how are ya'll doing in league ?

Jeff Rosen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since the original poster asked how we're doing in league here's how I'm doing in my three leagues, summer sessions:
1) Fri night APA 9 Ball 4 wins, 2 losses
2) Mon night NAPL individual 9 Ball 8 Wins, 4 losses
3) Sunday night Straight Pool league (individual) 8 wins, 5 losses
Overall all 3 leagues= 20 wins, 11 losses

stevenw00d

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since the original poster asked how we're doing in league here's how I'm doing in my three leagues, summer sessions:
1) Fri night APA 9 Ball 4 wins, 2 losses
2) Mon night NAPL individual 9 Ball 8 Wins, 4 losses
3) Sunday night Straight Pool league (individual) 8 wins, 5 losses
Overall all 3 leagues= 20 wins, 11 losses

That's a pretty good record. Congrats.

I wish I knew how I was doing. Last session I kept track of it, but forgot to this session. If I had to guess, I believe I am 1-3 in 8-ball and 2-3 in 9-ball.

stevenw00d

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tuesday night was 8-ball. I played a really good SL6 (he just dropped from a SL7). I had to give him a game, so it was a 5-4 race. All the games were really close, and I thought I played some pretty good offense, and nice defense. I simply wasn't strong enough to beat this guy on that night. I dogged a few shots I should have. Screwed up one game by missing the opening shot and letting him get his choice of balls, and was out smarted by him when we got into defensive battles. I lost 0-4, but feel the match was much closer and am actually fairly content with how I played.

A few things I learned from the match: 1.) MAKE YOUR FIRST SHOT 2.) plan an outcome for defensive shots, not just how to jam him up but how to set yourself up better 3.) think multiple shots ahead on defense, not just on offense

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played another 5 in 9 ball thursday night and won 15-5. Could have had an even higher score but I scratched on the break once and he ran the table.

Last night in double jeapordy I faced a 5 in 8 ball and I was just raised to a 6 last week. I won the first rack in 1 inning and potted the 8 in 1 inning the 2nd rack but the cue ball caromed off one of my opponents balls and scratched in the side. Never saw it coming and it took the wind out of my sails so ti speak. As a result I played a lil more conservative the rest of the match and lost 4-4 in a 5-4 race.

I played the same guy in 9 ball where we are both 5's and I won 14-6.

While at work Thursday i get a text from this girl I know asking if I am playing this weekend . I reply no and ask ...playing in what ? . She replys the jack and Jill Vegas qualifier. Now this girl is one of the toughest 5's in town and always plays in these things with her husband so I was pretty curious why she was asking me if I was playing.

Well come to find out one of her team mates on her ladies team had asked her if she knew of a good player that might be interested in being this girls partner.

So I ask who this girl is and find out I dont know her cause she is fairly new to the area. I reply that I was just raised to a 6 and asked what this girls handicap is . She replied that this girl was a 4 so we would meet the 10 handicap limit.

I thought about it for 10 minutes and replied that I would play. Figured shooting pool for a trip to Vegas with a girl I did not know was better than sitting at home so i replied yea I would play.

Let you know how we do.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I played another 5 in 9 ball thursday night and won 15-5. Could have had an even higher score but I scratched on the break once and he ran the table.

Last night in double jeapordy I faced a 5 in 8 ball and I was just raised to a 6 last week. I won the first rack in 1 inning and potted the 8 in 1 inning the 2nd rack but the cue ball caromed off one of my opponents balls and scratched in the side. Never saw it coming and it took the wind out of my sails so ti speak. As a result I played a lil more conservative the rest of the match and lost 4-4 in a 5-4 race.

I played the same guy in 9 ball where we are both 5's and I won 14-6.

While at work Thursday i get a text from this girl I know asking if I am playing this weekend . I reply no and ask ...playing in what ? . She replys the jack and Jill Vegas qualifier. Now this girl is one of the toughest 5's in town and always plays in these things with her husband so I was pretty curious why she was asking me if I was playing.

Well come to find out one of her team mates on her ladies team had asked her if she knew of a good player that might be interested in being this girls partner.

So I ask who this girl is and find out I dont know her cause she is fairly new to the area. I reply that I was just raised to a 6 and asked what this girls handicap is . She replied that this girl was a 4 so we would meet the 10 handicap limit.

