2018 AZB Ghost Challenge - Official Thread

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol. I forgot this vid. Sick racks for sure. Thanks for reminding me :cool:
I have been sick and all kind of shit. Not too much pool practice lately.
Practiced only snooker when I have been able. Trying to figure out ways to get my speed control better and snooker drills require to really good speed control.

Nowadays I have been trying to make line up maximums with 3 different colors on row. Black147, pink132 and blue117.
Almost impossible, I know. But while I try it I notice huge improvement. Especially speed control and learning optical illusions.
Probably i can make first 2 any day now but blue one is killer. You have to land right side of blue(and only slight angle to keep control) most of the time or navigate through smaller colours. That is insane difficult.

Getting back to pool soon because Finnish 14.1 champs are getting close. If this 4 week flu and fever finally ends...

Just curious...Is that your room or a hall in which you play? Snooker table in the far back, right?

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol. I forgot this vid. Sick racks for sure. Thanks for reminding me :cool:
I have been sick and all kind of shit. Not too much pool practice lately.
Practiced only snooker when I have been able. Trying to figure out ways to get my speed control better and snooker drills require to really good speed control.

Nowadays I have been trying to make line up maximums with 3 different colors on row. Black147, pink132 and blue117.
Almost impossible, I know. But while I try it I notice huge improvement. Especially speed control and learning optical illusions.
Probably i can make first 2 any day now but blue one is killer. You have to land right side of blue(and only slight angle to keep control) most of the time or navigate through smaller colours. That is insane difficult.

Getting back to pool soon because Finnish 14.1 champs are getting close. If this 4 week flu and fever finally ends...

The drill your doing is very hard. I attempt it ever so often. Not many "true" snooker tables where I live. Most snooker tables here are only 9' and have huge pockets and fast cloth.

Still, it's fun to play when I get a chance.

I almost forgot, there is a 6x12 here but I NEVER get to use it. Maybe once every year or so. Have to travel several hours each way.

Sorry to hear your sick. Feel better soon and kick some a55 on table.

Don't forget to put some vids up when you feel better.

Rake

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious...Is that your room or a hall in which you play? Snooker table in the far back, right?
I am(was) just pool hall table mechanic/house pro. I have access to pool hall any time so many times I like to go practice when place get closed(1am or 2 am). Mainly because tables are quite often full. :thumbup:
Yes 5x 9-foot Sam Billiards K steel tables and 2x 6x12 foot Rileys Snooker Tables. Every table is 25 years old and place is more Heavy Metal/Rock bar than Pool hall. So owner does not put money on repairs too often so they are quite slow(humid conditions underground also). I try keep one table decent condition. 1 Snooker Table also still plays good even I did maintenance it 2 years ago last time :D

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am(was) just pool hall table mechanic/house pro. I have access to pool hall any time so many times I like to go practice when place get closed(1am or 2 am). Mainly because tables are quite often full. :thumbup:
Yes 5x 9-foot Sam Billiards K steel tables and 2x 6x12 foot Rileys Snooker Tables. Every table is 25 years old and place is more Heavy Metal/Rock bar than Pool hall. So owner does not put money on repairs too often so they are quite slow(humid conditions underground also). I try keep one table decent condition. 1 Snooker Table also still plays good even I did maintenance it 2 years ago last time :D

Ok, thanks. I've seen a couple of your vids...crazy runs and ghost and remember thinking that it was empty or you had a big game room.

Good shootn'

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played 10-ball Pro Ghost after long break from pool.
Practiced only Snooker for awhile. Tried to get 3x maximums from line up drill on row. 147 with black,132 with pink and 117 with blue. Sick drill. BUT I learned A LOT of new stuff with my Snooker practice.
Especially on cueball speed control.
Also practiced quite a lot with leftie. 95 is best break with it so far.

