Hard case VS soft case

eezbank

Silver Surfer
Silver Member
I got both soft and hard cases.

When going to tournament, I cannot imagine going with a soft case, it's like an accident waiting to happen.

So, I like a hard case with tubes as in my Instroke for example.

The John Barton case makes me nervous, while it holds the cues well apparently, how do you know the cues are not pushing against each other and bending shafts etc.?

I agree. I like the old tube style cases. When I play in a tournament I like to put my cues in the case butt down. I have no interest in these newer interiors they are using now.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The John Barton case makes me nervous, while it holds the cues well apparently, how do you know the cues are not pushing against each other and bending shafts etc.?

He designs them so they don't. They have foam top and bottom, but not in the middle so there is no side pressure. That being said, like you, I'm overly concerned about such things. I use his 2x5/3x4 case but only load it as a 2x4. Everything drops right in smoothly without any hint of pressure, but it's all cradled so nice and safe.

I've had Instroke (tubes), Whitten (tubes), Justis (ProLite), and GTF (similar to JB's UltraPad since he designed it, but too tight for my taste). I feel better about my cues in my Ultimate Rugged case then I did any of those others.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
I agree. I like the old tube style cases. When I play in a tournament I like to put my cues in the case butt down. I have no interest in these newer interiors they are using now.

This is "ONLY" necessary if you do not put the case under the pool table!!!

If you place the cue case out in the open for the drunken public then yes all bets are off and you need as much protection as "Humanly Possible" So many people want their case next to their chair and ignore the security and protection provided by the pool table itself! pretty hard to damage the cue when 1200 pounds of slate and 400 pounds of wood are providing protective cover.

KD

Lou Bones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He designs them so they don't. They have foam top and bottom, but not in the middle so there is no side pressure. That being said, like you, I'm overly concerned about such things. I use his 2x5/3x4 case but only load it as a 2x4. Everything drops right in smoothly without any hint of pressure, but it's all cradled so nice and safe.

I've had Instroke (tubes), Whitten (tubes), Justis (ProLite), and GTF (similar to JB's UltraPad since he designed it, but too tight for my taste). I feel better about my cues in my Ultimate Rugged case then I did any of those others.

I personally love my Sterling Wave 3x4. It has the foam padding and it seems to keep my cues and shafts extremely stable and "cradled" (for lack of a better word). I also own a smaller tubes-styled case but never liked it because my shafts can move a little and rattle around in there. I hated that. The padding in my Sterling doesn't allow for any movement, but it doesn't apply any pressure either. However, I usually only carry two cues with me, despite it having a larger capacity. I don't like cramming things in there too tight. But the case itself is great.

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
buy once and buy with the understanding that you have to LIVE with the case for the rest of your life!!!

when you think of it this way listed above, you do your self and your wallet a big favor.

i have 8 or more cases bought for different reasons/ purposes. i had a VERY Flashy case and it was a distraction and drew too much unwanted attention.

then

Bought a plain case and it was too plain

then

got into tournaments and needed comfort and bought a light case.

then

tried my buddies backpack straps and was hooked

then

got a hager extender and it would not fit my case

it just went on and on until I look in my basement at roughly 8 cases.

Buy BIG enough to grow and expand!!! Most important
Buy a soft case because it will carry MORE and weight LESS
Buy Backpack straps because you travel via public transportation easier to function with both hands free. plus, spread the weight over BOTH shoulders.
Get the Biggest shoulder pads offered size matters.
Buy a nice looking case that you can be proud of for YEARS
If pool is a part of your life then don't skimp.
Consider durability and wear! Many cases look horribly scratched up. Best bet is to buy a black leather case and get a can of black shoe polish! Other option is get the case made out of bullhide or some other scratch resistant leather like veggie tan.

KD

And you will be able to find Kid Dynomite at the Super Billiards Expo in April at the used case table. Could be some good deals! I'm with the Kid as I have had six cases over the years. Three of them have gone in garage sales but they all made sense at the time. It's kinda like getting a carry holster ... bet ya' can't do it in just one purchase. My current/newest is a GTF tooled leather hard case and I love it.

bral

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thought I'd chime in, I've owned a few of the types of cases mentioned, and the JB rugged is a solid choice. However, if you're going to be traveling far with it over your shoulder or walking around event venues, you'll probably want a different shoulder strap than the standard one. In my experience that strap/pad wants to quickly slide off any material. You can custom order them with better quality leather handles and straps, this is the route I'll go if I buy another.

Last edited:

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
If you have to travel and check your case as baggage (airplane) I think a hard case would be better...??

Plagueis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you place the cue case out in the open for the drunken public then yes all bets are off and you need as much protection as "Humanly Possible" So many people want their case next to their chair and ignore the security and protection provided by the pool table itself! pretty hard to damage the cue when 1200 pounds of slate and 400 pounds of wood are providing protective cover.

KD

Brilliant idea, and if anyone wants to try and take something then everyone will see cause all eyes are usually on the table

Thought I'd chime in, I've owned a few of the types of cases mentioned, and the JB rugged is a solid choice. However, if you're going to be traveling far with it over your shoulder or walking around event venues, you'll probably want a different shoulder strap than the standard one. In my experience that strap/pad wants to quickly slide off any material. You can custom order them with better quality leather handles and straps, this is the route I'll go if I buy another.

I was taking of getting a laptop bag shoulder strap pad for any case I buy because they can be very comfortable

Wolven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks for the info on JB construction. Good info.

Anyone ever seen cases with two small pocket tubes for jump cues, or something like that?
I have a Mezz Airdrive which is a 3 piece, shaft, handle and a mini shaft.
I build a case by cutting in half, a normal 1x1 case and attaching it to my case, works well enough but it would be nice to be without the contraption.

As for shoulder straps, most leather strap pads slip very easily, real pain. There is an nonslip AirPad by Matin that easily fits over any strap and can be moved between bags without effort.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
If you have to travel and check your case as baggage (airplane) I think a hard case would be better...??

Not an issue for me. Hard or soft case, it would not get checked by itself. Cue and case always gets packed inside my luggage. Now I have heard of some packing their cue in the luggage and carrying the empty case on board, but why bother?

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Most pro players get a big hard suitcase and put the cue case inside the hard suitcase!!!

Again, the hard suitcase has to be utterly destroyed to hurt the cue. Soft cases fit better in the hard suitcases.

All the arguments against soft cases are easily and logically over come!

Kd

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess it depends with what you play with. When I played with my Scruggs lambros etc I used my Justis case for protection. Now that I'm playing with off the shelf predators I don't worry as much. I play with a super lite butterfly that feels like your not even carrying cues lol I just don't want to carry that heavy case around all day

Rookie33

Registered
Just my two, but I think it depends of your level of investment. If your setups are north of $1500 then I would drop the extra dollars on protection.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Most pro players get a big hard suitcase and put the cue case inside the hard suitcase!!!

Again, the hard suitcase has to be utterly destroyed to hurt the cue. Soft cases fit better in the hard suitcases.

All the arguments against soft cases are easily and logically over come!

Kd
I hope to have that "problem" someday!!!:D