Gold Crown - how to load van when moving

TrevorB

Registered
So, I have purchased a Gold Crown I, I've paid a mechanic to dismantle, I will then collect in a van to bring home. The table is 260 miles from home.

Any tips on loading the pieces? Should i wrap the slates in furniture blankets? Do I stack them or spread out the weight? Any words of wisdom?

How long is the longest piece on a 9FT GC?

Thanks in advance, Trevor :thumbup:

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
So, I have purchased a Gold Crown I, I've paid a mechanic to dismantle, I will then collect in a van to bring home. The table is 260 miles from home.

Any tips on loading the pieces? Should i wrap the slates in furniture blankets? Do I stack them or spread out the weight? Any words of wisdom?

How long is the longest piece on a 9FT GC?

Thanks in advance, Trevor :thumbup:

I used to move Gold Crowns with a Dodge Grand Caravan. Not ideal, and certainly not meant for the weight, but it worked.

I would lay a moving blanket down first, and then lay the first slate on top of it. So long as you pull all staples from the bottom side of each slate liner, you shouldn't need to worry about covering each slate.. Just lay one on top of the next. However, if using a Grand caravan (or similar), you will want to have a small scrap of 2x4, to support the front edge of the slates.

Once the slates are loaded, I would cover them with another moving blanket, then load the long frame members. The should slide up between the front seats. GC 1's & 2's have longer frame members, so it will be a bit tighter fit, but still works. On top of the frame members, you can place the long side skirts, straight up between the front seats.

From there, you should be able to jigsaw everything else into place. I prefer to stack the skirts face-to-face, and stretchwrap everything together. I also wrap the rails together, 2x2, then all 6, and wrap them completely with a moving blanket. I also wrap the frame members together, and I generally bring a small storage tote for the castings and miscellaneous hardware. Usually, (2) 1 gallon freezer bags, and maybe a couple of sandwich bags should do it. Also of note, a complete set of balls fits perfectly in a 1 gallon freezer bag.

Good luck.

TrevorB

Registered
I used to move Gold Crowns with a Dodge Grand Caravan. Not ideal, and certainly not meant for the weight, but it worked.

I would lay a moving blanket down first, and then lay the first slate on top of it. So long as you pull all staples from the bottom side of each slate liner, you shouldn't need to worry about covering each slate.. Just lay one on top of the next. However, if using a Grand caravan (or similar), you will want to have a small scrap of 2x4, to support the front edge of the slates.

Once the slates are loaded, I would cover them with another moving blanket, then load the long frame members. The should slide up between the front seats. GC 1's & 2's have longer frame members, so it will be a bit tighter fit, but still works. On top of the frame members, you can place the long side skirts, straight up between the front seats.

From there, you should be able to jigsaw everything else into place. I prefer to stack the skirts face-to-face, and stretchwrap everything together. I also wrap the rails together, 2x2, then all 6, and wrap them completely with a moving blanket. I also wrap the frame members together, and I generally bring a small storage tote for the castings and miscellaneous hardware. Usually, (2) 1 gallon freezer bags, and maybe a couple of sandwich bags should do it. Also of note, a complete set of balls fits perfectly in a 1 gallon freezer bag.

Good luck.

Geoff, thanks for excellent detailed info. Can you better describe/depict in what way I need to support the slates with a 2x4? How many pieces, about how long, where to place etc.

Thanks in advance.
Trevor

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
Geoff, thanks for excellent detailed info. Can you better describe/depict in what way I need to support the slates with a 2x4? How many pieces, about how long, where to place etc.

Thanks in advance.
Trevor

Again, this mostly applies to a Grand Caravan, as there is a slight step in the cargo area of the van. Going from the third row of seats to the second, there is a ledge, which drops approximately 1.5-2". You'll need a 2x4 that is maybe 2'-3' long, to support the front edge of the slate. Just lay the wood down underneath the bottom slate, and you should be fine. Once you load that first piece of slate, you'll see exactly what I mean.

TrevorB

Registered
Again, this mostly applies to a Grand Caravan, as there is a slight step in the cargo area of the van. Going from the third row of seats to the second, there is a ledge, which drops approximately 1.5-2". You'll need a 2x4 that is maybe 2'-3' long, to support the front edge of the slate. Just lay the wood down underneath the bottom slate, and you should be fine. Once you load that first piece of slate, you'll see exactly what I mean.

