CTE Pro One makes no sense to me...

tashworth19191

Pool will make you humble
Silver Member
I bought the Pro One video and must say I still don't understand what CTE is??

Basically, I need a CTE for dummies.... I practice and the ball gets no where near the pocket. So for instance if I use a 15 degree perception. I imaging a line from center of CB to edge of object ball, then I imagine a line from edge of CB to point C on object ball. Then the video goes into pivots and stuff, but it does not explain it very well at all.

I have watched this video 4 times and it makes no sense to me. Maybe I am over analyzing this.

Any help understanding CTE basics step by step would be appreciated..

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

then I imagine a line from edge of CB to point C on object ball. ..

I'm no expert, but you need to hit this line ass you get into the shot, set your bridge ON this line, and then pivot to center I believe.

Just imagining this line does no good.

HTH

tashworth19191

Silver Member
I'm no expert, but you need to hit this line ass you get into the shot, set your bridge ON this line, and then pivot to center I believe.

Just imagining this line does no good.

HTH

Yeah, I am trying all the systems and so far all of the video's provide nothing helpful in improving my game.

Maybe me... I have been playing for over 40 years and looking to get to improve my game to the next level. I am willing to try them all and throw out the ones that don't work. It maybe the "you can't teach and old dog new tricks syndrome". I am going to try the Dr. Dave BU program, looks like that has some good skill development practice that can help with speed and english. I especially like his rating system.

Last edited:

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In simple terms, you need to get your body in a position so you can perceive both lines at the same time. That pretty much puts you in the proper position. Then you use the sweep/pivot to address the cue ball. ProOne you do it all in one motion as you lay your bridge hand down with the other you use a half tip pivot after you place your bridge.

If you can't perceive the lines (object ball edge to cue ball center and cue ball edge to A,B,C) then you are not in the correct position to start.

I would also recommend that as you try learning this: get those lines, put yourself in position to shoot and never look at the object ball again. I personally noticed that I had a tendency to try to correct the shot because it didn't seem right which caused me to miss. Once you "trust" the system you can then start looking at the object ball to get a feel for the sights as you stroke.

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I am trying all the systems and so far all of the video's provide nothing helpful in improving my game. I tried Perfect Aim, CTE Pro One, TOI (CJ Wiley), HAPS (Dr. Dave) and 90/90... All of them do nothing but confuse me. I play very good using intuition, but was wondering if any of these provide extra tools for my arsenal, but my conclusion is all aiming systems is "Snake Oil" and none of them work very well.

Maybe me... I have been playing for over 40 years and looking to get to improve my game to the next level. I am willing to try them all and throw out the ones that don't work. It maybe the "you can't teach and old dog new tricks syndrome". I am going to try the Dr. Dave BU program, looks like that has some good skill development practice that can help with speed and english. I especially like his rating system.

I can list some of the problems I had when I started using cte and how I dealt with them:

1. I was drawing imaginary lines from CTE and Edge to A in my mind, instead of physically lining them up. At first, it might help if you lower your head behind the cue ball, (kinda like you're ducking behind the cue ball), and move your head from side to side until you actually line up the lines. It kinda feels like you're trying to look around the cue ball like you're looking around the corner of a building, until you can just see point A, B, or C. It's not fun on your back, and you will learn to see the visuals while standing, but it's an easier place to start.

2. Try using the manual pivot, until you get the visual sweep down. I know the masking tape drill REALLY helped me get the visual sweep down. The visual sweep is something you have to learn through practice to understand how much you have to pivot. The visual sweep is something your body will have to learn.

3. Centre ball is easiest to find by focusing on the lowest point of the cueball.

Good Luck!

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I am trying all the systems and so far all of the video's provide nothing helpful in improving my game. I tried Perfect Aim, CTE Pro One, TOI (CJ Wiley), HAPS (Dr. Dave) and 90/90... All of them do nothing but confuse me. I play very good using intuition, but was wondering if any of these provide extra tools for my arsenal, but my conclusion is all aiming systems is "Snake Oil" and none of them work very well.

I think instinctive play is the best and most natural way to play, for those who can do it at a level they enjoy. I also think all of the systems have merit, and some are easier to some individuals than others.

If you decide to unload the Pro One DVDs let me know,,,,,,,,,,

tashworth19191

Silver Member
Thanks for all the great replys (and PM's). I will keep experimenting different systems in practice and hopefully the light will come on and I can understand the principals. Thanks again for the great advice.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member

How about that great Pool School in Dallas?

randyg

Se7en6ix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Basically, I need a CTE for dummies.... I practice and the ball gets no where near the pocket. So for instance if I use a 15 degree perception. I imaging a line from center of CB to edge of object ball, then I imagine a line from edge of CB to point C on object ball. Then the video goes into pivots and stuff, but it does not explain it very well at all.

I have watched this video 4 times and it makes no sense to me. Maybe I am over analyzing this.

Watch the DVD over and over again....

be patient, its excruciating at first... but hell!.. if they can do it why can't you right?

Start with short distance shots wherein you can see both CTE and AIM Line easily..
and use manual pivot.

one more thing..

Once you've established the Aim Line and CTE line... (use striped balls 10 -15)
1) Don't move,
2) Stay still, look back at the cue ball, ignore the object ball. (imagine its not there....)
3) once your focus is on the cue ball, virtually cut that in half vertically...
4) now you have a reference for manual pivot/sweep.

Last edited:

KenK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2. Try using the manual pivot, until you get the visual sweep down. I know the masking tape drill REALLY helped me get the visual sweep down.

Could somebody please explain what the masking tape drill is? Thank.

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2. Try using the manual pivot, until you get the visual sweep down. I know the masking tape drill REALLY helped me get the visual sweep down.

Could somebody please explain what the masking tape drill is? Thank.

You lay a piece of masking table straight on the table, and put a cue ball at the end of it exactly in the middle. Line up on the other end of the line facing directly at the cue ball, and bring your tip down to the center of the cue ball while making sure the bottom point of the "V" of your bridge lands on the edge of either side of the masking tape.

So for a right visual sweep, your cue will point at the center of the cue ball, and your "V" will be touching the right edge of the piece of tape with the point directly over the line created by the dividing line between tape and table.

For a left visual sweep, your "V" point will be on the left "line" of the masking tape.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
To fix this use more or less of the "inside cuing" and calibrate it to the angle

To get the idea of pivot aiming, just set up a shot with an angle to the left. Then cue the ball a half tip to the left - move your back hand away from you body slightly, which will pivot the tip to the center - now just accelerate and see what happens.

If it over-cuts you moved your right hand to far, if it undercuts you didn't move it far enough. To fix this use more or less of the "inside cuing" and calibrate it to the particular angle you're potting.

I can't speak for the CTE PRO I, that's Stan's area of expertise, I described how I do pivotal aiming for banks, safeties and occasionally to pocket balls.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
From all the posts that you wrote- i m a bit afraid now:
you do not really want to say here now, that you don t know what backhand english is and how it s used?