I thought about it for 10 minutes and replied that I would play. Figured shooting pool for a trip to Vegas with a girl I did not know was better than sitting at home so i replied yea I would play.

Let you know how we do.

Good luck!!!

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Team won tonight, though we had 3 no shows and all 5 of us had to play in 8 and 9 ball. 3-2 in each. I personally won both matches, 8 ball I won 6-0 and in 9 ball I won 6-1. I had a 9 ball on the break, an eight ball break and run, and a rackless in 8 ball. Pretty happy with my performance over the last 4 weeks.

Titleholders starts Friday night. Hopefully I will be here Sunday night to let everyone know we got our trip to Chicago.

Jeff Rosen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very frustrating 9 ball match last night. I am a D+ in first place playing Panos, who's in first in the other division, undefeated at 9-0. I got 2 games on the wire, I needed 6, Panos needed eight. Before I knew it I was down 7-1. He's on the hill and I needed 5 in a row. I was thinking it was time to concede. Then all of the sudden I win four in a row and it's Hill/Hill. I try a very hard carom of the nine ball which just missed, bobbling he pocket. Then, unfortunately Panos ran out to win. Very frustrating when I thought I was making the comeback of the year!! (Last names whitened out in case one wanted anonymity)

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 148

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I decided to go with the 9 ball league with the higher level players for a few reasons. the place has the best conditions within driving distance aka not in NYC and the players have all been very respectful and are helpful aswell.

as for this past week, it could have been better. my son messed up my cue's tip and I didn't get it to the hall in time to get a new one so I had to play with a house stick. I didn't win one game and it sucked.

while im at it, any suggestions on a new tip? I've been playing with the stock tip that came with the r360 cuetec shaft and it hit well.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hadn’t played a league match in quite some time. In fact, out of 18 weeks, I have officially played 6 leading into this week.

I ended up playing 9-ball, 9-4 race. Yeah, their best player on paper might have ducked me, but he did leave early, so maybe he had a pressing engagement.

I resolved to have a good time no matter what, which always helps. I dogged two balls, one was a hanging 9. But for the most part, I played some inspirational 9-ball, the type that the whole bar feels they need to tell you about it. That included my opponent, who commended my play at every passing. Nice guy. He was fun to play against.

I didn’t have any break and runs, which is odd in that I made a ball on all but one break, and squat the cueball on at least half my breaks. But I only saw the one-ball twice, and both times, the rack was no Cosmo. I did have a legit Golden 9 on the last break. It was corralled in the side pocket after getting bumped out of the rack area.

I had a few of those locked-up-in-jail safeties that always get the big oohs and aahs, as well as an Efren-esque one that took a few seconds to finalize, where the whole house got to watch that final ball motion, leaving whitey buried with no lanes.

The one dogged 9-ball blew an “east shut-out,” but I’ll celebrate the wins:

Broke excellently
Position play was text book
Shot making was.. well I made just about everything I swung at
Safety play was in control

On to the next...

Freddie <~~~ bottling it

One time I was LOCKED UP in an 8-Ball Match, by a 3 speed.

Every time he shot, he would go run his gums with his TEAMIES. On the 3rd try, I hit that Object Ball & the "The TEAM" just went nuts, how did he do that...?

I tell you how I did it, I had 3 times to learn the proper angle to miss the traffic & get the 2 rails out of the corner. My opponent kept locking me up in the same place.

DWreckTheBoss

Registered
My first APA league

I have played in tournaments all my life, and subbed an entire season in a BCA league before, but never played APA, mainly because of the dues. This is my first APA season so far, we have 4 or 5 weeks left. They have me rated as a SL7 in 9 ball and SL6 in 8 ball. So far I am undefeated in 13 matches. 7-0 in 8 ball and 6-0 in 9-ball. I've been giving up a fair amount of weight each week and between good shooting and good fortune I keep coming out ahead. I have played 4 of the 6 toughest people in the league along the way. My points average is slightly over 2 in 8 Ball and slightly under 16 in 9 ball. My team as a whole is in first place by a great bit. We have not lost a week in any format.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have played in tournaments all my life, and subbed an entire season in a BCA league before, but never played APA, mainly because of the dues. This is my first APA season so far, we have 4 or 5 weeks left. They have me rated as a SL7 in 9 ball and SL6 in 8 ball. So far I am undefeated in 13 matches. 7-0 in 8 ball and 6-0 in 9-ball. I've been giving up a fair amount of weight each week and between good shooting and good fortune I keep coming out ahead. I have played 4 of the 6 toughest people in the league along the way. My points average is slightly over 2 in 8 Ball and slightly under 16 in 9 ball. My team as a whole is in first place by a great bit. We have not lost a week in any format.

Looks like 70's Buddy Hall is back in action!

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very frustrating 9 ball match last night. I am a D+ in first place playing Panos, who's in first in the other division, undefeated at 9-0. I got 2 games on the wire, I needed 6, Panos needed eight. Before I knew it I was down 7-1. He's on the hill and I needed 5 in a row. I was thinking it was time to concede. Then all of the sudden I win four in a row and it's Hill/Hill. I try a very hard carom of the nine ball which just missed, bobbling he pocket. Then, unfortunately Panos ran out to win. Very frustrating when I thought I was making the comeback of the year!! (Last names whitened out in case one wanted anonymity)

Hold up a second, you were a member here since 2013 and only at D+? What have you been doing the past 5 years? Is the forum failing you? We can have words with the manager if needed.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our local USAPL got a couple of new teams in our division. One of them plays out of a bar with ceilings at the pool tables maybe 7' tall. I'm only 5'6" and felt like I was about to hit the tiles.

The tables are not horrible for rolls, but of course have the mudball and nap cloth so forget finesse play, and most of the corner pockets are angled into the pocket. Yes, they don't go out, or even straightish like the Diamond Pro cut pockets, they actually curve in.

Look a bit like this, but I think these are from a Russian Pyramid table. Imagine those on a bar table and trying to shoot down the rail LOL

billiard-pocket-H4F27B.jpg

At least the players from that place are nice which makes up for the funny tables.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I was driving home from league tonight I was reflecting on the events that transpired last night and tonight. That reflection reminded me of why I play league.

Before I go any farther let me be clear that I don't like losing. At the same time I don't take the game so serious that its the end of the world if i lose a match and don't treat ever shot like my life depends on it.

All.of my teams have group texts so we can communicate with every one at the same time concerning whatever issues may arise concerning that team . We also use it to rag each other from time to time. Well some of the guys on my thursday team started on me yesterday morning about the team we were going to face last night. The reminded me of the beat down I suffered a few weeks ago from the 9 on the other team and one of them suggested they oughta throw our 3 against him this time in an effort to get some team points since he shut me out 20-0 last time. I told them I wanted him again and if he shut me out again I would buy a round for the whole team. One of the guys said a 17-3 loss would be about as bad as the 20-0 I got last time. I replied if its 17-3 I will still buy a round. Well I had my game face on when we started and I was only down 2 points after 4 racks. It was him 18, me 16. My captain piped up...dude you are doing good....already have 4 times the points you had the whole game last time you faced him. I replied....yea....i knew my money was safe tonight ...hell yall oughta be buying me beers after keeping it this close. then the game takes a drastic turn when he runs a 3 pack on me. I manage to score a few more points when I finally get ti the table but still lose 75-28. helluva lot better than the 75-4 beat down I got from him Las time. During the latter part of the match my bad hand started hurting causing me to drop my cue twice as I was shooting , fouling both times which cost me some points.

On to tonight . The other team dumped a 3 on me in 8 ball and of course I talked a lil smack telling them they was all scared of me. I went on to win 5-0 in a 5-2 race.

Come 9 ball I faced a 5 I usually beat but he has won a few off me when he had a darn good night going. I really dont know how the game was going but I knew I had a decent lead and then I scratched on the break. He made a good run....5-6 balls I believe and I ran the rest. Next break I scratch again and let out a ....fvck !. The lo who was on the other side of the wall peeks around the corner and asks who is it I wanna fvck. every one starts laughing. My opponent runs 8 balls and is talking smack about he is gonna wind up winning. As he was racking the lo tells me I oughta not let him get away with the smack talking he was doing. I told her I was still winning at that point. I was up 30-27 even after those 2 scratches on the break. She says yea but he is talking smack about being on a come back. I said...i suppose I could lay a smack down on him . She replies...yea that oughta shut him up. I ask...if I put this smack down on him are you gonna raise me to a 6 ? She replies.. No...of course not. I said I was kidding.....she said she was too and we both started laughing.

Well I break and make 3 with the 9 being one if them. That puts me up 34-27. I break again and run 4 balls and put the 9 in at the same time. I win 40-27 with out him getting to the table after saying i was gonna put the smack down on him. A couple of the players on the other team start ragging my opponent saying...see what happens when you start talking shit to him... He put the smack down on you....every one started laughing. Btw ....we all are pretty friendly with each other so no body is getting bent out shape during this .

Of course when it comes to playoffs or higher all this smack talk goes out the window and we are just respectful but serious .

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last night in 9 ball I faced another 5 and I won 38-30. I faced the same guy I. 8 ball where we are both 6's. I lost hill - hill. For some inexplicable reason I missed 2 easy 8's after making efren like shots on my last ball. Guess they were too was lol.

I looked up my stats for this session and am on a roll in 9 ball. 10-3 so far with 2 of those losses to the same s/l 9. The first time I faced him he put an embarrassing 75-4 loses on me. Last week he won 75-28. I got one more shot at him this session and I am really looking to pull off an upset against him.

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8 ball titleholders was fun...we ended up in 4th place...last year we got 8th...soooo, progress I suppose. Was really bummed cuz our best 5 just didn't show up on the final day, so we had to cut him...chronically late, but not showing up when you have 1 match to win to get in the money is crap. 9 ball in a few weeks, hopefully we do even better and get that trip

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I decided to play in an apa 9 ball tournament this weekend. Btw I was just raised to a 6 last week.

My first match was a disaster. I played a guy I have never seen before who is also a 6. I lost 46-5. The guy could do no wrong. Made a couple unbelievable banks...left me crap when he missed and had more good rolls than the Pillsbury doughboy. I stayed and practiced for 2 hours last night after I lost....something I never have done before.

I wound up getting a bye this morning....I heard my opponent dropped out cause he got his azz whipped last night about as good as I did.

My next match was vs another 6. I guess the practice last night paid off some what as I jumped out to a 16-4 lead. It was not enough though. He fought back and won 46-38.

Well....always next time.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I decided to play in an apa 9 ball tournament this weekend. Btw I was just raised to a 6 last week.

My first match was a disaster. I played a guy I have never seen before who is also a 6. I lost 46-5. The guy could do no wrong. Made a couple unbelievable banks...left me crap when he missed and had more good rolls than the Pillsbury doughboy. I stayed and practiced for 2 hours last night after I lost....something I never have done before.

I wound up getting a bye this morning....I heard my opponent dropped out cause he got his azz whipped last night about as good as I did.

My next match was vs another 6. I guess the practice last night paid off some what as I jumped out to a 16-4 lead. It was not enough though. He fought back and won 46-38.

I am playing in an APA captain/co-captain tournament tomorrow at 3:00. Races to three on winners/losers sides, Masters rules (shortened version) so three games of 9-ball and two games of 8-ball (winner of lag determines which game is played first).

So...I do not play 9-ball much anymore and I play in an 8-ball league, so I started practicing 9-ball here at the house for the past few days. Let me tell you...it's been ugly. How ugly? I told my wife to have supper ready at the regular time because I'll probably be home to eat with her. :eek:

Maybe I'll bear down and play better in some actual competition. I have a bad habit of practicing badly anyway. I'll update y'all tomorrow evening.

Just in case anybody would like to know, I have a 4-0 record (if you don't include the win I got on a forfeit) this session. Been playing pretty good (8-ball at least).

Maniac

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member

You were a 5 for quite a while, maybe you have a 38 ball limit?

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You were a 5 for quite a while, maybe you have a 38 ball limit?

I was thinking its quite possible what you posted.... Then I played 9 ball twice tonight due to make UPS. I won 46-36 vs another 6 and won 46-50 vs an 8 . Lost 8 ball 5-4 vs another 6 after jumping out to a 3-0 lead.