Understood, thanks again. I'll be using a 2016 Honda Odyssey, the entire surface is level with the seats removed. Appreciate the good info!

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I moved my GCI in an older Grand Caravan, it would fit a 4' x 8' sheet of drywall in the back. I thought when moved mine that I put the timber frame down first then stacked the slate on top of that, wood side down first then second piece slate to slate and 3rd piece wood to wood. I put blankets between each layer. Then rail blinds went next and fit between the seats, then I just fit everything in like putting a puzzle together.

TrevorB

Registered
It all fit, with room to spare!

Well, its official, it fit with room to spare. It was a long tiring day, glad to have had my 20 year old son to assist, can't wait to get it set up with new cloth.

So, if anyone asks about moving a GC with a mini van, big thumbs up!! Twas a 540 mile round trip, no issues, except for my old, tired and out of shape body (round is a shape, right?). :rolleyes:

Thanks to all who chimed in with advise, this community is the BEST!

Regards, Trevor

Attachments

• D29A6028-6CC8-4F82-915B-B1EB3CDDA2C5.jpg
    D29A6028-6CC8-4F82-915B-B1EB3CDDA2C5.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 189
  • A94BEA2E-D050-42C1-A735-1E3750AD91CF.jpeg
    A94BEA2E-D050-42C1-A735-1E3750AD91CF.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 192

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Good Job, show us progress pics of it getting set back up!
You guys will be shooting in no time!

TFT

Well, its official, it fit with room to spare. It was a long tiring day, glad to have had my 20 year old son to assist, can't wait to get it set up with new cloth.

So, if anyone asks about moving a GC with a mini van, big thumbs up!! Twas a 540 mile round trip, no issues, except for my old, tired and out of shape body (round is a shape, right?). :rolleyes:

Thanks to all who chimed in with advise, this community is the BEST!

Regards, Trevor

TrevorB

Registered
Good Job, show us progress pics of it getting set back up!
You guys will be shooting in no time!

TFT

Will do Trent, I'll get Jack scheduled ASAP... see this thread question about the rails, curious to hear your thoughts.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=519179

Also, all of the two bar/bolt assy's for attaching the blinds were missing, should i just spend the cash and get these? Couple worn brackets too.

https://www.classicbilliards.net/an...-two-bolt-assembly-gold-crown-1-2-models.html

Thanks bud!

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
they switched to the floating nut plate during the GC1 production.

Why not, get it back to original! Ask Jack, he may have some of the parts? If not Ken Hash does for sure. :)

TFT

Will do Trent, I'll get Jack scheduled ASAP... see this thread question about the rails, curious to hear your thoughts.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=519179

Also, all of the two bar/bolt assy's for attaching the blinds were missing, should i just spend the cash and get these? Couple worn brackets too.

https://www.classicbilliards.net/an...-two-bolt-assembly-gold-crown-1-2-models.html

Thanks bud!

TrevorB

Registered
they switched to the floating nut plate during the GC1 production.

Why not, get it back to original! Ask Jack, he may have some of the parts? If not Ken Hash does for sure. :)

TFT

Sweet, thanks Trent, appreciate the knowledge. I’ll be sure to send folks your way for Ohio region work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrevorB

Registered
Sweet, thanks Trent, appreciate the knowledge. I’ll be sure to send folks your way for Ohio region work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you happen to have a GC1 manual, Im missing some hardware. Stretcher only has 2 bolts instead of 4, plus ball box fasteners are missing. Trying to ID parts is tough.

Thanks.

gazman100

Brunswick Gold Crowns - Qld Australia
Silver Member
This is a Gold Crown 4 which is ready to be shipped via road transport.
Cheers

Attachments

• 20201026_184511~01[1].jpg
    20201026_184511~01[1].jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 103

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Nice job!!!! Beautiful table in the perfect room, enjoy!!!! Now you just some nice new Centennials or Aramith Tournaments to go with your table. I was torn between the 2 sets so I got both, I like the Aramiths because they stay clean and mark free longer but I like the way that the Centennials look better.