Replace joint pin...Help Please!

Bob Farr

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi everyone. I have this nice Greg Kucharski cue that has a 5/16x14 piloted half SS joint.
The problem I have is the pin is too long and hole around the pin isn't deep enough. I would like the pin more standard and the hole deeper so as to accept a wider selection of shafts. Most bottom out for one of the two reasons.
I called Greg and he is retired and has no equipment any more.
Who would be best and willing to replace the pin with a shorter one and bore out the forearm in the joint sleeve a little.
Another thought is, I have two nice shafts that fit well. The one that came with the cue and one that Jeff Olney made me for it. Should I just leave it alone? I'm pretty sure it's a keeper but, you never know. If I ever decided I wanted to sell it, I feel I would have to make sure everyone understood the issues with the joint.
Any advise will be appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• GKForearm.jpg.JPG
    GKForearm.jpg.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi everyone. I have this nice Greg Kucharski cue that has a 5/16x14 piloted half SS joint.
The problem I have is the pin is too long and hole around the pin isn't deep enough. I would like the pin more standard and the hole deeper so as to accept a wider selection of shafts. Most bottom out for one of the two reasons.
I called Greg and he is retired and has no equipment any more.
Who would be best and willing to replace the pin with a shorter one and bore out the forearm in the joint sleeve a little.
Another thought is, I have two nice shafts that fit well. The one that came with the cue and one that Jeff Olney made me for it. Should I just leave it alone? I'm pretty sure it's a keeper but, you never know. If I ever decided I wanted to sell it, I feel I would have to make sure everyone understood the issues with the joint.
Any advise will be appreciated. Thank you.

Mr. Kucharski must of had his reasons for leaving it out so long. Most are 3/4" to 7/8" long. Pilots vary but most after market shafts fit comfortable in a .505 pilot by .150 deep.. Doesn't sound like your looking for a compression fit. Which ever Cue maker is closest to you, that's who I would ask first.

Bob Farr

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mr. Kucharski must of had his reasons for leaving it out so long. Most are 3/4" to 7/8" long. Pilots vary but most after market shafts fit comfortable in a .505 pilot by .150 deep.. Doesn't sound like your looking for a compression fit. Which ever Cue maker is closest to you, that's who I would ask first.
Thanks for your reply Mr. Webb. Would you consider this a complicated repair?

Greg said that my late request for the half SS collar and his use of a titanium screw which has a ridge on it that prevents it from being screwed into the butt too far was the reason the pin stuck out so much. Not Greg's fault and I'm certainly not complaining about his work, He is wonderful person/cue maker and I hope he has a great retirement.

triley41395

You'll shoot your eye out
Silver Member
Hi Bob,
I'm not a cuemaker so this is all really a buyers perspective(opinion). I personal would not change the cue and if I purchased it and wanted a different type of shaft I would have it made and keep the original shaft with the cue. That being said there's nothing wrong with changing a cue(again opinion)to what you want. If you do have it worked on I would not have the pin changed, just shortened by a good cue maker , I say good because if not done properly it could be bent or worse. The pilot hole could also be opened up at the same time. A shortened pin and larger pilot are not major changes to the cue so probably wont effect the value much and may actually increase it for the person who wants to use his favorite Schon or other 5/16 shaft. As a longtime toolmaker/machinist ,what ever they call us these days, I have been very impressed with some of the work I've seen on here. There are some cuemakers on here that are very capable of this work. If you do decide to have the work done a little research will find the right person.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for your reply Mr. Webb. Would you consider this a complicated repair?

Greg said that my late request for the half SS collar and his use of a titanium screw which has a ridge on it that prevents it from being screwed into the butt too far was the reason the pin stuck out so much. Not Greg's fault and I'm certainly not complaining about his work, He is wonderful person/cue maker and I hope he has a great retirement.

Greg is a good guy in my eyes. I've known him for years. From what you described, it is not a complicated repair for someone use to working with stainless joints. Pretty standard.

Bob Farr

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Greg is a good guy in my eyes. I've known him for years. From what you described, it is not a complicated repair for someone use to working with stainless joints. Pretty standard.
Thanks Mike. He thinks a lot of you as well. When I asked him who I should ask to fix it, he said without hesitation, "Mike Webb". Thanks for your input. I think I will just keep it the way it is. Is it possible to cut 1/2" off of the existing pin? Or is that ill advised?

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
I personally would leave the butt and pin the way it is and just adjust any future shafts to fit the existing pin.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Mike. He thinks a lot of you as well. When I asked him who I should ask to fix it, he said without hesitation, "Mike Webb". Thanks for your input. I think I will just keep it the way it is. Is it possible to cut 1/2" off of the existing pin? Or is that ill advised?

All the options are yours. Yes the screw can be shortened and repointed as long as the screw spins perfect when the collet is holding the joint.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Modfifying the shafts would be easiest solution. Just a few minute job for any quality repairman. My advice is develop a working relationship with a quality cue repairman so you can get anything you need taken care of. Just like your barber knows you and how to cut your hair. All pool players should have a regular cue repairman.