One handed players

Roger Illinois

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello room owners You may be able to tell me about one handed players in your area. How many in your area, do they play with a bridge or other assistance, do they get a handicap or do they need one?
I would love any information you have about them.
Do you have more than one in your area?

Level2Billiards

1 Handed Player

We have a player with one hand. He learned pool and became a good player while having two hands but now only has one hand and plays better then you'd expect.

He doesn't use any "external" device and refuses to use the bridge unless its a shot that he would normally use the bridge on if he has to hands.

If the cue ball is close enough to the rail for him to rest the cue on the table he is going to make 90% of those shots. If the cue ball is in the middle of the table his shot accuracy goes down significantly. That said he is no pushover on the table and still plays very well.

Roger Illinois

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We have a player with one hand. He learned pool and became a good player while having two hands but now only has one hand and plays better then you'd expect.

He doesn't use any "external" device and refuses to use the bridge unless its a shot that he would normally use the bridge on if he has to hands.

If the cue ball is close enough to the rail for him to rest the cue on the table he is going to make 90% of those shots. If the cue ball is in the middle of the table his shot accuracy goes down significantly. That said he is no pushover on the table and still plays very well.

Thank you for your response, II am sure that there areother one handed players out there. I would like to hear other stories.
This is a great inspiration for other one handed players out there!

Thank you.

THE MONTREALER

THE MONTREALER
Silver Member
Thank you for your response, II am sure that there areother one handed players out there. I would like to hear other stories.
This is a great inspiration for other one handed players out there!

Thank you.

HI I remember a player back in the Seventys who played Snooker
one handed and he could clear the colours one handed

He actually played better one handed then two handed.

His name was Bobby Iseman who used to play in Montreal Quebec
Canada

RackemBilliards

Player, Room Owner
Silver Member
well, I guess technically he doesn't live here since he moved to Vegas recently, but Jesse Allred is the man and then some for this. Check out the youtube love for him :)

Roger Illinois

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HI I remember a player back in the Seventys who played Snooker
one handed and he could clear the colours one handed

He actually played better one handed then two handed.

His name was Bobby Iseman who used to play in Montreal Quebec
Canada

Thank you for the story about Bobby. I would like more stories about one handed players out there.
I know that there has to be more one-handed players. Maybe people in wheelchairs that can't reach the center of the table. I like to hear the stories of those who are able to overcome. They should an inspiration to us all.
Thank you!

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
The only person I've seen shoot one handed is a banger that thinks he's better than you if you use the bridge

Magnumsk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Forgive my intrusion into the room owner's forum as a newbie here (and not a room owner), but I relate to the topic. I have a mild case of cerebral palsy on the right side of my body.I have very limited use of my right hand. I have a hard time holding a cue with my fingers on my right hand, but I do anyway. I love the game, despite not being good at it. It takes me awhile to warm up on any given night, but I surprise others (and even myself) on occasion. I'm a very athletic person otherwise. Pool is harder for me because it requires fine motor skills to bridge the cue with my right. I've just recently got back into playing after several decades away. I'm thinking of trying a glove to see if that helps. They weren't a thing back the last time I played. As a kid, it was suggested by someone that I play using only one hand. But my my dad wouldn't allow me to. He said, "you have to learn to use both hands with everything you do." While I really appreciate that, I think he was secretly worried that I'd cut the felt on our neighbor's table.:eek:

Thanks for letting me put in my two cents. And thanks for welcoming those of us who play differently into your rooms.

Last edited:

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Forgive my intrusion into the room owner's forum as a newbie here (and not a room owner), but I relate to the topic. I have a mild case of cerebral palsy on the right side of my body.I have very limited use of my right hand. I have a hard time holding a cue with my fingers on my right hand, but I do anyway. I love the game, despite not being good at it. It takes me awhile to warm up on any given night, but I surprise others (and even myself) on occasion. I'm a very athletic person otherwise. Pool is harder for me because it requires fine motor skills to bridge the cue with my right. I've just recently got back into playing after several decades away. I'm thinking of trying a glove to see if that helps. They weren't a thing back the last time I played. As a kid, it was suggested by someone that I play using only one hand. But my my dad wouldn't allow me to. He said, "you have to learn to use both hands with everything you do." While I really appreciate that, I think he was secretly worried that I'd cut the felt on our neighbor's table.:eek:

Thanks for letting me put in my two cents. And thanks for welcoming those of us who play differently into your rooms.

