Another APA thread

Billiardsfan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know you all think you are so much better than the APA bangers and all but this is an example of what the local APA does when one of our own is in need. A fellow league banger passed away from cancer Friday morning and this is the response from just the teams and players from that division. RIP Robert Smith.

Attachments

• 20150403_213243.jpg
    20150403_213243.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 563

Billiardsfan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Raised a couple thousand in just a couple hours for his widow. League operators opened up their wallets and donated as well.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nobody thinks they're better then Apa bangers. The crappy league operators and sandbagging put a bad taste in people's mouth but congratulations on taking a nice thing like raising money for someone in need and turning it into a negative post with the ignorant first line you typed :thumbup:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know you all think you are so much better than the APA bangers and all but this is an example of what the local APA does when one of our own is in need. A fellow league banger passed away from cancer Friday morning and this is the response from just the teams and players from that division. RIP Robert Smith.

Please explain what "so much better than the APA bangers" means? That no-one else does charity events? Silly way to do what would have been a nice post.

I've been going to every charity tournament my pool hall has had for years, not in the APA.

https://www.facebook.com/neusapoolleague/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums

What we talk about being better than the APA is rules and average skill level.

Last edited:

Billiardsfan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Trob, it wouldn't take me long to copy and post many negative posts regarding the players on here. You've been on here long enough to see it. Glad I seem to have found the minority on here so quickly.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Trob, it wouldn't take me long to copy and post many negative posts regarding the players on here. You've been on here long enough to see it. Glad I seem to have found the minority on here so quickly.

I will admit I am not familiar with the APA, the only thing I "know" is what I read here. The impression I get about the APA is not about its players being "bangers", rather it is that some APA players find sandbagging and outright cheating acceptable. Of course due to the"squeaky wheel gets the grease" syndrome you hear much about this when it may involve a very, very small minority. To someone not familiar with the APA it seems that sandbagging to keep handicaps down is pretty widespread, partially caused by the 23 rule. A lot of people also mention LOs serving only their own best interests as far as limited paybacks and rule interpretations,etc.. To me it does not seem like an LO should be able to earn a living or even supplement a living by running leagues as this may interfere with the LOs integrity. In short, I think some question the integrity of some that play APA not their skills. On the other hand you do not need to look far to find those short on integrity in everyday life.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Well done, you and the folks involved.

Condolences to his family, and to his pool family as well

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will admit I am not familiar with the APA, the only thing I "know" is what I read here. The impression I get about the APA is not about its players being "bangers", rather it is that some APA players find sandbagging and outright cheating acceptable. Of course due to the"squeaky wheel gets the grease" syndrome you hear much about this when it may involve a very, very small minority. To someone not familiar with the APA it seems that sandbagging to keep handicaps down is pretty widespread, partially caused by the 23 rule. A lot of people also mention LOs serving only their own best interests as far as limited paybacks and rule interpretations,etc.. To me it does not seem like an LO should be able to earn a living or even supplement a living by running leagues as this may interfere with the LOs integrity. In short, I think some question the integrity of some that play APA not their skills. On the other hand you do not need to look far to find those short on integrity in everyday life.

1st...my condolences to his friends and family.
i do not agree entirely with the op's decision to use this situation in his attempt to show apa and its players in a positive light.

however it is somewhat understandable due the proliferation of negativity displayed on this site concerning apa and its members.

i have no problem with lo's earning a living running leagues. unlike a certain very popular league on this site the apa has addressed your concerns about lo's being put in a situation that may compromise their integrity. unlike other leagues apa lo's are forbidden to play on any team in playoffs or higher level qualifiers thus they have no monetary incentive for any particular team to reach nationals.

i will give you an example of what can happen when leagues allows their lo's to play on teams at nationals.

now i am not saying this lo was guilty or not...just saying the rules allowing lo's to participate enabled him to put himself in a position that questioned his integrity and smacks of impropriety .

at last years bcapl team nationals this lo." supposedly" substituted one of his players with an ineligible player. he "supposedly " falsified score sheets showing this player was on his team and had the required matches played.

several members of this forum that play in that league posted on here that this "supposedly" ineligible player did not play on this lo's team.

the bcapl did investigate but apparently did not find enough irrefutable proof to disqualify the lo's team.apparently they did find some shenanigans going on as this lo was barred from playing in singles at the nationals. it seems to boil down to a he said...she said situation .

the above situation would never happen in apa...not because the lo's are above reproach...because rules are in place to prevent such situations from happening.

whether you like apa or not ...you gotta admit they have a damn good rule in place that other leagues do not have.

Last edited:

liakos

Banned
This is the kind of post that deserves a short ban to the op!

Taking 2 entirely difference situations and combining them into 1;)

ISIS just beheaded 6 people, so let's start a war with Canada!!! Uuhhhhhhh ok sure why not got nuttin bedda to do right!

The op is definitely lacking in the common sense side of things! Rip to the deceased and may God have mercy on us all,,,,, (even to the nonbelievers)!

Happy Easter to all those that are celebrating it today:) ( I'm Greek orthodox, so mine is next week) either way, enjoy the day and never forget the sacrifice that others have made for us!

