First Lathe.

PickPocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is what I wanna do:

Be Mobile.
Tips, Ferrules, maybe wraps.
Minor shaft work.

Looking for something that isn't an extreme right now. wont be building cues with it in the future, wanna stay mobile.

can anyone provide input on this for me Please and thank you in advance! :grin:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Most people would advise to buy as much lathe as you can afford. So listing your budget would make suggestions easier to make.

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
I was going to say the same thing. The mid-size from Chris Hightower it is the best in my opinion. There is plenty to choose out there, it is just a matter of how much can you spend.

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
Don't do it. It's an addiction that will cost you thousands of dollars. Everyone starts out just wanting to do repairs. That's the hook. Ten thousand dollars later you are standing on street corners in front of pool halls. Selling you product. Just to buy more wood. It's an addiction I tell you!

Welcome to the addiction!

Larry

Sport666

FC3 Custom Cues & Repairs
Silver Member
Addiction is a understatement. But all the accomplishments are priceless.

Trent

Banned
Don't do it. It's an addiction that will cost you thousands of dollars. Everyone starts out just wanting to do repairs. That's the hook. Ten thousand dollars later you are standing on street corners in front of pool halls. Selling you product. Just to buy more wood. It's an addiction I tell you!

Welcome to the addiction!

Larry

Only 10K geeez Larry your a darn good bargain shopper lol

i wouldnt buy the mid size id buy the deluxe for doing repairs and so you can make a couple cues in the future:thumbup: youll want to, i know it.

if you get on here in 6 months saying LIB cue building lathe im going to say, I told you so lol

Last edited:

Trent

Banned
its not really machinery that will hurt you its all other other stuff, materials, glue, pins tooling, it nickel and dimes you to death.

Busbee Cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only 10K geeez Larry your a darn good bargain shopper lol

i wouldnt buy the mid size id buy the deluxe for doing repairs and so you can make a couple cues in the future:thumbup: youll want to, i know it.

if you get on here in 6 months saying LIB cue building lathe im going to say, I told you so lol

I agree with Trent. If you go with the Mid Size you will REGRET it!! Been there and done that. The Deluxe is a very nice setup.

Bill the Cat

Proud maker of CAT cues
Silver Member
Just my $.02

All of Chris's lathes are top notch, but the OP stated that it "Be Mobile".

If this is really an important requirement, I'd look at one of Chris's Micro Cue Lathes.

radge69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chris's stuff is top notch. For the mobile part, the unique cue companions are great as well.

PickPocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok..

Most people would advise to buy as much lathe as you can afford. So listing your budget would make suggestions easier to make.

What could I get for $1000.00 or less? And YES mobility is key! Gotta start somewhere! and yes i'm sure down the road I will add additional equipment including more Lathes.. how many of you builders have multiple lathes?! right!

Last edited:

MightyCustomCue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pickpocket, although I too have Chris's Deluxe, I've had much, much success with Unique's Cue Companion doing exactly what you are looking to do: tips, cleanings, reductions, retapers and wraps. So much so that I currently have 3 Cue Companions: 1 fixed in the shop, 1 to travel with and 1 fixed at my proshop at a local hall. If necessary, I remove one and take two to a tournament. It folds up, doesn't weigh much and allows you to effectively, efficiently, professionally and MOST important profit from, doing exactly those operations. I use my first companion almost daily, with the same motor and the same fuse for nearly 10 years, it is truly a workhorse. At busy tournaments, I'll be running it for 12-14 hours of continuous use with no hesitation. It literally only take a couple minutes to setup - it takes me longer to run an extension cord, plug in a light and put out all my necessary supplies! Also an important note, Jim at Unique is easy to work with excellent support with any questions you may have plus if you're just getting started, they sell supplies and just about everything you need. Best of luck!

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What could I get for $1000.00 or less? And YES mobility is key! Gotta start somewhere! and yes i'm sure down the road I will add additional equipment including more Lathes.. how many of you builders have multiple lathes?! right!
As a cuemaker I definitely have multiple lathes. But to start off with repairs if $1000 is the top $$ you can spend here is a suggestion:
http://www.cuesmith.com/index.php?menu1=menu_lathes&page=cue_lathe_micro_2
It is a foot shorter than the Mid Size when extension is removed, so it is pretty portable. I can build a variable speed version of it for $1300 that has the joint work and wrapping capability. Of the Micro lathes that is my favorite set up. I built a few of these custom set ups the last year or so and have considered doing away with the Micro 3 as it is only 8 inches longer and is a much easier to use set up.

My favorite for doing tournaments and such is the Mid Size, but it is about one and a half times your budget. But at 4 feet long it is easy enough to take places, but is not somethign you would want to haul around all the time.
http://www.cuesmith.com/index.php?menu1=menu_lathes&page=cue_lathe_mid_size

You can do so much more with it in the future than you can with the Micro unit. If the extra foot of length is not a problem you might even want to consider a lease purchase option for the difference in $$. There are a few companies that will do that type of financing. Going in debt is not something that I suggest doing, but if you can swing the extra few hundred $$ now, you will be happy you did.

Last edited:

PickPocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pickpocket, although I too have Chris's Deluxe, I've had much, much success with Unique's Cue Companion doing exactly what you are looking to do: tips, cleanings, reductions, retapers and wraps. So much so that I currently have 3 Cue Companions: 1 fixed in the shop, 1 to travel with and 1 fixed at my proshop at a local hall. If necessary, I remove one and take two to a tournament. It folds up, doesn't weigh much and allows you to effectively, efficiently, professionally and MOST important profit from, doing exactly those operations. I use my first companion almost daily, with the same motor and the same fuse for nearly 10 years, it is truly a workhorse. At busy tournaments, I'll be running it for 12-14 hours of continuous use with no hesitation. It literally only take a couple minutes to setup - it takes me longer to run an extension cord, plug in a light and put out all my necessary supplies! Also an important note, Jim at Unique is easy to work with excellent support with any questions you may have plus if you're just getting started, they sell supplies and just about everything you need. Best of luck!

Sounds exactly like what I'm looking at.. I've seen great reviews for Chris Hightower's products, and sounds like Unique works for what I'm looking at. Thanks for the info!

PickPocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a cuemaker I definitely have multiple lathes. But to start off with repairs if $1000 is the top $$ you can spend here is a suggestion:
http://www.cuesmith.com/index.php?menu1=menu_lathes&page=cue_lathe_micro_2
It is a foot shorter than the Mid Size when extension is removed, so it is pretty portable. I can build a variable speed version of it for $1300 that has the joint work and wrapping capability. Of the Micro lathes that is my favorite set up. I built a few of these custom set ups the last year or so and have considered doing away with the Micro 3 as it is only 8 inches longer and is a much easier to use set up.

My favorite for doing tournaments and such is the Mid Size, but it is about one and a half times your budget. But at 4 feet long it is easy enough to take places, but is not somethign you would want to haul around all the time.
http://www.cuesmith.com/index.php?menu1=menu_lathes&page=cue_lathe_mid_size

You can do so much more with it in the future than you can with the Micro unit. If the extra foot of length is not a problem you might even want to consider a lease purchase option for the difference in $$. There are a few companies that will do that type of financing. Going in debt is not something that I suggest doing, but if you can swing the extra few hundred $$ now, you will be happy you did.

Yeah kinda like buying a cue, start with what you can, stretch a little if its worth it! :D

PickPocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Too All!

Just wanted to take a moment to say "Thanks!" to everyone who is providing info, to help me pick the best Lathe for what I wanna do! You guys rock, and I'm very happy with all the feedback! :thumbup: