What is the greatest single achievement in sports?

RakRunr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This thread was inspired by the "Greatest Greatest" thread.

I am not really a sports guy, but I'm always impressed by truly great achievement. My question is "What do you consider the single greatest achievement in sports?" I don't really mean career spanning records (that could be a whole other thread), but rather singular events or achievements.

I'll start with Tiger Woods winning the 2008 U.S. Open on a broken leg. He had to walk 5 rounds (4 regular rounds plus a playoff round + 1 sudden death hole) over five days, not including practice days leading to the event, knowing that on every shot he would encounter excruciating pain. And yet he never backed off, he gave it his all on every shot, and he succeeded.

In a similar vein, but not quite on the same level, is Keri Strug's vault to cinch the 1996 Olympic Gold in Team Women's Gymnastics.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Miracle on Ice should be in the discussion for sure. The entire team was made up of amateurs, average age of 21. Soviets were seasoned pros that won 6 of the last 7 gold medals. The Soviet team beat the NHL all stars in a challenge match 6-0 and was 5 -3-1 against NHL teams in the same year. The Soviet team was 27-1-1 in the four Olympics leading up to 1980.

Reactions: CGM

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Cal Ripken's baseball streak (which will never be broken)

Brett Favre's football streak (which will never be broken)

Playing at such a high level, for such a long time, through sickness, pain and personal tragedy, and not missing a single game.

Cal went 14 years straight without so much as missing a single game, flu, injuries, family deaths, etc.
2,632 games straight.

Just two example's of the numerous greatest feats out there.

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
Nolan Ryan. Pitching a no hitter at 44 years of age, and still throwing a 98 mph fastball in 1993 with a torn ligament in his pitching arm.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Jahangir Khan winning the 1982 International Squash Players Association (ISPA) Championship without losing a single point !

Dave

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Tramp Steamer giving enemas to 16 elephants in 3 hours 14 minutes, on October 1st, 1969. A record that still stands. :D

Ekojasiloop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The girl at the end of the olympics, I forget her name, she had like a bum knee and needed a score on the vault and got it to win gold.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kirk Gibson 1988 Dodgers home run in the World Series.

bottom of the ninth, 2 strikes, 2 outs, 2 bad legs, down by one run with one man on, against best closer in baseball - check swing "walk off" home run after fighting off several foul balls- for those that didnt see it. ;)

sgengaro86

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Johnny Van der Meer throwing back to back no hitters - record probably will never be broken. You would need to throw three to break it!

Ken Venturi 1946 US Open.