Eli

tashworth19191

Pool will make you humble
Silver Member
I don't think most of the comments that are bad about APA say the people are bad. Most people I met in APA are nice. I don't like APA format, rules, or a few league operators that post on here, but I love the people. I stated playing NAPA and BCA and like it much better (and scoring is much easier).

:)

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member
I didn't think there would be any references to ISIS when I posted this?

Well what do you expect when you mix together cancer and losing a friend with ya'll think your better than apa bangers.
You should get some red for this, you could have went about this entirely different

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think most of the comments that are bad about APA say the people are bad. Most people I met in APA are nice. I don't like APA format, rules, or a few league operators that post on here, but I love the people. I stated playing NAPA and BCA and like it much better (and scoring is much easier).

i guess you missed all the posts in apa hate threads that refer to apa members as drunks...ass hats ...bangers ..rule breakers...cheaters .and a few references that apa is entirely at fault for the state that pool is in today.

not to mention that since all apa players are bangers they have no biz playing with a custom cue. yep...their level of play is beneath the right to purchase and play with a custom cue. i almost spit my drink on my keyboard when i read that one. must be true since i read it on this forum ...right ?

2strong4u

Banned
This whole thread is rubbish.

You disrespect the man's death by posting this nonsense. You should be ashamed. If I knew this person I'd be looking to discuss this with you in person.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
This whole thread is rubbish.

You disrespect the man's death by posting this nonsense. You should be ashamed. If I knew this person I'd be looking to discuss this with you in person.

I don't really agree, but I'm not sure I disagree completely. I think this is all in your perspective. The OP sees an opportunity to point out to the APA haters that regardless of what you might think of the APA it isn't all bad. Perhaps his timing was a little off, but I'd have tothink that the person that was the object of the benefit would have not seen this thread as being disrespectful as he was an APA member and a big enough part of his league that he was known and admired enough by the folks there for the benefit to have been a successful event. I'm sure no disrespect was intended.

As to loriders comments a couple of posts prior to this one, I couldn't agree more. I've read many threads bashing the APA and the members and wether you think so or not, yes, some are that bad, but to be fair every league, organizations, and gambling agreement has it fair share of assholes, sandbaggers, whiners, .... in the APA the brand of APA bad guys might be a little different than the BCA bad guys or money league bad guys. In the APA generally there is never really any money on the line, but when you put money on the table a whole different breed of asshole appears and the "money" asshole can be far worse than the "my skill level is to high" asshole, but both are intollerable and neither is good for the game.

That being said, to be fair each has it's share of good guys too. I doubt that every player at the poolhall that weekend was an APA player. But everyone was there to honor a fellow player and his family, so for something like this we can come together, most of the rest of the time the relationship is adversarial, and that's too bad.

The fact is that each has players and they are really good players, each has bangers, assholes, whiners, drunks, sex fiends, crooks, etc...
So lets all own it. We all have a goal, even if that goal is just to get drunk, laid, and have some fun, and lets all admit that now with state pool is in in the United States we all need each other, and lets see if we can find other ways to come together for the good of the game without it involving the death of a fellow player.

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't really agree, but I'm not sure I disagree completely. I think this is all in your perspective. The OP sees an opportunity to point out to the APA haters that regardless of what you might think of the APA it isn't all bad. Perhaps his timing was a little off, but I'd have tothink that the person that was the object of the benefit would have not seen this thread as being disrespectful as he was an APA member and a big enough part of his league that he was known and admired enough by the folks there for the benefit to have been a successful event. I'm sure no disrespect was intended.

As to loriders comments a couple of posts prior to this one, I couldn't agree more. I've read many threads bashing the APA and the members and wether you think so or not, yes, some are that bad, but to be fair every league, organizations, and gambling agreement has it fair share of assholes, sandbaggers, whiners, .... in the APA the brand of APA bad guys might be a little different than the BCA bad guys or money league bad guys. In the APA generally there is never really any money on the line, but when you put money on the table a whole different breed of asshole appears and the "money" asshole can be far worse than the "my skill level is to high" asshole, but both are intollerable and neither is good for the game.

That being said, to be fair each has it's share of good guys too. I doubt that every player at the poolhall that weekend was an APA player. But everyone was there to honor a fellow player and his family, so for something like this we can come together, most of the rest of the time the relationship is adversarial, and that's too bad.

The fact is that each has players and they are really good players, each has bangers, assholes, whiners, drunks, sex fiends, crooks, etc...
So lets all own it. We all have a goal, even if that goal is just to get drunk, laid, and have some fun, and lets all admit that now with state pool is in in the United States we all need each other, and lets see if we can find other ways to come together for the good of the game without it involving the death of a fellow player.

i couldnt have said it better myself. . :thumbup:

it does get tiring to constantly hear whats wrong with apa but when the same or worse happens in another league and its posted on here its largely ignored ...compared to when apa is mentioned.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member

As lorider and cello point out, it is very commonplace here to speak of APA players with disdain. It happens all the time.

It becomes tiresome. The people in our APA division here are like family of a sort. We have a great bunch of people playing here, and I'm proud to call them my friends. So yes, I get defensive when "APA player" is used to demean folks. Not talking about ability, I get that and don't argue the difference. I'm speaking about the inference that all APA players are three-eyed drunken inbreds.