Anyone use an Emco Compact 5?

pongohops

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was thinking of using this for tips and ferrules. Can get one at a decent price through a friend. I looked online and the spindle bore is 16mm which should be fine for putting a shaft through. What I am wondering is the back end (joint end) hanging out the other side of the head stock. Would you need an additional bed mounted on this side with a steady rest? Is there a way to use a collet on this side going into the spindle? I’ve seen guys using these smaller mini lathes at tourneys, but didn’t pay much attention to the setup. I’ve heard the Emcos are great and this sounds like a great lathe for tips and ferrules only.

Not interested in one of the cue specific lathes being offered out there so don’t bother recommending one. This is a good price, I could work on tips, and probably some stuff for my other hobbies.

Anyone using one? How are you configured for tip/ferrule work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was thinking of using this for tips and ferrules. Can get one at a decent price through a friend. I looked online and the spindle bore is 16mm which should be fine for putting a shaft through. What I am wondering is the back end (joint end) hanging out the other side of the head stock. Would you need an additional bed mounted on this side with a steady rest? Is there a way to use a collet on this side going into the spindle? I’ve seen guys using these smaller mini lathes at tourneys, but didn’t pay much attention to the setup. I’ve heard the Emcos are great and this sounds like a great lathe for tips and ferrules only.

Not interested in one of the cue specific lathes being offered out there so don’t bother recommending one. This is a good price, I could work on tips, and probably some stuff for my other hobbies.

Anyone using one? How are you configured for tip/ferrule work?

For holding shafts the easiest is to just make a few delrin collets to fit in the back side of spindle. You have to measure your length of spindle and make a judgement call as to if the support is far enough back to keep the shaft from whipping around. If the spindle is too short then you will have to make an extended support with a pillow block bearing support. There have been a few people who have posted pics on here over the years.
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=286863&page=2

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you counting on portability?
Or will it be planted in your shop and not likely to move?

Emco has a very good reputation for lathes, but that model is pretty limited if your alluded to objective includes non-cue machinist work larger than small parts for model making and clockwork or such.

If the lathe will remain in the shop, strictly for cue work, I think you could do better. I'd want a bore big enough to do joint work on most butts.

The simplest solution, and very effective, as has already been pointed out, is Delrin or similar plastic split bushings for collets in the spindle outboard end.
But it looks like there is also enough straight section to get a small plain-back 4 jaw independent on it. You'd have to check catalogs to mix-n-match; but i'm thinking as small as 3" dia. Certainly no larger than 4". It will require machine work to bore it to fit with no-shake& install a setscrew to retain it.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/emco/page5.html

pongohops

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you counting on portability?
Or will it be planted in your shop and not likely to move?

Emco has a very good reputation for lathes, but that model is pretty limited if your alluded to objective includes non-cue machinist work larger than small parts for model making and clockwork or such.

If the lathe will remain in the shop, strictly for cue work, I think you could do better. I'd want a bore big enough to do joint work on most butts.

The simplest solution, and very effective, as has already been pointed out, is Delrin or similar plastic split bushings for collets in the spindle outboard end.
But it looks like there is also enough straight section to get a small plain-back 4 jaw independent on it. You'd have to check catalogs to mix-n-match; but i'm thinking as small as 3" dia. Certainly no larger than 4". It will require machine work to bore it to fit with no-shake& install a setscrew to retain it.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/emco/page5.html

So you think you could put another chuck in the back end as well? Is that what you’re saying?

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just barely, and it should be a 4 jaw independent for several reasons 1.)it can be dialed in. 2.) you will have to find one with a small enough hole so you can bore it to fit with barely 1/2 thousandth clearance; then drill through it side ways and tap for a #10-32 setscrew. 3.) after the mounting bore is made, it may be necessary to bore the face, inside the jaws, to open it up since it will be a small chuck to get the small hole. If that makes sense.

Point being there is a scroll in a 3jaw, so you can't go boring and drilling on most of them without a work-around. Of course as an alternate plan,most any chuck can be mounted if you make a backplate. Don't use anything big, there's not much to hang it on, but it is possible.

I've never even stood next to that model Emco, but based on the pic in my link if the bore is 16 mm, the OD might be at least 21 MM? And based on proportions, maybe the step is 5/16" or hopefully 3/8" to the useful teeth? I've hung a couple chucks on the back of my Hardinge 2nd ops with about that depth. The boring has to be precise, not sloppy. Planning is necessary in acquiring the donor chuck with features that permit boring it and tapping through the side.

smt

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Pass on the Emco............... it will just be a pain in the ass to get it to do what you want............ save your money and get a lathe made for cue work,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Kim

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
You just need a grim joint at the rear with a collet or rubber O ring to steady the shaft.
You're going to need a threading die if you want to install threaded ferrules.

EDRJR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Compact 5

I have one (sold by Sears) I use for tips. Biggest issue is replacement parts. Not a lot of new stuff available. For the back end of the shaft, I use a LSR-3 Steady Rest from PSI Woodworking. At almost 7 pounds, it stays in place by itself. I burned up the capacitor but looked for a new motor first. Only used ones on Ebay and very pricey. A local motor rebuilder put a new cap on for around $60. PM me for part number if needed. Make sure it has the original chuck key, I had to modify one to work. Feel free to PM me if you need help
Sincerly,
Ed Rannou
Cape Coral, FL

Attachments

• SAM_0468 (2).jpg
    SAM_0468 (2).jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 284
  • SAM_0471 (2).jpg
    SAM_0471 (2).jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 283

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For tips it will be fine. They are great little lathes. You can't have too many lathes anyway. Having a small one just for tips and small parts is great. Plus they can do screw cutting and you can easily set up live tooling for threading etc. All good things. Especially if you already have one, or can pick one up in good order for a great deal.
Neil