Favorite Shaft size?

mattbowen61990

Registered
I'm just curious what is everyone's favorite shaft size? and what taper? I currently shoot with a Predator Z shaft, but I am considering shaving down my Schon shaft to a 12mm and shooting with it. the predator has a 11.75 but does not have that "bounce" that a regular 12" taper shaft has. Also, what size table does everyone play on? I play on 9 ft tables most of the time, but what I have found is that stiff predator shaft is a monster player on the 7ft bar boxes. But I don't play on those that much.

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
I'm just curious what is everyone's favorite shaft size? and what taper? I currently shoot with a Predator Z shaft, but I am considering shaving down my Schon shaft to a 12mm and shooting with it. the predator has a 11.75 but does not have that "bounce" that a regular 12" taper shaft has. Also, what size table does everyone play on? I play on 9 ft tables most of the time, but what I have found is that stiff predator shaft is a monster player on the 7ft bar boxes. But I don't play on those that much.

I can play with most any shaft diameter but I prefer a 12mm or 12.5mm.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
Shaft size and taper

12.75mm and whatever taper Bob Runde uses on his cues. My favorite playing cue I have ever used.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
12.75 mm, extended pro taper (20"). Works for me on all tables. I shoot with a Gulyassy SPTX shaft, the same shaft Earl uses. It simply rocks.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
12.75 mm, extended pro taper (20"). Works for me on all tables. I shoot with a Gulyassy SPTX shaft, the same shaft Earl uses. It simply rocks.

I don't have one, but I have shot a few with my friend's SPTX and it plays AWESOME. I actually have thought about buying one of these.

mattbowen61990

Registered
32" long? I have never seen a cue shaft that long, hard to find a case? I thought about getting a 30" shaft at one time, but never did.I just shaved down my Schon shaft to 12mm today, put it on and I love the way it shoots and moves the ball. Way better than my Z2 shaft. and way better then it was at 13 mm.

bklynjava

I use PK...UFIGUREITOUT
Silver Member
32" long? I have never seen a cue shaft that long, hard to find a case? I thought about getting a 30" shaft at one time, but never did.I just shaved down my Schon shaft to 12mm today, put it on and I love the way it shoots and moves the ball. Way better than my Z2 shaft. and way better then it was at 13 mm.

The cue is a Richard Benson with a beautifully custom hand tooled leather case that fits the 2 - 32" shafts and a standard shaft. If I remove the insert the case holds 2x4 :)

case1_337x600.jpg

case2_337x600.jpg

case3_337x600.jpg

mattbowen61990

Registered
smaller shaft size allows for more precise application of English, but you have to practice with it more.. Some people say you have to be more accurate with a smaller shaft, but I don't believe so, you just have to learn with it just like any other shaft. Being accurate with a round ball is relative to me, almost like shooting a slingshot, you don't aim it, its all instinct once you get the hang of it. So if you can learn to shoot with the smaller shaft its good, but some people loose the interest in it after they play with it for a little while and they seem to be getting worse at their game.

mattbowen61990

Registered
Pretty awesome case by the way. I always have liked those hand made cases. They look way better than the mass produced ones.

Webbs Billiards

Billiards Dealer
Silver Member
12mm dime / 14" taper.

I use English on most shots and although a smaller doesn't change the English, it does allow me better view of exactly where I'm applying it.

kaffeineman

Registered
11.75mm Pechauer P+, dime. When I went to pick out my cue and shaft I played around with tons of different sizes and tapers and just went with the one that felt the best. Thats been my mentality anyhow...

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
12mm shaft size and 14" taper....you better be dead on with your stroke or else unintentional spin gets induced........takes a strong game to play well "consistently" throughout a long match with a toothpick shaft........too much for me......I'll stick with 12.8-13mm shafts.

Last edited:

Sherman Duke

Registered
11.5mm, with a 12 inch taper. Overall cue length is 59 inches, weighing in at16.5 ounces.
The builder is Bill Stelzenmuller from Cary, Nc.

Drawback

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meucci UW shaft

I shoot my absolute best with my UW. It's 11.25 and as long as I start with center cue ball and work out either way from there, the balls just pot so easily.:)

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My old Schon shafts were about 12.2 - 12.3mm. I switched to Z2 (11.75) and used that for a few years. Now using 314-2 or OB1, 12.75 mm. I probably ideally prefer 12.5 or so, may get my larger ones taken down a bit.

I see no difference in spin application, accuracy, etc. Only a small portion of the tip hits the CB, evidenced by chalk marks. Using 1 tip of english is still 1 tip with either shaft. I think visually the smaller shafts have that "toothpick" look for people that aren't used to them and can give the perception that you have to be more accurate. Since the thinner LD shafts have less deflection, a small amount off center shouldn't make much difference anyway.

If it helps, I switched to a slightly larger shaft just to get a more solid feeling hit. The Z2 type shafts just felt like they vibrated a bit more. I did like the conical taper though, have tried a conical or parabolic taper on a 12.3 or 12.4mm shaft, and it widens out too quickly and causes your bridge to widen uncomfortably.

BTW, I have 4 older Schon shafts I'm getting ready to sell. They are from the late 80's / early 90's and in various conditions, all around 12.1 - 12.3mm. If you wanted to take them down, you could shave a little off and smooth out whatever small dings etc. might be present in them. I will be taking pics and putting them up soon, but if you are interested PM me. That way you could keep your shaft as is, get a skinnier one, and decide from there.

Scott