It was funny match.
I lost 1-7.
I felt really good and also made couple "Efren-like" magic shots, but because my break was little off I did not have a chance. Normally if Pro-Ghost destroys you, there is nothing to see but this one I try upload later.. :D

Last edited:

DWreckTheBoss

Registered
I did get a camera for my birthday, I was having trouble setting up the camera to get a good angle, the tripod it came with was very tiny. (Like 12 inches or slightly less (30 cm)) It looked ok on the camera's little screen but on my tv it was just horrible because of the flat angle. I need to get the camera a little higher up for sure. I will try to go have a pool night this week and see if I can't get a video together that is maybe worth watching. I also want to get an angle where it shows the table longwise, with the balls close to the camera, like professional streams usually have. I wasn't able to set anything up like that the first time I got to use the camera.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did get a camera for my birthday, I was having trouble setting up the camera to get a good angle, the tripod it came with was very tiny. (Like 12 inches or slightly less (30 cm)) It looked ok on the camera's little screen but on my tv it was just horrible because of the flat angle. I need to get the camera a little higher up for sure. I will try to go have a pool night this week and see if I can't get a video together that is maybe worth watching. I also want to get an angle where it shows the table longwise, with the balls close to the camera, like professional streams usually have. I wasn't able to set anything up like that the first time I got to use the camera.

Yes higher = better
Maybe you can make some kind platform where you can get tripod higher.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Are we going to have a 2019 thread? I just moved, and I sold my 9’ Diamond. Picked up a bar table and am ready to take on the ghost! First submission is 8-ball race to 7. Hope you enjoy.

https://youtu.be/QkCAG3BNMAI

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What kind of table is that? Just a little tip you are standing up on your shots stay down until the object ball drops in the pocket.

It’s a diamond bar table. I didn’t notice I wasn’t staying down, I’ll look into that. Thanks for watching!

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What kind of table is that? Just a little tip you are standing up on your shots stay down until the object ball drops in the pocket.

I dont stand up as much or as fast as Easy does but, I do stand up a little on purpose. If I stay down like I'm supposed to... lol ... my back wouldn't last 20 minutes at the table.

Easy:

Do you have back issues? If so, just try to raise up a "little" slower. If no back issues, well, stay down and as you probably already know, you'll play stronger position, not to mention, be more accurate in the pocket.

How are you liking the smaller table?

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I dont stand up as much or as fast as Easy does but, I do stand up a little on purpose. If I stay down like I'm supposed to... lol ... my back wouldn't last 20 minutes at the table.

Easy:

Do you have back issues? If so, just try to raise up a "little" slower. If no back issues, well, stay down and as you probably already know, you'll play stronger position, not to mention, be more accurate in the pocket.

How are you liking the smaller table?

I do have some back issues, but I’m sure I could manage staying down a little while longer. I’ve always been a pretty fast player. I have a couple of kids and work a lot of hours, so when I get some table time I usually rush a little. Definitely something to work on.

I know it’s not popular, but I’ve always liked these diamond bar tables. I still consider myself a big table player, but the challenges of bar table 8-ball has always been fun for me. Also, it seems like every big tournament around here is on the bar tables, so hopefully I’ll sharpen up a little and win something.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do have some back issues, but I’m sure I could manage staying down a little while longer. I’ve always been a pretty fast player. I have a couple of kids and work a lot of hours, so when I get some table time I usually rush a little. Definitely something to work on.

I know it’s not popular, but I’ve always liked these diamond bar tables. I still consider myself a big table player, but the challenges of bar table 8-ball has always been fun for me. Also, it seems like every big tournament around here is on the bar tables, so hopefully I’ll sharpen up a little and win something.

Raising up on shots is "in general" a recipe for disaster.... but...., if you watch enough Efren, Earl, Shane, Dennis and several other TOP players, you will see that they raise up at times "exactly" like you. Obviously, none of them do it every single shot, then again, neither do you.

Back issues, low stances, constant fatigue and children all at the same time is not exactly the best situation for worrying about staying down on shots.

I would advise you to try raising your stance up a "tad"... at a time until you find a sweet spot.

I play my best when super low on cue. But, when I get that low and STAY down till OB hits target, well, my "in zone" time drastically reduces to the point to where the trade off is not worth it.

I'm a better player in a grinding session if I raise my stance up a few inches.

As you said, its something to work on.

Yep, barboxes are WAY more popular in tournament play, as well as, private play in most rooms.

Your a big table player. Remember, spending all that time on a big table will always be with you and will make you even better on the BB.

BTW, I've been thinking about getting a second table. I was thinking about another 9 footer...... a gold crown IV for 14.1 and my pro am for rotation games but, I'm starting to think I may like a Diamond BB as my second table.

See what you caused:p