John Schmidt 626 video Nov. 21 - semi-public (tickets required) viewing

juspooln

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok I'll bite just when will the video in full uncut unedited version be available , every time I see a bump I'm thinking there is going to be a big announcement and for the 376th time I'm disappointed once again

I can't speak for John. What I did take away from that night was his frustration of what to do next. While he did set out to break the record, planning what to do after had to be the furthest thing from his mind. He really enjoyed the format I was lucky enough to see it in, and had many requests to do similar events, here, and abroad.
It took a team of people to make this happen, and that team will have to decide the next steps.

juspooln

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You just had to bump it back up didn't you :rolleyes:

Sorry, busy time of year for billiard retailers. I would have like to put this to rest last decade.

On a side note whether or not you want to refer to JS as "Mr. 600" or not, I can tell you, without doubt, He is one hell of a nice guy!!!!

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
I viewed it. If you have any specific questions. I would be glad to answer them for you.

Thanks for the offer, but I was actually just wondering why a forum with approximately 69,000, die hard, pool fan members and in all this time no one had volunteered that they had seen it and given some non-biased opinions and/or observations.

Haven't any specific questions, as I'm sure that JS accomplished something that can be considered a world record to many. To others, it will never be the considered the of breaking Mosconi's record, and I can easily understand that.

The more time that elapses without the release of an uncut/edited video the less significant it becomes. It's almost at the point of being irrelevant already.

Last edited:

juspooln

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the offer, but I was actually just wondering why a forum with approximately 69,000 members and in all this time no one had volunteered that they had seen it and given some no-biased opinions and/or observations.

Haven't any specific questions, as I'm sure that JS accomplished something that can be considered a world record to many. To others, it will never be the considered the of breaking Mosconi's record, and I can easily understand that.

The more time that elapses without the release of an uncut/edited video the less significant it becomes. It's almost at the point of being irrelevant already.

Sorry, you feel that way!

Even though I don't play as much 14.1 as I would like(New years resolution). The run happened, for some of those 69,000, it was an awesome feat. For some, it might have been the first time they have seen a relevant 14.1 thread on the main page. For some, it gives them a chance to add to the negativity that has made this forum what it is today.
I can understand why John and others don't have "pleasing the AZ community" included in their decision making.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Originally Posted by jimmyg View Post
Thanks for the offer, but I was actually just wondering why a forum with approximately 69,000 members and in all this time no one had volunteered that they had seen it and given some no-biased opinions and/or observations.

Sorry, you feel that way!

Even though I don't play as much 14.1 as I would like(New years resolution). The run happened, for some of those 69,000, it was an awesome feat. For some, it might have been the first time they have seen a relevant 14.1 thread on the main page. For some, it gives them a chance to add to the negativity that has made this forum what it is today.
I can understand why John and others don't have "pleasing the AZ community" included in their decision making.

I don't believe that my post was about my "personal" feelings on the issue, just some general observations and questions.

Ignoring the Az community, perhaps the largest pool of potential fans and customers, is likely another, in a long series, of amateur marketing missteps that could have been easily avoided. I'd also venture a guess that JS still has tons more fans here on AZ than he does detractors, something he should have realized.

In sports, professionals who perform great feats usually want them witnessed and acknowledged by the largest possible number of fans/followers as quickly as possible, preferably live. They realize that the fans are who make them stars and realize that the money usually follows public acclaim, that's the process. Hiding the event from the public, demanding that the fans pay in order to witness the event, especially long after the fact, and treating one's fans with disdain, doesn't work, as we are all witnessing.

I grew up playing nothing other than straight pool, love, appreciate, and understand the game, nor do I have any bad feelings toward JS. Just trying to explain what should have been obvious. Good luck to both you and John.

Not looking for a debate, I'm out.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't believe the video is not out yet, I will watch it when it gets released, but me personally, I went from super excited to watching it, to not caring that much

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are many of us, especially 14.1 players, who would love to know from someone who has seen the tape, of the 626, approximately how many shots John had to make that in a tournament match situation, he would have chosen to play a safety on? How many of the 45 break shots were low percentage break shots that he managed to pull off, how many times after those 45 successful break shots did he leave a hard shot he had to make to keep the run going, and how many other extremely difficult shots he was able to make?

Last edited:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't speak for John. What I did take away from that night was his frustration of what to do next. While he did set out to break the record, planning what to do after had to be the furthest thing from his mind. He really enjoyed the format I was lucky enough to see it in, and had many requests to do similar events, here, and abroad.
It took a team of people to make this happen, and that team will have to decide the next steps.

Did you watch the video uncut unedited

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Thanks for the offer, but I was actually just wondering why a forum with approximately 69,000, die hard, pool fan members and in all this time no one had volunteered that they had seen it and given some non-biased opinions and/or observations.

69,000 members... not all entirely active though. 60,000+ of them have probably not even heard of this run.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I doubt have any doubts of the run...

How was the video quality? Was the camera straight and a good view of the table? Was the video cut for time in anyway (ie taking a break)?

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Originally Posted by jimmyg View Post

69,000 members... not all entirely active though. 60,000+ of them have probably not even heard of this run.

Surely not all active, and also very likely most have not heard of this run. Still this thread has over 16,000 views, granted many by the same members, but 16,000 none the less. And there are other highly viewed threads covering this same topic.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
There are many of us, especially 14.1 players, who would love to know from someone who has seen the tape, of the 626, approximately how many shots John had to make that in a tournament match situation, he would have chosen to play a safety on? How many of the 45 break shots were low percentage break shots that he managed to pull off, how many times after those 45 successful break shots did he leave a hard shot he had to make to keep the run going, and how many other extremely difficult shots he was able to make?

Doesn't matter if he would have played safe, Willie's run after the initial match was played the same way.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Doesn't matter if he would have played safe, Willie's run after the initial match was played the same way.
I agree with a small difference. The match was to 200. After the first 100 balls, I suspect that Willie would have tried "non-competition" shots to keep the run going. And maybe even before he reached 100. But so far as anyone alive seems to know, Willie took no circus shots at all.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
... But so far as anyone alive seems to know, Willie took no circus shots at all.

Just goes to show you how easy straight pool is. :)

I’d like to see the unedited version because I wanna sink into it and feel the tension and nervousness fully. The time between shots and racking and all is important to me as well. The breaks he may have taken not so much but I’d just fast forward.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I’m not up on the latest technical details, but isn’t DVD ‘copy protection’ fairly advanced these days? Hollywood studios promptly release movies on disc they have spent hundreds of millions making. I would estimate John is currently leaving $10-20K on the table that would likely go a long way toward paying off his expenses. Hard to estimate future/total revenues, but If another top 14.1 player decided to (successfully) go after his record, who would buy the DVD then?

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Very easily copied with a screen recording program

No way to keep them from being duplicated
But its not like there will be 500 14.1 players looking for copies
All will want originals with a nice book or something else lile that included

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Very easily copied with a screen recording program

No way to keep them from being duplicated
But its not like there will be 500 14.1 players looking for copies
All will want originals with a nice book or something else lile that included
Exactly. If you can see it on your screen, you can make a copy. The video editing software I use comes with a tool. You click a button and it video records a window or your whole screen along with the sound. There are also free tools available.

There is little incentive for someone else to copy and sell. If they have any advertising or word leaks out, John could stop them.