McDermott Cue I.D. and value

DawgAndy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it's not a McDemott, might be an Adams or something imported. I don't know my 1970s and older cues very well, but I can usually spot a McD and that isn't one.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a McDermott.

Often people will believe a cue is an old McDermott because it has a 3/8x10 pin.

Design looks very Adam.

Points look very Adam.

Could be Adam.

Could be Eckes, but I don't think they used that pin. The design looks a lot like their later stuff from Adam. They were US made and then eventually Adam cues before they closed.

Viking also crossed my mind, but I don't think so.

Definitely not McDermott.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i almost want to say that the joint was re-worked and the shafts were made by somebody else.

does it look like something mcdermott could have done 30 years go? maybe.

did they do this type of conversion work? i can't say.

i do know that these cues usually have just the one, normally low quality, shaft and an upside-down joint.

those collars sure don't say 80's taiwan.

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i almost want to say that the joint was re-worked and the shafts were made by somebody else.

does it look like something mcdermott could have done 30 years go? maybe.

did they do this type of conversion work? i can't say.

i do know that these cues usually have just the one, usually low quality shaft, and an upside-down joint.

those collars don't say taiwan.

I know the cues you mean. This isn't one of them.

This is simply a "better version" of one of those.

Such cues have been sold under a variety of names...just don't know about this particular one.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has those "Taiwan Orange" veneers. Worth a hundo

Surprisingly on ebay they can attract substantially more.

I wouldn't pay it...but there are "collectors" on Ebay that snag up cues like this in the $250 range.

If we can identify it as an Adam model it could draw even more money. Generally 150 for the butt and 100 for each shaft putting it at $350.

With all that said, I'll give $75 for it. ;):D

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know the cues you mean. This isn't one of them.

This is simply a "better version" of one of those.

Such cues have been sold under a variety of names...just don't know about this particular one.

makes sense that they would revamp things to play-off mcdermott's popularity at the time, but why use different white materials for the collars/joint and the buttcap?

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
makes sense that they would revamp things to play-off mcdermott's popularity at the time, but why use different white materials for the collars/joint and the buttcap?

What's "different"?

Not sure what you mean.

Such cues have been originally produced with 18 pins, 14 pins, 10 pins, piloted, flat face, brass steel, and plastic joints.

I know, it does not fit the stereotype, but they simply have been mass produced with a variety of joints.

Why? Obviously to fit varying expectations of buyers. Many people associate the 10 pin with McDermott as you say.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe a cheapo Brunswick??

It is possible it was originally branded Brunswick. I have never seen this particular one with a Brunswick name but Brunswick sold a lot of imported cues so it is possible.

They did use that same pearlized ring material and ring pattern in some cues...imports. But I have not seen this one in their archives or my catalogs.

I am doubting this one is Brunswick though.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's "different"?

Not sure what you mean.

Such cues have been originally produced with 18 pins, 14 pins, 10 pins, piloted, flat face, brass steel, and plastic joints.

I know, it does not fit the stereotype, but they simply have been mass produced with a variety of joints.

Why? Obviously to fit varying expectations of buyers. Many people associate the 10 pin with McDermott as you say.

I mean why, business-wise, does the factory stock and use two different white plastics: one for joint sleeves and collars and possibly ferrules, the other for buttcaps?

In my mind, I see imports of this time period using that same sort of murky buttcap material for all of their white plastic needs.

The other stuff seems truer to what was being used in US made cues.

It's just part of what makes the idea of a conversion semi-plausible to me.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
80's Mali.

Well, anything is possible, but I don't see the 3/8 X 10 pins in 80s Mali's. Also, I don't see the large forearm dots in those era Mali's.

Unless someone identifies it, it will continue to remain, that mystery.

All the best,
WW

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I mean why, business-wise, does the factory stock and use two different white plastics: one for joint sleeves and collars and possibly ferrules, the other for buttcaps?

In my mind, I see imports of this time period using that same sort of murky buttcap material for all of their white plastic needs.

The other stuff seems truer to what was being used in US made cues.

It's just part of what makes the idea of a conversion semi-plausible to me.

Reasonable. But we commonly see such things as mixed materials. Mcdermott used different butt cap material from their joint material. So have numerous others.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
80's Mali.

Wow! Really? I totally missed that! I gotta go check my Mali catalogs.

I don't doubt what you say at all. But this fancy? Has to be an upper end cue from Mali.

Now that you mention it, that butt sleeve design does look Mali.

If this is a Mali...with two original shafts...I want it. But I am a bargain hunter and wouldn't give enough for ut. Plus I am putting the brakes on acquiring such cues unless it's a bargain.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member

Actually, this is the easiest question so far. The reason is, the ferrules have to be glued, or epoxied in place, whereas the butt plates do not have to be. In the era of these cues it was common to use fiber, lucite, or what have you for the ferrules, because they could accept glue. On the butt plates, delrin was commonly used, but not glued into place, but rather screwed tightly with a weight bolt, either steel or aluminum. On the butt plate, the same went for Implex. Hard to glue, so often just secured with the weight bolt.

This is why you often see a ferrule a different material than the joint or butt plate. Hope this helps.

All the best,
WW

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, this is the easiest question so far. The reason is, the ferrules have to be glued, or epoxied in place, whereas the butt plates do not have to be. In the era of these cues it was common to use fiber, lucite, or what have you for the ferrules, because they could accept glue. On the butt plates, delrin was commonly used, but not glued into place, but rather screwed tightly with a weight bolt, either steel or aluminum. On the butt plate, the same went for Implex. Hard to glue, so often just secured with the weight bolt.

This is why you often see a ferrule a different material than the joint or butt plate. Hope this helps.

All the best,
WW

I agree.

Plus different materials and their qualities serve better in different functions based on their qualities other than gluing as well.

Imho- Delrin is a great butt cap material. When is the last time you saw one chipped, cracked, or split?

I have seen numerous implex butt caps virtually explode from bouncing on the bumper.

And some materials may only be available in certain dimensions at a particular time.

At any rate, we have often seen ferrules, joints, and butt caps of different materials for a variety of reasons.