GOld Crown 1 - feet cleanup

TrevorB

Registered
My GC1 will be set up on Sunday. I’d like to make the feet look a little better, not going for perfection, more consistency.

Any suggestions for cleanup that won’t take multi steps and days to achieve?

Thanks in advance, Trevor
f13bacea4ca58d7784188ea6723a0373.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had nice results with bar keepers friend liquid on GC feet and corner casting. They sell it at home depot.

playonepocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Find a buddy with a metal lathe. A competent operator would be able to polish them out cheaply and easily.

If you decide you want to have them done after assembly, you can jack the table up - remove the feet and put the pedestals on blocks temporarily. Would need to be releveled afterwards.

Good luck. Post pictures when it's done.

OrNlf48

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want fast and easy, how about some sandpaper followed up by spray primer and spray paint for metal. You’ll have the whole job done in a day if you spray thin coats so they dry fast. And everything is at Home Depot.

Disclaimer: the feet on my GC are in good condition so I’ve never done the above.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Do you want nicer feet? I have a GC1 in Ohio with much nicer feet that I'm about to dump for 600

TrevorB

Registered
Do you want nicer feet? I have a GC1 in Ohio with much nicer feet that I'm about to dump for 600

Thanks for the offer, just looking for good quick clean up methods. They’re all solid still, just could look better.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Honestly- they look pitted to me- if it is in fact a deeper pitting than just very low surface damage than I would think that they need to be sandblasted and either re polished via a machine polisher of high grade or
re plated - neither option is quick or cheap

If the rest of the GC is in very nice condition then I just don't see how sandpaper and paint would do justice to the rest of the table.

I do not see how paint can replace either an original chrome or brushed metal finish. Maybe I am wrong but I have never seen paint replace a chrome finish.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...snip...
I do not see how paint can replace either an original chrome or brushed metal finish. Maybe I am wrong but I have never seen paint replace a chrome finish.

How about just paint a solid color? Without trying to match anything? I think that would still be a nice improvement, but could be wrong.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get them powder coated. If you do Almost Chrome, it will match the pocket castings. Powder coating is relatively inexpensive. Mine were in bad shape and they were plated steel pot metal, so sanding an polishing was out. I went with powder coating.

Before:
48445501616_ece30f6ea6_b.jpg

After:
49188115421_98e5d4fbb8_b.jpg

TrevorB

Registered
Thanks for all the suggestions. Due to limited time, I’ll try a combo of light sanding, steel wool and aluminum polish and see if we make some progress. Like I said, not looking for like new, just to make a quick improvement.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Thanks for all the suggestions. Due to limited time, I’ll try a combo of light sanding, steel wool and aluminum polish and see if we make some progress. Like I said, not looking for like new, just to make a quick improvement.

If cost is the issue, how far from Columbus are you?

TrevorB

Registered
If cost is the issue, how far from Columbus are you?

It’s not really cost at this stage. Just time more than anything. They aren’t all that bad, just searching out good advice for clean up. Thanks again.

I’m a little over 3 hours from Columbus OH.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Depending on the age of your table, they may not be aluminum.

thebaby

Jack of all trades
Silver Member
Polished

I had all my hardware on my GC1 polished out , even the rail trim.

Attachments

• unfinished.jpg
    unfinished.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 127
  • polished.jpg
    polished.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 124

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I say don't do a damn thing to them foots until you can do it right.

Get that table put together and see if it really bugs you.

That powder coating looks super sweet...my hardware is in excellent shape, but I hate the way light reflects off my pocket castings.

I want to go a with a more grey-ish chrome. Can I do that with powder coating?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201022-195629.jpg
    Screenshot_20201022-195629.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 112