Wow. What a lineup. 1985 tournament

Billiardbills

Billiard Bill
Silver Member
That's all. Just wish I could have been there!!!

e1797b48823f8f11cfcdf9e75e824a71.jpg

Thank you,

Bill Lister
Cell/text- 239.823.0408
PayPal- Billiardbills@gmail.com
www.billiardbills.com
www.facebook.com/billiardbills

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm confused by the original article. It says Keith went undefeated through the event, but then says he beat Davenport twice. How do you play someone twice on the A side? It says Lebron beat Crane twice, which makes sense - once to send Crane to the B side and once in the B side final.

Am I missing something?

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's all. Just wish I could have been there!!!

And don't bad mouth me about my post... (you may or may not know)
that writing and speaking the English language are important to me.
Hell, someone has to pay attention to OUR language.
Why am I not surprised. :)

Other than that, great names in a great tournament!

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm confused by the original article. It says Keith went undefeated through the event, but then says he beat Davenport twice. How do you play someone twice on the A side? It says Lebron beat Crane twice, which makes sense - once to send Crane to the B side and once in the B side final.

Am I missing something?

Notice that 3rd and 4th were tied, as with a single-elimination format. But below 4th place, all the positions are grouped as with a double-elimination format.

So it looks like they used a hybrid format, playing double-elimination down to the final two on the winners' and losers' sides, and then playing single-elimination for the final four.

So McCready could have knocked Davenport to the losers' side and then played him again in one of the semifinal matches.

Last edited:

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Gary Pinkowski put that on

He won a spot on the Miller Team beating Steve Mezerak on ABC's Wide World of Sports. He called and woke up the house at 3AM to announce he just won saying Steve couldn't make the ball for the cash but he did! I think they were in Reno or Lost Wages.
He took that money and partnered with the B.C. Golf tourney and lived on that for years.
Man that was another time. He also did an annual event for Jerry's kids.

No one could out laugh Gary. He could steal your cash and be your buddy all while talking to his buddies in Checkoslovician!
Absolute blast to be hustling with,
Nick :)
RIP old bean

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Such a lineup, indeed

Wow; Buddy and Efren must've been up all night drinking before the tournament, seeing where they finished...........

Thecoats

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for sharing seeing Charlie Brinson's name brought a smile to my face. A friend told me he picked him up once for a tournament and he asked him where is clothes were and Charlie said "I am wearing them, it's only a three day tournament".

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great players! Sad thing is that it is 31 years later and the payouts for most tournaments are worse than this now

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's Keith getting the fat check from Gary!

After the tournament, Keith bought everybody in the house drinks. There was a golf tournament going on simultaneously as well. Everyone partied until they dropped.:grin:

Attachments

• Gary_Pinkowski,_Keith_McCready_&_Mary_Lea_Jordan_-_'85_BC_Open,_Binghamton,_NY.jpg
    Gary_Pinkowski,_Keith_McCready_&_Mary_Lea_Jordan_-_'85_BC_Open,_Binghamton,_NY.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 770

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The most notable happening at that tournament was the party afterwards. There was a golf tournament going on at the same time as the pool tournament, and the party that ensued in the bar was epic. Keith picked up the tab. :grin-square: