Break cue as primary playing cue?

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When looking to sell a player who wants to get into pool or maybe has been in a few years and wants to upgrade to a better cue,
but wants to stay in the $ 250.00 range, I will also show them some Jacoby Feather Weight Break Cues.

They are usually from 18.1 to 18.9 oz. I keep extra Jacoby standard maple shafts on hand and they can have a choice or buy both shafts.

If anyone is looking for a solid shooting cue for that dollar range, it works very well and fits a certain need with some quality.

Last edited:

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Silver Member
I think it depends on the person and situation. I have a friend who went though chemo treatment, and lost a good portion of their overall strength. they use to break with anything, but now that he is back at the table he couldn't get the same results. he tried a BK rush, and found that it really helped his break exponentially. He needed a cue that could help do the work for him.

I like having a dedicated break cue because I like to break with a white diamond tip, and play with a medium tip. I took my old dufferin and had a white diamond installed on it. Anyone who tries it, loves it. Nothing fancy at all. For me it is preference of the tip.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it depends on the person and situation. I have a friend who went though chemo treatment, and lost a good portion of their overall strength. they use to break with anything, but now that he is back at the table he couldn't get the same results. he tried a BK rush, and found that it really helped his break exponentially. He needed a cue that could help do the work for him.

I like having a dedicated break cue because I like to break with a white diamond tip, and play with a medium tip. I took my old dufferin and had a white diamond installed on it. Anyone who tries it, loves it. Nothing fancy at all. For me it is preference of the tip.

^^^^^^; hits home with me.

I cant move a cue that weighs over 18oz fast enough to make a difference and using 20+oz cues just dont feel right.

My breaker weighs 16.8oz, medium hard leather.

My player weighs 19.04 oz. My players, kike my breakers "have to be"....."balanced a certain way"... as well.

It took me a loooonnnggg time to get the combo right.

Sure i "can" break and play with "any house cue" str8 off wall and hold my own with it but, to play at my best nd be comfortable while doing it, ive got to hqve "my set up.

heater451

Registered
Mushrooming

Some do, zome don't.

I know several people that play with ext3soft tips that mushroom etc...etc when they shoot even firm shots.

If they break with them, it literally destroys their game due to them spending all thsir time "reshaping" the tip, which leads to replacing the tip more often.

Thise players are better off having a break cue.

If your tip will hold up to breaking, your correct. If it won't, well, read above.

This is essentially the only reason that I even have a break cue. I like medium or medium-hard tips, and like to hit the break shot on the hard side. It did not hurt my playing game, but as you described, the cycle of muchroom-reshape-mushroom-reshape made me chew through tips fast enough that I noticed, and did not like it.

My main break cue is an somewhat old Mali, that was an eBay special for about $35 + shipping, and I wound up changing the tip over to a White Diamond, which doesn't wear. I think I have been using it at least 10 years, with probably the first half of that 2 nights a week--1 night APA Double-Jeopardy, and APA and TAP on the 2nd night. And, I almost always played both 8 and 9, on the Double-Jeopardy nights, and posted on each team the other night (so, 2 matches 2 nights/wk, and I'm a 6 that plays 5-7's, to provide a basic idea of how many games).

Of course, I could not give a count or percentage for games I actually broke, and I would imagine full-phenolic tips *might* be better than the White Diamond, but I'm fine with it.

As for the OP's issue, I would say that using the break cue as a player mostly comes down to the type of tip (#1 material, #2 firmness, if leather), and also whether his play style is mostly center-ball. IMO, the tip firmness almost doesn't matter, when hitting center ball...unless, maybe there are a lot of extreme power shots involved, bu that goes back to the mushrooming problem.

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
This is something I've been wondering about for a time. I've decided to get myself a new cue and give the old one to a friend. So naturally, I've spent a lot of time browsing hundreds of different models. I've already settled on a particularly beautiful specimen I'll soon get my hands on. It's a regular cue, not a break cue, but since I noticed a number of well-designed and quite affordable break cues while searching, it crossed my mind to give one of those a try as well. Definitely not soon, as I'm planning to stick to the cue I'm about to get for a long time. But one day, when I'm ready for a new investment, I'll want to know the following: Can a break cue be efficiently used for every single shot? Has anyone tried it? Since I like to shoot hard at least once or twice per game outside of breaking, would I actually profit from doing so using a break cue?

God, we missed you.