is it normal for ivory

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
to have this type of stain ?
a cue i own which has been stored in a jb rugged case for years
i am prretty sure i would have noticed it when i bought the cue several years ago
i went to look at the cue recently and noticed this somewhat rectangular very light tan discoloration
i hope you can see it in the pic
it is very obvious in real time
is this normal ?
should i be concerned playing with this cue ??
thanks for your help
stain on ivory joint.jpg

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Ivory yellows with age. I have an older Scruggs (80s) with an ivory joint that has streaks. To me this is beautiful. It does not affect play one bit.

Jon Manning

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It happens. Finishes will develop a patina, it just shows up against the white much clearer. One thing I do with all my ivory about every year is put a light coat of baby oil to keep it from drying out.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ivory has coloration issues and was probably there to maybe a lessor degree when you stored it. That would not bother me in the least. It is a natural product doing natural things.

TommyT

Obsessed
Silver Member
it happens. Finishes will develop a patina, it just shows up against the white much clearer. One thing i do with all my ivory about every year is put a light coat of baby oil to keep it from drying out.

+1 👆.......

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ivory has coloration issues and was probably there to maybe a lessor degree when you stored it. That would not bother me in the least. It is a natural product doing natural things.

Yup.

IMHO it is part of the charm of such things.