Mosconi Cup

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, what aiming system was the BIG WINNER?

And, what aiming system was the BIG LOSER?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
So, what aiming system was the BIG WINNER?

And, what aiming system was the BIG LOSER?

The big winner is the US team's secret aiming system.
Coach Johan taught them that system.
It's a Dutch Put It in The Hole system.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ohhh?!?!

The Secret D-PIITH System.

I wonder if a small group of fanatics will come out and argue about it for the next 20 years. Maybe this thread belongs in The Main Forum?

Say, do you think any of The Pros will start teaching it? (secretly, of course)

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Ohhh?!?!

The Secret D-PIITH System.

I wonder if a small group of fanatics will come out and argue about it for the next 20 years. Maybe this thread belongs in The Main Forum?

Say, do you think any of The Pros will start teaching it? (secretly, of course)

It's coming out on two dvd's and then a truth book.

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
The take away..........he who makes the fewest errors wins........

You can quote me on that......

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
The take away..........he who makes the fewest errors wins........

You can quote me on that......

Excellent take away. I have a "King of the Hill" tournament tomorrow. It's a tough format -- 5 players on each table, and each table is played in a "winner stays up" format until every player but one gets 5 loses. That one player then moves into the money bracket. I've played many of these tournaments without missing a ball and still didn't win my table. One time I won 18 of the 24 games played on my table, stringing together several 3 packs, and yet LOST the table due to an error here or there.

All it takes is 1 error to get knocked out of this tournament. You could win 7 or 8 games in a row playing great, then hook yourself, or scratch on some fluke roll, and lose that game and never get another opportunity. It goes like this.....You now have 1 loss. You wait for your turn to play again, then you rack and your opponent breaks and runs. 2 losses. You wait your turn again, then rack and watch as your opponent makes the 9 on the break. 3 losses. You wait again, rack, opponent breaks and runs. 4 losses. Wait. Rack. Opponent breaks, shoots the 1 and then pops a 3-9 combo. And just like that you've got 5 loses and you're out, all because of that 1 error you made after winning those first 7 or 8 games.

Last edited:

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Excellent take away. I have a "King of the Hill" tournament tomorrow. It's a tough format -- 5 players on each table, and each table is played in a "winner stays up" format until every player but one gets 5 loses. That one player then moves into the money bracket. I've played many of these tournaments without missing a ball and still didn't win my table. One time I won 18 of the 24 games played on my table, stringing together several 3 packs, and yet LOST the table due to an error here or there.

All it takes is 1 error to get knocked out of this tournament. You could win 7 or 8 games in a row playing great, then hook yourself, or scratch on some fluke roll, and lose that game and never get another opportunity. It goes like this.....You now have 1 loss. You wait for your turn to play again, then you rack and your opponent breaks and runs. 2 losses. You wait your turn again, then rack and watch as your opponent makes the 9 on the break. 3 losses. You wait again, rack, opponent breaks and runs. 4 losses. Wait. Rack. Opponent breaks, shoots the 1 and then pops a 3-9 combo. And just like that you've got 5 loses and you're out, all because of that 1 error you made after winning those first 7 or 8 games.

I'd much rather hit myself full on the thumbnail with my framing hammer.

Life in West BG, Virginia must be SOOO stimulating. Next, you'll be telling about your volunteer work at the State Penitentiary.:D

heisenbug

Registered

Wouldn't it make sense to lag for break in a race to one? At least you get a shot.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wouldn't it make sense to lag for break in a race to one? At least you get a shot.

King of the Hill format is a fast action style tournament. Each table has 4 to 6 players on it, each playing winner stays up, and the order of play is predetermined by a random drawing. You rack for the breaker. No coin toss, no lag. The winner of each table moves on to the final money table.

Basically it's an inverted race to 5. It doesn't matter how many games you win. All that matters is how many you lose. That's what makes it tough -- mistakes are costly. But it's a good format for C and B players to compete against A players without the need for handicapping, although we had mostly A players this last tournament. There were only 21 players, and all but two (in my opinion) were A players. But I've seen times when a B or C player in the last spot wins the table by winning only one game. If no one "flips" the table, which is to give every player a loss before you get a loss, then whoever is in the last spot has a great advantage to win the table. They could lose every game, 4 in a row, then win that last game and be the winner.

The cream doesn't always rise to the top in a King of the Hill tournament.