Are you naturally left or right handed?

Last edited:

Magnumsk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you naturally left or right handed?
I'm very left handed. I can grip things with my right, but I have little control when I do. I either hold something very strongly or very lightly. I can hold a cue in between my fingers with my right hand, but it doesn't slide easily & control is a struggle. Shooting right handed isn't a good idea for me. I have little control, then. During shots where that is an option, I use a bridge.

I'm not complaining. It is what it is. I work at it & I love the game. So, I keep working at it.

Roger Illinois

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think that your Dad may have been concerned that by not using both hands that you could loose the use. Anyway thanks for your input.

ironsoldier71

Registered
Hello room owners You may be able to tell me about one handed players in your area. How many in your area, do they play with a bridge or other assistance, do they get a handicap or do they need one?
I would love any information you have about them.
Do you have more than one in your area?

I had one in Austin several (20)years ago. She had both hands but would refuse to use the left hand. I killed her at 9ball to her frustration. Told me how as a nobody did I beat her. My reply...if you want to beat me sweetheart put your left hand on the fing cue. Took the prize money and left.

Other than that the player that stood out to me had MS. He somehow could focus really well when he needed to. He taught me the whole game and showed me the world at that time in the late 80s. Introduced me to several legends back when they still played on the tour regularly. Buddy Hall, Jim Rempe... it was a good time.

Kind Regards,
Michael McDonald
Shooters Billiard Supply
www.shootersbilliardsupply.com
Player: Two Feather Anasazi by Viking Pool Cues (11 of 150)
Shaft: ViKore Shaft by Viking Pool Cues
Break: Predator Break 3 Pool Cue
Jump: Air 2 by Predator Pool Cues
Case: Instroke 3x5 Southwest Black Pool Cue Case
Table: Diamond Pro Am 9 ft with Aramith Tourney TV Pool Balls

Roger Illinois

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One handed player

Thanks to everyone for your memories, and
Merry Christmas

I had one in Austin several (20)years ago. She had both hands but would refuse to use the left hand. I killed her at 9ball to her frustration. Told me how as a nobody did I beat her. My reply...if you want to beat me sweetheart put your left hand on the fing cue. Took the prize money and left.

Other than that the player that stood out to me had MS. He somehow could focus really well when he needed to. He taught me the whole game and showed me the world at that time in the late 80s. Introduced me to several legends back when they still played on the tour regularly. Buddy Hall, Jim Rempe... it was a good time.

Kind Regards,
Michael McDonald
Shooters Billiard Supply
www.shootersbilliardsupply.com
Player: Two Feather Anasazi by Viking Pool Cues (11 of 150)
Shaft: ViKore Shaft by Viking Pool Cues
Break: Predator Break 3 Pool Cue
Jump: Air 2 by Predator Pool Cues
Case: Instroke 3x5 Southwest Black Pool Cue Case
Table: Diamond Pro Am 9 ft with Aramith Tourney TV Pool Balls

Jerry Rathman

Registered
I'm not a room owner but have played with a few guys that might interest you.
I've played with a couple of guys in wheelchairs. Both were good shooters. One would even hoist himself up onto the back of his chair and do jump shots. Only accommodation I recall being made for them was somebody else would have to rack the balls.
There was a guy with one arm who had made a device that I will try to describe. It was about 3" square block with a Y sticking up out of it that he would rest his cue on for shots like a bridge. The top of the Y had a wire loop that he would use to place it with his cue. I never once saw him bump a ball or drop it.
Had another guy in the same room that had a 2 wheels thing that looked like landing gear from a small R/C airplane attached to his shaft for shooting.
Shot league and had guy on the team that was missing his wrist and hand on his left arm. Had about a 3" nub below the elbow. (his nickname was Nubs) He was an amazing player. Worked at the pool room and would practice 2-3 hours a day. He actually had a couple of grooves "worn" into his nub that he would place the cue in for different shots.
I remember him showing up one year to the State tournament with a t-shirt that had a handicap sign on the back and the words "Don't hate the game, hate the cripple".

Funny thing about those guys, I think they are the only pool players I've ever shot with or against that I never heard complain or whine about bad luck or a table roll etc... :thumbup:

Roger Illinois

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1 hander

Thanks, that is a great story.
Many have obvious handicapes, and many have handicaps that are not obvious. These are stories of how we can overcome.
Thank you to all for these inspirational stories. It is my hope that they do inspire!