Video Camera

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member
Hey guys... wondering if someone could point me in the right direction for a decent but cheap video camera. All I want is the ability to tape a game of straight pool (so battery and recording life of around 90 minutes), good enough quality to distinguish the balls, and most of all, quick and easy uploading to a windows vista computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Steve

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
Steve Lipsky said:
Hey guys... wondering if someone could point me in the right direction for a decent but cheap video camera. All I want is the ability to tape a game of straight pool (so battery and recording life of around 90 minutes), good enough quality to distinguish the balls, and most of all, quick and easy uploading to a windows vista computer.

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve, I don't have one myself so this is not a recommendation, but from what I read in the other posts concerning a camera the best way to go is MiniDv or one with a hard drive in it, $350-$400.

Here is one post about cameras http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=68130&highlight=video+camera .

There seems to be many issues concerning cameras about converting, compressing, etc etc..its all beyond me:(

Kev

Last edited:

Vahe

Registered
Steve... it's been a while... hope all is well.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...8_SDR_H18_Ultra_Compact_HDD_SD_Camcorder.html

Quick search on Cnet.com returned this model. Not sure if this is out of your price range.

I would go with the hard drive camcorders. Much smaller since there is no need for a door and enclosure to hold the tape. I have a JVC model which can record approximately 7 hours at the hichest quality setting. Got it last year and many more models to choose from now...

Try ConsumerReports.org for the latest reviews - need a membership though.

OneArmed

the agony of billiards...
Silver Member
thanks, i'm also looking for something to record matches.

any opinions on what to use to stream matches?

Steve Lipsky

Silver Member
So weird... when I checked out both these cameras on amazon, the prices listed were about twice what your original links said.

I'm not married to buying on amazon, but I can't see how the prices can be that different? Am I looking at something wrong, or has amazon just become a complete joke?

Thanks again!

- Steve

OneArmed

Silver Member
Steve Lipsky said:
So weird... when I checked out both these cameras on amazon, the prices listed were about twice what your original links said.

I'm not married to buying on amazon, but I can't see how the prices can be that different? Am I looking at something wrong, or has amazon just become a complete joke?

Thanks again!

- Steve

I have a feeling that Amazon prices fluctuate wildly because of their software. If you check the same product in a few days, it may be different. Looks like other vendors are up in the $900's as well. (maybe new model?)

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve there is a large retail store a block away from Penn Station on 8th ave I think. Can't remember the name. They have great prices. I would recommend something with a hard drive. 20 gigs would probably be in your price range. Ask Wei he has one. I think he paid around $400.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Steve, here is a link that I went into some of the specifics of use / vs type / vs options.

While I strongly feel (as you will read) that miniDV is the best solution for transfer to DVD for TV viewing, other options can work just fine also, and lots of folks are happy with their choices.

Take it for what it's worth, but I posted a few replies, and LMAO, got some heated controversy on format of choice. I remain convinced especially if you want the luxury of the option to edit and effect your video, that miniDV is an excellent choice among other reasons I listed, including price.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=106578

Chris_Lynch

I play pool
Silver Member
Steve,

Got to B&H video on 9th Ave and 34th Street. They'll be very helpful and you'll get a good price.

Chris

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
If you want to edit your video (and you will sooner or later) go with Mini-DV.

I was looking for a small third camera to go with our $2600 main cameras. After much searching I realized that this level of camera is all about what compromises you are willing to live with. The best one I found for doing things like you are talking about and the one I bought is this http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-camcorders/panasonic-pv-gs320/4505-6500_7-32330317.html

It is Panasonic's top of the line Mini DV from the last generation which means you can find it for a reasonable price (I bought ours at Best Buy for $300) There is no proprietary software or trick crap that you need to run it just standard Firewire or USB and Windows Movie Maker or the NLE program of your choice. I have been very happy with this one.

Vahe

Registered
Steve Lipsky said:

Thanks again!

- Steve

Try a shopping bot like PriceGrabber.com or Shopzilla.com.

All you need is a model number and you'll get a bunch of prices that have been listed on the web.

Keep in mind that the lowest price may not be the most reputable place. I usually take the lowest price listed in the search results from a place I trust.

B&H is a great resource - extremely knowledeable staff and good prices.

