Cleaning the balls

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Billiard champion Robert Cannefax (who published a diamond system pamphlet) had a remarkable solution to an equipment problem. When he was asked to play on a table where the cloth was slow, he took out his pen knife and slit the cloth. He never played in tournaments again.

I think the players should not get involved in cleaning the balls. Just ask the TD to provide a clean set of balls.

I'm reminded of one horrible match I had at the Sands. My opponent sweat like a pig on a spit. Wet hands. He used a lot of powder. When he racked, the balls became covered with talc mud. Every shot was a skid. I should have listened to Sigel and played every shot with outside english. Instead, I lost. In retrospect I should have asked for a clean set of balls after the first rack and not allowed my opponent to touch any ball.

Yes the TD should be involved but not all tournaments have an official or efficient one LOL I am sure many of the tournaments we play in are pretty casual that don't often need officiating by an "official" official.

I love that guy's response LOL I can see Earl doing something similar.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting issue;
While the official rules specify a player may request the balls be cleaned at anytime, back-in-the-day, no room ever had a ball polishing machine. I believe part of the (most diligent) owner’s nightly close-up routine (along with table brushing/covering), was wiping them down by hand (?). The best players were those who’s skill set included the ability to gradually adapt well to changing conditions. If your opponent can only play his best with polished balls, doesn’t that rule thus unfairly negate the more experienced player’s advantage?

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The oddity to this theme is that there are rules for sanctioned pool tournaments that
specifically govern this very point and pool balls cannot be waxed nor polished before
a tournament. If so, the balls must be cleaned before being used for tournament play.

Polished pool balls have very little cling effect and as the balls get used more & more,
the object balls acquire increased throw. Anyway, clean pool balls are more enjoyable
to play with and that’s exactly why I bought a Ballstar Polisher a long time ago...works great.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
playing for money why on earth would you even ask the td for a ruling. just tell him no that is the equipment everyone has been playing on and you arent cleaning the balls.

he wants the balls cleaned as it favors him, so why do it. ask him for the wild seven then.

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Put into washing machine with LIQUID DETERGENT (not powder) and BLEACH.
Then POLISH TWICE.

The ball set will look like this when properly done.
Now you polish.
good Luck.
(if washing machine makes too much noise, use a 5gal bucket)
Make liquid soap & bleach solution strong

Attachments

• 0043.jpg
    0043.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 94

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
The ball set will look like this when properly done.
Now you polish.
good Luck.
(if washing machine makes too much noise, use a 5gal bucket)
Make liquid soap & bleach solution strong

Like a laundry washing machine? Or are you talking dish washer?

I don’t think my washing machine would get along well with 16 balls banging around

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like a laundry washing machine? Or are you talking dish washer?

I don’t think my washing machine would get along well with 16 balls banging around

While some seem to be ok with dish soap on pool balls, my experience is that it takes off the slickest outer layer.

It isn't a food plate and shouldn't be treated as such. I say, use a specifically developed pool ball polish.