I need some ping...

Hey guys, I need some guidance.

I got to play with a metal jointed Scruggs for 15 mins about 20 years ago, and I have never forgotten the feel of that cue. I later bought a Scruggs Rambow SP, and while close, it just didn't have the same 'ping'. I thought a new Schon would get me close, and hit one and while solid, it isn't really what I am looking for (my dad had one from the late 80s that was much better). Also tried an OB + Classic on a radial predator butt, and while it was solid, still not quite my cup of tea.

Im looking for a custom cue that can deliver that feel, feedback and sound.

I thought I wanted something like an ebony or purpleheart plain jane or merry widow, but I just spend the last hour reading threads here, and I am more confused than ever. I know alot goes into the cue, and it is how you put the puzzle pieces together, but I don't even really know where to start.

The ideal cue would be a player, with a linen wrap, 60 inch 30/30, and asthetics be damned. Im not lookin for pretty, just feel, feedback and sound.

What combo would you guys use? I would like to keep it under about 550$ - Ill buy a classic Scruggs next year, just to scratch that itch, but want to see what modern cue makers can do now.

Thanks!

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
Bob Frey, he's your guy but you're going to have to pony up a little more than $550.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys, I need some guidance.

I got to play with a metal jointed Scruggs for 15 mins about 20 years ago, and I have never forgotten the feel of that cue. I later bought a Scruggs Rambow SP, and while close, it just didn't have the same 'ping'. I thought a new Schon would get me close, and hit one and while solid, it isn't really what I am looking for (my dad had one from the late 80s that was much better). Also tried an OB + Classic on a radial predator butt, and while it was solid, still not quite my cup of tea.

Im looking for a custom cue that can deliver that feel, feedback and sound.

I thought I wanted something like an ebony or purpleheart plain jane or merry widow, but I just spend the last hour reading threads here, and I am more confused than ever. I know alot goes into the cue, and it is how you put the puzzle pieces together, but I don't even really know where to start.

The ideal cue would be a player, with a linen wrap, 60 inch 30/30, and asthetics be damned. Im not lookin for pretty, just feel, feedback and sound.

What combo would you guys use? I would like to keep it under about 550$ - Ill buy a classic Scruggs next year, just to scratch that itch, but want to see what modern cue makers can do now.

Thanks!

Timmy was a modern cuemaker.

As to your question - there are several cuemakers who make solid hitting cues with
metal joints, and several who don't, - however, hit is extremely subjective.
There is no guarantee going in that you will get what you perceive to be the same
feedback you got with the Scruggs.

A plain Maple cue would likely be closest to what you want for what you want to pay.

Second option: a sneaky with a metal joint - make sure it is piloted.

If you want it to ping, and God only knows why anybody would, try an LBM ferrule and a hard tip - like a Water Buffalo single layer.

IMHO - not many of us make that basic a cue anymore, so you might have to do a
bit of searching.

Dale

Timmy was a modern cuemaker.

No offense intended!

If you want it to ping, and God only knows why anybody would, try an LBM ferrule and a hard tip - like a Water Buffalo single layer.

Please play devils advocate? I'm not looking for a ball-peen hammer here, but I think I have some room for improvement with speed control vs the slush-box cues I have been playing.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No offense intended!

Please play devils advocate? I'm not looking for a ball-peen hammer here, but I think I have some room for improvement with speed control vs the slush-box cues I have been playing.

I play pool with a piloted SS joint - much the same as Tim's design. I don't pay any
attention to the sound, but I do understand that many good players want that type of feedback.

Bob Frey would be a good place to start - A sneaky, or plain, Plain Jane with a piloted SS joint might be close to your price range.

Don't give up on Schon - an OLD one, say pre 1990s might be right up your alley.
They made tons of Maple Plain Janes - retailed for about $400 - 500. There should
be some that could be bought very reasonably. You can try the Wanted section here.
And there is always good old eBay.

Dale

Last edited:

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
I play pool with a piloted SS joint - much the same as Tim's design. I don't pay any
attention to the sound, but I do understand that many god players want that type of feedback.

Bob Frey would be a good place to start - A sneaky, or plain, Plain Jane with a piloted SS joint might be close to your price range.

Don't give up on Schon - an OLD one, say pre 1990s might be right up your alley.
They made tons of Maple Plain Janes - retailed for about $400 - 500. There should
be some that could be bought very reasonably. You can try the Wanted section here.
And there is always good old eBay.

Dale

Ditto on the older Schons...I've got a '93 Schon whose hit is absolutely magic. I took it out on a date the other night and began to wonder why I ever put it away...the old R series Schons were all beasts, too. I've tried tons of ST, SL and STL Schons (late '80s early '90s) and they all hit exactly the same...jam up! My personal favorite hit is the flat nosed pin from '93, and I'm not alone; lots of fans of that cue. There's a ton of them around (they are very durable) at reasonable prices. Some R series can run you a bit more, but there are deals out there. :smile:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Purpleheart sneaky pete with capped melamine ferrule has a lot of ping if done right.

JBCustomCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Despite the snark, ill bite. I Will buy a Scruggs again someday, likely next year, but the one I want will cost 3-4x my current budget.

Not trying to be snarky. But if it were me and I knew what I liked I would not try to imitate and find something close that Im not going to be satisfied with as you have done. You obviously know what you like and how you want it to feel and sound. So instead of buying cues and hoping for the perfect feel and sound just save up and get the dream cue from the maker that makes the perfect cue for you.

Not trying to be snarky. But if it were me and I knew what I liked I would not try to imitate and find something close that Im not going to be satisfied with as you have done. You obviously know what you like and how you want it to feel and sound. So instead of buying cues and hoping for the perfect feel and sound just save up and get the dream cue from the maker that makes the perfect cue for you.

Fair enough. Even if inwanted to explode the budget by 3x though, it diesnt solve the length problem. 60 inch scruggs are hard to find.

Dont worry, though, Paul Dayton is on the case. Ill update in September with how it turned out.

Albatross Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aloha

Just wondering if you have tried any different tip combinations on your current cue. It may give you the feedback you are looking for, and be a hellava lot cheaper then an new cue. Good luck.

Aloha

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Keith Josey makes great-hitting fancy sneakies that would fall within your budget. Customer service and communication are top-notch as well, so you really can't go wrong there.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I would buy a Jensen cue with a 5/16-14 piloted stainless steel joint.
The cue will cost a little more than $500, but much less than a Gus Szamboti, which
is what you are asking for.

I happen to have one for about $800

Peace
Ted

seahorse1877

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try taking the bumper out of your cue, gives more feedback. My personal player is a Brazilian Rosewood Titlist that is bumperless. Full ivory joint, piloted 5/16-14 with an ivory ferrule and supersoft tip and has that ping you are looking for.