Soaking Kamui black tips

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Has anyone heard/tried soaking a Kamui Black tip in a solution that prevented them from hardening? A customer told me his old cueguy always soaked them for about 5 minutes in a solution to prevent hardening, and according to the customer, it worked. He has no idea what the solution was. Any input?
Dave

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well,I haven't. Given the cost of Kamui's, I'm not inclined to screw up a few just to test.
:)
Gary

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
well, my customer swears that he saw it, and questioned it....unfortunately that repair guy is not well and unable to be asked about it. I personally think there is nothing to the story, BUT...sometimes the older guys have a bit of know how that we haven't learned yet.
Dave

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Know the difference between kamui soft and kamui hard?...a month.

I would love to get that month. The last SS I put on my Lucasi got so hard after a week of play (2 nights plus practice time), I could not cut it off by hand with a Lenox titanium blade. And it’s not just Kamui; many other mfgs tips do the same. Even the Zan on that cue now is playing much harder than a soft tip should. Maybe I’m expecting too much from a soft tip!!!

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would love to get that month. The last SS I put on my Lucasi got so hard after a week of play (2 nights plus practice time), I could not cut it off by hand with a Lenox titanium blade. And it’s not just Kamui; many other mfgs tips do the same. Even the Zan on that cue now is playing much harder than a soft tip should. Maybe I’m expecting too much from a soft tip!!!

Try Ultra Skin softs.

They are WAY better than that Kamui crap and cost about 1/10 of the price.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bagpipe players use Neatsfoot oil to keep the bag supple, if it is leather. I have always had the intention of trying some on a tip, but never have. Not that I recommend that for a laminated tip. But there may be a diluted what ever that can be used.
I'm no chemist either. So what ever you use, has to not interfere with the bonding agent between the tip layers.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
My customer swears that the guy soaked it in a clear solution, not anything looking like milk. I personally think he is confused about it. The blacks are moisture resistant, so how would a solution penetrate them without disturbing the glue bond?
Dave

bstroud

Deceased
I have used Neatsfoot oil in the past.
Helps some.
Have also used Lexol.

I think any quality leather softening product would help.

Bill S.