One Pocket shot question

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing a friend one pocket this past Friday and a situation came up. Neither one of us knew the rule for the situation and thought I would ask here.

My friend made a shot and left the ball deep in his pocket. It was sitting deep on the shelf. I decide to shoot the same ball into his pocket my first time back to the table.

I hit the cue ball slowly to leave the cue ball deep in the pocket to limit shots. The cue ball gets about half way to the object ball and the object ball drops into his pocket. The cue ball catches the outside corner of the pocket and is resting on the rail.

I pull a ball from my pocket and call it a foul, no hit on a ball. Was this the right ruling?

TRWpool

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't think so. I've been playing One Pocket for over fifty years. Professionally for much of that time and the rule we always went by was if the shot could be recreated easily than that is what you do. Replace the cue ball as near to where it was and hang the object ball back in the pocket ans shoot again. If several balls had been disturbed than a different rule would have to be applied.

Of course friends can decide for themselves which of these obscure rules they wish to play by.

Tom

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had very similar thing happen to me in a match, it did involve two balls but the shot was effected by a hung ball dropping. we didn't know what the call should be when it happened. Afterwards, checking with other people it was felt that the correct ruling would be to replace the dropped ball and re-shoot. Falls under the settled ball rule.

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for that info, much appreciated. This was the first time this situation came up.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The general rule for any game, not just one pocket, is if a ball sits for longer than 5 seconds before falling in, it's replaced to its original position. That would mean the shot goes over.

pj
chgo

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No question the ball sat for longer than 5 seconds. I walked around the table looking at position and shots before getting down over the cue ball and taking the shot.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
.........The cue ball gets about half way to the object ball and the object ball drops into his pocket. The cue ball catches the outside corner of the pocket and is resting on the rail.

I pull a ball from my pocket and call it a foul, no hit on a ball. Was this the right ruling?

I put in bold something that may be crucial here. If the OB was sitting deep in the pocket, and the CB ended up on the rail, would you have hit the OB if it hadn't fallen on it's own?

If not, it seems like the OB should go back to where it was and the CB stays where it stopped, and it would be a foul. If you would've actually hit the OB (had it not dropped) then you should re-create the shot.

What say everyone?

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What say everyone?

I don't think so. I've been playing One Pocket for over fifty years. Professionally for much of that time and the rule we always went by was if the shot could be recreated easily than that is what you do. Replace the cue ball as near to where it was and hang the object ball back in the pocket ans shoot again. If several balls had been disturbed than a different rule would have to be applied.

Of course friends can decide for themselves which of these obscure rules they wish to play by.

Tom

giphy.gif

I put in bold something that may be crucial here. If the OB was sitting deep in the pocket, and the CB ended up on the rail, would you have hit the OB if it hadn't fallen on it's own?

If not, it seems like the OB should go back to where it was and the CB stays where it stopped, and it would be a foul. If you would've actually hit the OB (had it not dropped) then you should re-create the shot.

What say everyone?

bill_nye_the_savage_guy_by_spectraletherex-da0pyed.jpg

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Was this the right ruling?
No. Here is the official rule from the World Standardized Rules.

1.7 Balls Settling

A ball may settle slightly after it appears to have stopped, possibly due to slight imperfections in the ball or the table. Unless this causes a ball to fall into a pocket, it is considered a normal hazard of play, and the ball will not be moved back.

If a ball falls into a pocket as the result of such settling, it is restored as closely as possible to its original position. If a settling ball falls into a pocket during or just prior to a shot, and this has an effect on the shot, the referee will restore the position and the shot will be replayed.

The shooter is not penalized for shooting while a ball is settling. See also 8.3 Ball Pocketed.

I believe this covers all the situations pretty well.

Here is the WPA website where you can find the official rules of pool: http://wpapool.com

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The WPA does not have a set of rules specifically for one pocket. For that you should visit onepocket.org: http://www.onepocket.org/official-one-pocket-rules/

From those rules:

Unless clearly contradicted below, general pocket billiards rules of play and etiquette apply to One Pocket, and complete General Rules are available from the World Pool-Billiard Association (WPA).

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
No. Here is the official rule from the World Standardized Rules.

1.7 Balls Settling

A ball may settle slightly after it appears to have stopped, possibly due to slight imperfections in the ball or the table. Unless this causes a ball to fall into a pocket, it is considered a normal hazard of play, and the ball will not be moved back.

If a ball falls into a pocket as the result of such settling, it is restored as closely as possible to its original position. If a settling ball falls into a pocket during or just prior to a shot, and this has an effect on the shot, the referee will restore the position and the shot will be replayed.

The shooter is not penalized for shooting while a ball is settling. See also 8.3 Ball Pocketed.

I believe this covers all the situations pretty well.

Here is the WPA website where you can find the official rules of pool: http://wpapool.com

Ok. So if a player slow rolls the cb toward a ball that is resting on the pocket ledge, and the ball drops on it's own accord while the cb is in motion, but the cb rolls off and doesn't even hit the pocket. The cb would remain where it stopped and the ob would be placed back on the ledge. The shot would not be replayed because the ob didn't have an effect on the shot itself. If no other ball was contacted then it's a foul. That's what I was asking about the op's shot, and this rule clarifies it.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Originally Posted by BC21:

If the OB was sitting deep in the pocket, and the CB ended up on the rail, would you have hit the OB if it hadn't fallen on it's own?

What say everyone?

Really? So if we were playing, and I fouled (no hit, scratch, bad hit, whatever....), and a hanging ball just happened to drop into the pocket during my shot, a ball that would not have been hit by the cb or any other ball during my shot, do I get a replay? Lol.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really? So if we were playing, and I fouled (no hit, scratch, bad hit, whatever....), and a hanging ball just happened to drop into the pocket during my shot, a ball that would not have been hit by the cb or any other ball during my shot, do I get a replay? Lol.

Unless I am misunderstanding the OP, that is not the situation being asked about. If you arent shooting anywhere near the hanging ball, and it falls while the cb is headed elsewhere, the cb stays and the ball respots.

The OP was shooting at the ball though, and would have pocketed the ball had it not fallen, if Im reading him correctly. This is the rule that then applies.

If a settling ball falls into a pocket during or just prior to a shot, and this has an effect on the shot, the referee will restore the position and the shot will be replayed.

I think we are saying the same thing, but maybe I missed something. :grin:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Unless I am misunderstanding the OP, that is not the situation being asked about. If you arent shooting anywhere near the hanging ball, and it falls while the cb is headed elsewhere, the cb stays and the ball respots.

The OP was shooting at the ball though, and would have pocketed the ball had it not fallen, if Im reading him correctly. This is the rule that then applies.

I think we are saying the same thing, but maybe I missed something. :grin:

We are definitely saying the same thing. But the OP said the cue ball caught the outside corner of the pocket and rested against the rail. Maybe he meant the cb rested on the facing, not the rail. I'm trying to imagine a ball sitting deep in the pocket, close to falling in, which it did, and the cb hitting the outside corner of that pocket then resting against the rail......sounds like it rolled off so bad that the cb wouldn't have even touched the ob anyway, unless there's absolutely no ledge in the pocket, like valley bar box. That's what I was asking the OP, because in that case it would be a foul.:)

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Tom

Thanks for clarifying.