Tidbits from the World 14.1

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Ralph Eckert ran 100 and out.

Mika Immonen ran 100 and out.

Darren Appleton ran 98 and out.

Amsterdam Billiards' own Mike Yednak beat Earl Strickland.

That's all for now.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
In his first ever competitive 14.1 match, Shane Van Boening ran 100 and out!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Deuel has just run 92 on Strickland and leads the race to 100 by a score of 92-0.

Update: Deuel wins the match easily.

Last edited:

Jpowell7575

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the updates. Amazing what SVB did. I've always wanted to watch him play 14.1. He doesn't miss.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I remember back in the "good old days" that there might be a whole day when no one ran 100 in matches to 150. I wonder what's changed.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I remember back in the "good old days" that there might be a whole day when no one ran 100 in matches to 150. I wonder what's changed.

The two PPPA 14.1 events in Asbury Park had plenty of 100 ball runs. Then again, the 1978 PPPA World 14.1 Championships barely had a 100 ball run in the whole event. Of course, in 1979, Margo went 100+ crazy, so it ran in cycles.

I think that it's a combination of better equipment and better ball pocketing today than in the past. Slower conditions with a worse set of balls and rails that were less reliable were part of the story, but there is no doubt in my mind that for every great ball pocketer back in the day, there are three of them now. Notably, in the old days, there were far more missed break shots than today.

Last edited:

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I was going to come on here and ask about shane but you guys beat me to the punch. Impressive performance in his first match. There have been seemingly a lot of 100s but to contrast this Schmidt match on the stream now has had many innings as did the Hohmann Robles match preceding it.

The two PPPA 14.1 events in Asbury Park had plenty of 100 ball runs. Then again, the 1978 PPPA World 14.1 Championships barely had a 100 ball run in the whole event. Of course, in 1979, Margo went 100+ crazy, so it ran in cycles.

I think that it's a combination of better equipment and better ball pocketing today than in the past. Slower conditions with a worse set of balls and rails that were less reliable were part of the story, but there is no doubt in my mind that for every great ball pocketer back in the day, there are three of them now. Notably, in the old days, there were far more missed break shots than today.

These tournaments also have more talented, international players, competing. Yesteryear, they were primarily just American players.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
These tournaments also have more talented, international players, competing. Yesteryear, they were primarily just American players.

Point well taken, but the fields in the late 1970's were probably the strongest ever, including the likes of Martin, Hopkins, Mizerak, DiLiberto, Crane, Balsis, Rempe, Sigel, Varner, Butera, and West. That's eleven future BCA Hall of Famers and there were plenty of other great players in those fields such as Dick Lane and Larry Lisciotti. Those fields lacked a multinational composition, but they were awfully strong.

Last edited:

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SVB 100 and out in first match

Shane just said he ran 100 and out in his first match, then won his second match.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Tuesday's day session is off and running.

Wang Can beats Dan Barouty and Dennis Hatch beats Jayson Shaw in the day's first session.

Immonen runs 87 and out.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Jayson Shaw needed just two innings to beat Johnny Archer 100-43. I believe he ran 60 and then 40.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

faster cloth, balls open up nicer, and when you just graze the stack the couple balls that do roll lose might roll 8" instead of 4". That's a big difference, i bet if we took a ramp and measured how far balls roll on 860 now Vs Stevens Cloth from 30 years ago the ball would roll 50% longer, 30% on the low. With that alone, the stack opening up now is superior to what it did 30-40-50 years ago. Thats how I see it, I spoke to Sigel about this and he sees it the same.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
faster cloth, balls open up nicer, and when you just graze the stack the couple balls that do roll lose might roll 8" instead of 4". That's a big difference, i bet if we took a ramp and measured how far balls roll on 860 now Vs Stevens Cloth from 30 years ago the ball would roll 50% longer, 30% on the low. With that alone, the stack opening up now is superior to what it did 30-40-50 years ago. Thats how I see it, I spoke to Sigel about this and he sees it the same.

I played on the old slow cloth with the composition balls back in the '60s and you had to crush the break shot to get the balls to open. I saw some of the great players of that era hit the rack so hard it appeared as if the whole rack raised up a bit.
But we did not know any better.
I can tell you this that I can draw the cue ball on modern cloth 6 feet with just a flick of the wrist after learning how to draw the ball on the old cloth.
Also you had to know how to force follow just to get the cue ball to move on that cloth.