14.1 high runs... be honest

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member

ended with the worst outside english skid I have ever seen in my life, in fact I had never seen an a ball skid when hit with helping english till then. 351 - un edited video available - open to the public and semi public:smile:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
ended with the worst outside english skid I have ever seen in my life, in fact I had never seen an a ball skid when hit with helping english till then. 351 - un edited video available - open to the public and semi public:smile:

Yes, it was a bad skid! Great run. Maybe you could've beaten the 600 man to 600 if you'd have cleaned the balls and table multiple times throughout your run.:eek:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
17 once, but I very rarely practiced/played 14.1 since I started 8 years ago. I will have to start trying my hand at 14.1 more often, its supposed to make you better at all games or so they say.

14.1 will help anger issues........lol....not..

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
59 on a 9' Gold Crown playing against AlphaDog on here.

I've watched a decent amount of straight pool and it always amazes me how difficult it is, even for pros. Watching some World Championships, I always thought they'd run out when they got a decent chance, but even the pros sometimes can't make the break ball or get hooked after the break.

I'll bet Bob Jewett has many stories of pros doing his Straight Pool Challenge at the DCC and only getting 0, 1 or definitely not making it through the rack.

Like others, I've witnessed the best on the planet have a day where they have a hard time getting into the second rack....not often for those 1% but....it does happen.

For the rest of us, well, lol....it's a common problem.

Jeff

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
how do u know how bad it was

Yes, it was a bad skid! Great run. Maybe you could've beaten the 600 man to 600 if you'd have cleaned the balls and table multiple times throughout your run.:eek:

You never saw the skid? Thanks for the add vice from an amateur.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I'll bet Bob Jewett has many stories of pros doing his Straight Pool Challenge at the DCC and only getting 0, 1 or definitely not making it through the rack.
Well, there were lots of missed first balls by champions even with cue ball and break ball in hand. On the other hand, I think the highest average by one player for one year was over 60. Over the last few years, Dennis Orcullo could be counted on to break 200 but back when the competition started I thought no one would ever get to 200 on a Diamond under those conditions.

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
14.1 will help anger issues........lol....not..

Jeff

LOL.....

After watching JS work on his run for many hours..... I found myself believing that the break ball always goes in, and there is always an easy shot to follow.... and that a ‘bad’ run is 3-5 racks.

If only................:rolleyes:

Td

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
LOL.....

After watching JS work on his run for many hours..... I found myself believing that the break ball always goes in, and there is always an easy shot to follow.... and that a ‘bad’ run is 3-5 racks.

If only................:rolleyes:

Td
John commented that for the first 200 he just free-wheels and then he starts to pay attention.:frown: He said that saves mental energy. His runs did noticeably slow down after the first 200. Me, I free-wheel for the first five balls.:smile:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
You never saw the skid? Thanks for the add vice from an amateur.

I have the dvd, your dvd! Excellent work. Why the attitude? I was simply pointing out that the balls were probably not cleaned as often as they were on John Schmidt's record breaking run. I was saying if they had been then maybe that ball wouldn't have skid and you would've been the one setting the record. :)

And yes, I am an amateur, a very observant one.:thumbup:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
So, my high run is 37 and before reading this thread I thought that was pretty pathetic. Now I see I am in the company of many others on here.

Sad thing was, I was shooting pretty sporty that day, but got a little sloppy on my break shot position. I broke the rack up pretty nicely but missed the break ball. :frown:

I haven't played 14.1 in six or seven years now. Not many people in this area care to play it.

Maniac

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I have the dvd, your dvd! Excellent work. Why the attitude?

In my past experiences with his posts, he seems to get his panties in a wad quite easily.

I knew exactly what you meant in your post. I don't think he comprehended it correctly.

Maniac

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ran56 since this thread started one day after breakfast

i got some good roles and made a few thin cuts

My average is way below 14

of course these recent runs are on my 5 inch pockets with good cloth

with ball in hand I am no where near even money to run 14 balls and 16 is probably 20 to 1

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ran56 since this thread started one day after breakfast

i got some good roles and made a few thin cuts

My average is way below 14

of course these recent runs are on my 5 inch pockets with good cloth

with ball in hand I am no where near even money to run 14 balls and 16 is probably 20 to 1

Dean - didn't you just run a 40 something as well, or is this the same run?

14.1'er

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back in the mid 80' they had a weekly 14.1 tournament that I used to play in. I ran 36 and out in a 100 point match. I had to give up the table to two other players to start their match. Probably would have missed the next ball anyhow. That 36 sure felt good though.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
78 about 8-9 years ago.

9ft Gold Crown, not sure on pocket size. Probably 4.75; for sure not less than 4.5.

Used an old Schon cue with standard maple shaft and ferrule.

I'm getting a home table installed soon (Gold Crown baby!) and haven't played consistently in about 2 or so years. Had Tascarella make me a nice cue about 2 years ago too.

I'm setting a goal of running 100 for this year. Maybe a stretch, but I'm gonna work hard at it. Gonna set up a routine of filming my runs and hopefully catch a gear.

36 years old, hopefully got some gas in the tank.

chuckg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had 2 mid 50 runs.....one on my GC1 and one on an 8 footer at our rec center using a house cue with a Madman tip I had just installed.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm setting a goal of running 100 for this year. Maybe a stretch, but I'm gonna work hard at it. Gonna set up a routine of filming my runs and hopefully catch a gear.

Just a suggestion. Set your goal for 50 balls first. Deep down most people set 100 as their goal because their ego won't let them set it lower. Even though you've broken 50 before it might not be so easy to do it again. I think you will play with more motivation if your goal is a little closer. Think about it. Why not make your goal 627? Think about why that would be stupid and then consider 300, 200, 100. Just prove you can do 50 first! :)

You best chance is to do it when the table and balls are new, IMO.