Duramith balls

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Centennials are known for showing their impact marks from the cue ball colliding with the object ball. The daily evidence of how balls wear down over the years.

~ K
I think the marks are more likely caused by the impact of the object balls with the back of the pocket liners, particularly on a pocketed shot that is hit hard. The impact of object balls against each other or with the cue ball would be no larger than a pin-head.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... The impact of object balls against each other or with the cue ball would be no larger than a pin-head.

See Bob's post below:

When two balls collide you get flat spots on both balls. If you prepare the contact point properly, you can see the size of the flat spot afterwards. It is about a quarter inch for a fairly firm shot.

A little geometry will give you how much each ball compressed as well as how far forward the cue ball moved while it was in contact with the object ball. The result for each is much less than a millimeter.

You can also calculate the size of the flat spot if you know the contact time of a ball-ball collision. Wayland Marlow did that time measurement (with a fairly simple apparatus consisting of a battery, resistor and capacitor along with wires and a DC voltmeter) and described it in his book "The Physics of Pocket Billiards".

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the marks are more likely caused by the impact of the object balls with the back of the pocket liners, particularly on a pocketed shot that is hit hard. The impact of object balls against each other or with the cue ball would be no larger than a pin-head.

Definitely NOT impact marks from
pocket liners.

~ K.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish I could find the thread now...

We had a discussion a year or two ago and I pledged to put my cyclop set away and go back to the super pros for an extended period of time. I did it and I am now going back to cyclop set.

As a result of that thread, I made science and experimented with the balls to see what was causing the collision marks.

Yer mama.

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been using mine since 2014, and they still don't have any scuff marks on them. I just give them a quick polish once in a while, and that's it. :thumbup: