, it was like learning all over again. Actually never truly learned it well. And I believe the new type progressives made it more difficult because it's changes your depth perception.

My 1st prescription was 2002 and never used my glasses until 2013. Been struggling with my form ever since. Can't get in the same position every shot. Recently dropped the glasses and starting to see the results. I feel much more comfortable at the table. Timing is much better. Stroke is much better. Less neck pain also.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wanted to add a few thoughts. I've worn glasses, contacts, and recently had laser surgery so I think I can add a little to this discussion.

For one, everyone is going to have a somewhat unique experience when it comes to vision correction and pool. Unless you are an actual eye doctor and the person asking the question is your patient, any advice here is going to be very subjective.

That said, when I went in for surgery, my vision had deteriorated to -6.5 in both eyes. Wearing contacts was beginning to give me a headache and the distortion I experienced while wearing glasses made it nearly impossible for me to continue competing at the level I'm used to.

In my opinion, if you are experiencing vision problems, speak to a doctor and be candid with them about your pool expectations. Ask them about your options and decide which of those you're comfortable with. I suffered from astigmatism in both eyes and for the longest time, I wasn't a candidate for laser surgery. That recently changed and I can't tell you how pleased I am with the results. I see 20/20 now and I'm 100% confident that any hiccups I have in my game aren't related to my vision.

L.S. Dennis

I need to buy prescription glasses designed for pool. I know I saw someone at sbx but now I can’t find his business card. Who have you guys bought Bullard glasses from And do you like them? I can’t play with normal glasses on and ask come up to my 50s its getting tougher to play without them. Before anyone says contacts ... I’ve tried them and hate them lol
DECOT-HY-WYD are some of the best pool/sport glasses out there
P0 box15830 Phoenix AZ. 85060
decot@sportglasses.co
1-800-528-1901