Silver Member
9BE2C038-92F3-47D5-9CDE-E1692201BBEA.jpeg

Rest In Peace

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
early reports said fog, eye witness heard engine sputtering

I’m about 5 miles from the crash site. I was outside at 9am, there was some fog but not bad. Zero wind. Highly unlikely it was weather related.

Beyond tragic,

RIP Kobe

Fatboy😢

Early news reported heavy fog, might have been patchy, an eye witness said the engine was sputtering. Seems likely this will be mechanical failure. In theory helicopters are supposed to be able to have the rotors auto rotate or something, serve as a parachute basically. Doesn't seem to work too well, we go on sprees of losing a lot of people in the oil patch where copters are heavily used. A friend was on one that rose about two feet from the oil rig deck and fell back, rose about five feet and fell back again. They had to send a boat for him!

Hu

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
schumaker, roy halladay, kobe, davey Allison,thurman munson, the list goes on. they all died while enjoying retirement or the riches their skills brought them. sad. too young

zrx replica

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yup. I was at the next concert after that happened. He left the concert in fog Alpine valley. Was at the Guns & Rosa's Skid Row concert after..Big tribute...Sad

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
My wife showed me a video of the actual crash sequence that she found on Facebook (search Kobe Bryant crash video). It must have been taken by someone out for a hike in that area. It shows the copter falling straight down and exploding in a ball of fire a moment after impact.

Very tragic but avoidable. Police and news helicopters were all grounded by that same heavy fog in the area. Someone (maybe Kobe who was used to commuting by Chopper all over Los Angeles) made a decision to fly anyway. He owned or leased that same Chopper for many years. The pilot worked for him.

Last edited:

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
My wife showed me a video of the actual crash sequence that she found on Facebook (search Kobe Bryant crash video). It must have been taken by someone out for a hike in that area. It shows the copter falling straight down and exploding in a ball of fire a moment after impact.

Very tragic but avoidable. Police and news helicopters were all grounded by that same heavy fog in the area. Someone (maybe Kobe who was used to commuting by Chopper all over Los Angeles) made a decision to fly anyway. He owned or leased that same Chopper for many years. The pilot worked for him.

Any video you saw on facebook has been shown to be something other than footage of this recent crash. The most common one was actually a crash over a year ago in the middle east.

I'm going to wait for more to decide what I think the cause was. Even if it was an actual video, I'm not sure how that could separate mechanical from weather from pilot error.

Sent from the future.

Last edited:

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not for nothing Jay but if it is the same video of the aircraft spiraling to the ground and then exploding, then that is a video of a crash in Dubai that happened a year ago...

The original video was posted in Jan 2019. 4 people were killed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vENULW9GFwo

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let’s not forget Jose Wejebe the Spanish Fly. Those who fish will know who I’m talking about. He was a guide in the Key’s who had a fishing show on ESPN on Saturday mornings who died while taking off In his experimental airplane. Damn shame too, he was a great conservationists at a time when everyone was killing everything they caught.

I think John Denver died the same way. Dang.