Vahe

Steve Lipsky

Silver Member
Wow, all of this is so helpful. 3andStop, that was a great thread - I will read it in more detail tonight.

So it seems that maybe my opinion of these little electronics shops in Manhattan might not be accurate - before reading this thread, I would've never walked into places like that. But I guess they are reputable?

- Steve

briandlau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dmgwalsh said:
Steve: This is the one I use.

sony handycam dcr-sr82

I paid $400 something but it's cheaper now:

http://www.techondigital.com/product.asp?productid=DCRSR82

60gb of hard drive. Many many hours of video can be taped. Downloads to my computer easily.

DMG, do you trust buying from that site? This is cheaper than what pricegrabber has listed for the 30GB model.

I may have to retract that last comment. I was confusing that model with the SR85.

Last edited:

greenkill

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Steve Lipsky said:
Wow, all of this is so helpful. 3andStop, that was a great thread - I will read it in more detail tonight.

So it seems that maybe my opinion of these little electronics shops in Manhattan might not be accurate - before reading this thread, I would've never walked into places like that. But I guess they are reputable?

- Steve

B&H is by far one of the most reputable place when it comes to photography, videography equipment. If you still are not comfortable buying from there, you can still go in there and ask for advice on what to buy. You can then go price shop that model on the internet.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve Lipsky said:

Thanks,
Steve
Steve,
This one is pretty cheap, you can probably get it for around $700 and it does High Definition and also can shoot 10 seconds of 300 frames per second clips which may be handy.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Samsung-SC-HMX20-Camcorder-Review-35416.htm

It also uses 8gig flash memory which is easy to take straight to your computer. It does 71 mins high def or 2 hours+ at lower but still good resolution. You could add another 8 or 16 gig flash memory card which doubles or triples you recording times.

Low light performance is pretty good for a cheap entry camcorder.

Best value out there for ease of use and quality HD recording IMHO.

Colin

OneArmed

Silver Member
greenkill said:
B&H is by far one of the most reputable place when it comes to photography, videography equipment. If you still are not comfortable buying from there, you can still go in there and ask for advice on what to buy. You can then go price shop that model on the internet.

yes, I've also purchased from B&H online before, the transaction went well.

cuetable

Line Up Your Best Shot!
Silver Member
Hi Stevie:

There are many things you might want to think of:

1, You want a camera with manual override on focus and exposure settings. And you have to experiment a few times to get the best exposure setting. The lighting condition on almost all the tables I have been on are quite low for video.
2, You want a camera with a view finder LCD that swivels out, so you can check on the framing when the camera is up high. An IR remote to start/stop the recording would be very handy
3, You want a steady tripod that will go up really tall, 8 ft or more. You might also find ways of setting up camera mounting rigs from the ceiling. This is very doable since most cameras you are thinking of will weight nothing.
4, You want to plug the camera into the wall. Batteries are expensive, have short lives and always last shorter than what the manual says
5, Forget about tapes for now. You want to look into cameras HDD of Flash Memory Card options that allow you to bring videos onto your computer in a snap

Go to B&H Photo on 34 St and 9 ave and get a guy to show you all the cameras available, also be sure to tell him everything above plus:

a, Your computer set up: CPU speed, RAM, HD space
b, You need to shoot video in a format that's compatible with your video editing software

Please feel free to call me if you need a second opinion :)

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Steve

I am a very un-sophisticated user, but I have two cams. The first one is a Sony. It is an odd ball, by which I do not mean that there is anything wrong with it. It was originally priced at about $1700.00. It was marked down to about $800.00 and I bought it. It has a 40 gig hd. The monitor is 3.5 in. All the others that I see now are 2.7 in. Then I wanted slow motion capibilities. I bought software from Sports Motion and then found out that the software only worked with tape drives. So I bought a Cannon zr800 for about $250.00. I understand that there are programs that will provide slow motion with hard drive cams, I just haven't got around to finding them. In fact, someone on this forum allerted me to it and I have failed to thank him and follow up on what he told me. If he sees this post please accept my thanks and I will go to work on it.

Dave Nelson

Last edited:

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve

Also, battery life is not a big problem. If you are recording or playing back in a room where you have electrical outlets available you just plug the camera in and the battery will stay fully charged while you record or play.

Dave Nelson